16 posts in this topic

Just now, tin.e said:

Spouse's insurance has passed the 60 days mark.  We tried adding it as a new life event but it said we need to wait for the next enrollment.

This should have been escalated in the HR department as that IS a Qualifying life event.

Next best option is ACA plan (Obamacare) through a market place.

1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

This should have been escalated in the HR department as that IS a Qualifying life event.

Next best option is ACA plan (Obamacare) through a market place.

Would my application be affected if HR would be informed?  What should my spouse tell the HR?  Like I just came here and would like to add in the insurance? I came here through B2 visa and spouse is PR

4 minutes ago, tin.e said:

Would my application be affected if HR would be informed? 

What application?

4 minutes ago, tin.e said:

What should my spouse tell the HR?  Like I just came here and would like to add in the insurance? I came here through B2 visa and spouse is PR

There’s a window after marriage or after arrival in the US in which your spouse can ask HR to add spouse to the insurance. If that mark has passed, then you will have to wait for the next enrollment period.

What application?

my adjustment of status

There’s a window after marriage or after arrival in the US in which your spouse can ask HR to add spouse to the insurance. If that mark has passed, then you will have to wait for the next enrollment period.

I think it has passed. I am thinking if I can use a traveler's insurance

Just now, tin.e said:

my adjustment of status

No

Just now, tin.e said:

think it has passed. I am thinking if I can use a traveler's insurance

You can’t, you’re not a traveler.

Just now, tin.e said:

So the best option would be ACA plan (Obamacare) or there are other options?  thank you so much.

Yes ACA Obamacare, that’s what I was on when I arrived as a K1 and I got it after we married and before I even applied for AOS. No issues, we received tax credits which lowered the premium significantly (they look at total household income to see how much tax credit you can receive).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
44 minutes ago, tin.e said:

We tried adding it as a new life event but it said we need to wait for the next enrollment.

I would appeal that decision if you applied soon after marriage or arrival in the US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 3/31/2023 at 8:20 AM, powerpuff said:

Yes ACA Obamacare, that’s what I was on when I arrived as a K1 and I got it after we married and before I even applied for AOS. No issues, we received tax credits which lowered the premium significantly (they look at total household income to see how much tax credit you can receive).

Did you apply ACA obamacare in healthcare.gov?  Because I tried and it said my identity is not verified.  Then I googled it said:  

Can I get health insurance while green card is pending?

Coverage for New and Pending Green Card Holders

If you're in the U.S. on a visitor's visa and your children or family has applied for a family-sponsored green card, you're considered a visitor until your green card is processed. During this waiting period, you may be eligible for a visitors health insurance plan.

So I do not know.

No, I went to the insurance office (Fidelis) but you can go into any (Health first, Cigna, BCBS etc). The agent who worked there helped me sign up.

4 hours ago, tin.e said:
Can I get health insurance while green card is pending?

Coverage for New and Pending Green Card Holders

If you're in the U.S. on a visitor's visa and your children or family has applied for a family-sponsored green card, you're considered a visitor until your green card is processed. During this waiting period, you may be eligible for a visitors health insurance plan.

So I do not know.

I got the health insurance before I even applied for AOS. And I was treated as a resident without questions rather than a visitor 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.