Crabbypatty

Adjustment of status timing question (Merged x6)

79 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Crabbypatty said:

So I checked out the list and went trough it with my husband. Anything that we could gather that would have my name on it would require me to have an ssn. We just got note from his health insurance that I can’t even be on there because I can’t provide a social security number. At the bank they told us I can only be a beneficiary of his account, nothing more. Because I don’t have the ssn. So at this point I’m kinda stuck regarding gathering evidence that had my name. What I am on and what we do have is dental insurance ( not overall health insurance), and I’m on the lease for the apartment. So what we do have all in all is this: 

-dental insurance 

-lease for apartment 

-wedding pictures 

- wedding band receipt 

-many pictures of family events and gatherings 

-text messages 

I know it’s not a lot in terms of evidence with my actual name on it, but there’s not much I can do without a ssn. 

do you guys think this would be good enough to send out the papers? Obviously we want to avoid getting an RFE

Thank you

It's OK. Make sure to include I-765 and I-131 in your packet. As soon as you get SSN, which should be after you get your work card, you should continue building more evidence. You can bring this evidence to interview if you have it, or reply to RFE if you get it. You'll need this evidence later on in your immigration journey. Just keep collecting it.

Do you not have any trips together (airline tickets etc)? Include that. Affidavits from his family and your friends may also be useful, though it's not the strongest evidence.

Edited by OldUser

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

It's OK. Make sure to include I-765 and I-131 in your packet. As soon as you get SSN, which should be after you get your work card, you should continue building more evidence. You can bring this evidence to interview if you have it, or reply to RFE if you get it. You'll need this evidence later on in your immigration journey. Just keep collecting it.

Do you not have any trips together (airline tickets etc)? Include that. Affidavits from his family and your friends may also be useful, though it's not the strongest evidence.

Thank you! Unfortunately we don’t have any trips together. I was thinking about the same thing with family affidavits, but figured the same that its probably not the strongest evidence. I can be on his bank account as a beneficiary is what they told us, don’t know if that will do anything though 

Just now, Crabbypatty said:

I can be on his bank account as a beneficiary is what they told us, don’t know if that will do anything though 

Yes, that's good evidence. Do it.

1 minute ago, Crabbypatty said:

I was thinking about the same thing with family affidavits, but figured the same that its probably not the strongest evidence.

The more evidence of all kinds, the better.

I think of it in terms of "what is the max evidence can I provide?" instead of "what is the least evidence needed for approval?"

10 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Yes, that's good evidence. Do it.

The more evidence of all kinds, the better.

I think of it in terms of "what is the max evidence can I provide?" instead of "what is the least evidence needed for approval?"

Right, agreed. If I would have family and friends write an affidavit, what would be the correct way of doing it and attaching with it? Just a letter with explanation and that obviously signed and dated by that person? Maybe attach their ID and explain how they are related to us/ me? 

7 minutes ago, Crabbypatty said:

Right, agreed. If I would have family and friends write an affidavit, what would be the correct way of doing it and attaching with it? Just a letter with explanation and that obviously signed and dated by that person? Maybe attach their ID and explain how they are related to us/ me? 

The whole article on it with sample can be found here.

It can be it either notarized or copies of IDs attached (as suggested by my lawyer). Of course, signed and dated.

Good luck!

Edited by OldUser

6 hours ago, Crabbypatty said:

I Just saw on this list that it might be difficult to get approval if the petitioner ever filed for a Spouse in the past. My husband was married before and petitioned for his ex wife many years ago. You guys have any experience with a case like that or anybody ever got denied because of that fact? I didn’t know this could be a problem, I mean it wouldn’t have changed anything anyways because we obviously love each other and would have gotten married anyways, but of course I would be interested in any experience regarding that

I’d worried more that your case seems so planned out, rather than spontaneously deciding to adjust status.  Most people visiting on ESTA haven’t established joint bills, lease, etc.   

I don’t think you will get denied, (“intent is established et the border”), but with his history or petitioning someone else, it could raise questions, so be prepared for them.  

As long as you’re sure you didn’t misrepresent your intention, that’s the most important thing.

Edited by SalishSea

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post has been deleted at its author's request.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

15 hours ago, Crabbypatty said:

Hey again, 

so another question regarding Timing of sending out the adjustment of status form (from esta). My husband and I are still missing a shared utility bill that will get to us by the end of the month to show shared assets. We have me on the house lease and as a beneficiary on my husbands bank account. Now if we want to wait for the utility bill to get here it will be just 6 days before our tile is running out to file the forms ( end of the 90 days) . If we send it out priority we should be fine but I’m still nervous cause it seems last minute. What date does uscis count? When the forms get there or the day it was send out? Cause then I don’t trust the mail always to get there quick so I’m wondering if the date of sending it out would be before the 90 days and therefore we would be fine anyways. 

thanks in advance! 

Welcome 👋🏿 

Please send in your AOS package ASAP. There is no such rule of waiting for 90 days. It is better to be in status when you file than to be out of status. Also you can upload evidence of joint lives as you get them

I just recently got my AOS approved from ESTA. Interview was waived.

All the best to you. 

5 minutes ago, TedsGirl said:

Welcome 👋🏿 

Please send in your AOS package ASAP. There is no such rule of waiting for 90 days. It is better to be in status when you file than to be out of status. Also you can upload evidence of joint lives as you get them

I just recently got my AOS approved from ESTA. Interview was waived.

All the best to you. 

Thanks for the info! May I ask how long it took you to get approved? It seems like right know they are doing it fast. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
15 hours ago, Crabbypatty said:

6 days before our tile is running out to file the forms ( end of the 90 days) . If we send it out priority we should be fine but I’m still nervous cause it seems last minute. What date does uscis count?

What matters is what ICE sees.

File your I-485 package. Add unsolicited evidence later as it comes.

10 hours ago, Crabbypatty said:

Thanks for the info! May I ask how long it took you to get approved? It seems like right know they are doing it fast. 

You’re welcome. If you click on the timeline beneath my username, you can see the entire process.

Also you are right. USCIS seems to be approving cases rather quickly, especially those who entered on K1 visa who then AOS after marriage. Apart from my EAD that was issued last year there was no more response from USCIS. There were many cases filed in 2022 that got approved. The quickest I have seen this year is 45 days! So be prepared to wait it out or to be pleasantly surprised by a quick approval.

Edited by TedsGirl
To clarify

1 hour ago, TedsGirl said:

You’re welcome. If you click on the timeline beneath my username, you can see the entire process.

Also you are right. USCIS seems to be approving cases rather quickly, especially those who entered on K1 visa who then AOS after marriage. Apart from my EAD that was issued last year there was no more response from USCIS. There were many cases filed in 2022 that got approved. The quickest I have seen this year is 45 days! So be prepared to wait it out or to be pleasantly surprised by a quick approval.

45 days is super fast 😳 is there a thread on here where I can see and get a feel for how long others have waited that filed for aos this year? 

9 minutes ago, Crabbypatty said:

45 days is super fast 😳 is there a thread on here where I can see and get a feel for how long others have waited that filed for aos this year? 

You’ve joined the right community as many on here have done their immigration process diy without the assistance of a lawyer, although some do. The many vets on here that assist and help are very knowledgeable and helpful in steering you in the right direction. 

Yes once you file you can join in the monthly thread with others who are waiting with you there and share questions, suggestions, etc🙂

Here’s April 2023 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.