Adam2658

Removal of Conditions with Divorce Waiver

16 posts in this topic

Hi there,

My soon to be ex wife and I are currently in the process of finalizing our divorce. We've been together since 2016, got married in 2020 and filed for my CPR from a K1. Since we've moved in together, we've started to grow in opposite directions, and I've seen a different person in her as she also has in me. Our connection has worn off, let alone our friendship, which was the bedrock of our foundation. Our marriage isn't fixable at this point, and not a good idea for either of us long term

In August, I will be removing conditions with the divorce waiver. I no longer have most of the proof that our marriage was bonafide. She kept all our documents so I'm not able to provide other forms of proof like our ex joint bank account, or us filing for our taxes together the last 2 years. I just have a few pictures of us on date nights, attending various friends' weddings, and us being goofy in bed together (though I don't think that would be necessary). There's also email exchanges cc'ed with our lawyer discussing divorce stuff.

I remember for my CPR interview, the officer asked us a few basic questions and told us that our case was basically approved before we walked in the interview (she had a giant folder stacked in front of her, which I assume was ours). 

I'm not sure what to expect from the interview to remove conditions, or what kind of questions would be asked.

My questions are:

1) Are there other factors that go into consideration such as job title, credit score, etc that would determine removal of conditions? I haven't really been successful in finding a career job as of yet

2) What should I expect at the interview? Will they ask me personal questions about our relationship? I don't mind but I just would like to be prepared. 

3) Is there anything about the interview or removal of conditions that I should be aware of?

Thanks

-Adam

I guess you mean you will file the case this August? 

If so, you need to get those documents and send them with your form. A few pictures and conversations about divorce have basically zero value. 

Even filing with a divorce waiver, sending evidence of a bonafide marriage is required. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

your name is on  the joint bank account so go to bank and ask for statements/they will probably charge a fee per page but its worth it

IRS tax transcipts If filed joint are also available to u / use your SS # online to get a copy from IRS

Hi @Adam2658 sorry to hear about your marriage that didn't work out.

Evidence that you currently have is not sufficient to get I-751 approved.

0. You'll need to know when divorce is finalized. You will be asked to produce divorce decree for I-751. Whether it's submitted with initial filing or as a response to RFE doesn't matter much. Better to include with initial filing of course.

1. USCIS will want to know whether you ever lived together. Do you have a copy of the lease with both of your names on it? Do you have copies of utility bills with both names on it?

2. USCIS will want to know whether you co-mingled finances. You can request joint bank account statements, since your name is on it. Contact your bank now and get as many as possible. You can also register on IRS website and get transcripts with both of your names on them.

3. Did you share health insurance, car insurance with your spouse? Any evidence of that?

4. Do you have copies of your travel reservations? If you booked flights, can you show reservations or boarding passes with both names in them? Any hotel reservations with both names listed?

5. Did you buy any presents, order anything in Amazon showing your name in billing address and her as recepient? Did you have any memberships together, in both names?

6. You would have to get affidavits from people who knew you as a married couple - landlords, friends, acquaintances.

7. If you can, get a sworn affidavit from her stating the marriage was legitimate but didn't work out. Usually, it helps to have an immigration lawyer write this one up and ask her to sign.

Expect to be asked many personal questions during your interview. Names of her parents, her birthday, how you lived together, motives for marrying and divorcing, etc etc.

Good luck!

Edited by OldUser

You are legally entitled to have whatever has your name on in terms of the documents. Bank statements, tax and house lease. As others have mentioned the pictures are icing on the cake unless it was with relatives, vacations or things that are harder to obtain than a simple selfie (and even then it's not that significant).

Personally I don't think job title or credit scores are given any consideration however the job title usually may have two benefits:

1. You can afford better lawyer with a better job/money.
  2. You usually have the means to provide more "Evidence". E.g buying a house together vs living with your parents, or going on vacations together, sadly the kind of documents that usually prove the bonadfide component are those related to money or those that are easier to procure if you have more money (joint insurance for example or beneficiary with 401K).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Adam2658 said:

1) Are there other factors that go into consideration such as job title, credit score, etc that would determine removal of conditions?

No.  100% based on the authenticity of the marriage.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Adam2658 said:
Hi there,

My soon to be ex wife and I are currently in the process of finalizing our divorce. We've been together since 2016, got married in 2020 and filed for my CPR from a K1. Since we've moved in together, we've started to grow in opposite directions, and I've seen a different person in her as she also has in me. Our connection has worn off, let alone our friendship, which was the bedrock of our foundation. Our marriage isn't fixable at this point, and not a good idea for either of us long term

In August, I will be removing conditions with the divorce waiver. I no longer have most of the proof that our marriage was bonafide. She kept all our documents so I'm not able to provide other forms of proof like our ex joint bank account, or us filing for our taxes together the last 2 years. I just have a few pictures of us on date nights, attending various friends' weddings, and us being goofy in bed together (though I don't think that would be necessary). There's also email exchanges cc'ed with our lawyer discussing divorce stuff.

I remember for my CPR interview, the officer asked us a few basic questions and told us that our case was basically approved before we walked in the interview (she had a giant folder stacked in front of her, which I assume was ours). 

I'm not sure what to expect from the interview to remove conditions, or what kind of questions would be asked.

My questions are:

1) Are there other factors that go into consideration such as job title, credit score, etc that would determine removal of conditions? I haven't really been successful in finding a career job as of yet

2) What should I expect at the interview? Will they ask me personal questions about our relationship? I don't mind but I just would like to be prepared. 

3) Is there anything about the interview or removal of conditions that I should be aware of?

Thanks

-Adam

Just FYI for a divorce waiver you do NOT have to wait for the normal ROC window to open to file. You can file as soon as you have the divorce decree in hand. Of course, you also need to make sure you have as much evidence as possible. 

A few comments/questions: 

• Have you actually talked to your former spouse about providing documents she may have on hand that could be used as evidence of a bona fide marriage, or are  you just assuming she won't give you those documents? See if she will be cooperative. 
  • @JeanneAdil is right about the tax transcripts. Go to the IRS website and download them yourself. USCIS prefers the transcripts anyway.
  • Pictures are good secondary evidence. I think the best ones are those that include other people (especially family). 
  • As someone else mentioned, see if you can get bank statements from the former joint account by going to a bank branch in person.
  • Were you one each other's health insurance? If so, see if you can get proof from your employer and/or directly from the insurance company
  • Any joint property or loans? Cars, a home, etc.? If so, do you have access to any of those accounts and/or paperwork
  • If you rented together, you should be able to get copies of the leases directly from your landlord. 
  • Normally affidavits are weak evidence, but in divorce waiver cases I think it's good to include 2-3. Even better if you can get an affidavit from your wife or someone in your wife's family, but friends or your family work too. 
  • Check into any and all bills, memberships, etc. that you may have shared to see if there is any documentation of those belonging to both of you. Phone bills, utilities, vet bills, Costco, Amazon, whatever you can think of. 
  • Proof of trips you took together - hotel/airbnb receipts, flights, photos that corroborate the trip etc. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Thanks guys. So based off the information I've gathered, this is the proof that I'm able to get:

- former joint bank account

- joint health insurance

- tax returns for 2021 and 2022 that we filed together

- pictures as secondary evidence

Is there anything other than proof of bonafide marriage that I need to have ready before the interview (medical check, biometrics, letter of employment/bank statement, etc)?

Also, does it make a difference whether I choose to remove conditions right after the divorce or if I wait a few months? 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Adam2658 said:

Thanks guys. So based off the information I've gathered, this is the proof that I'm able to get:

- joint health insurance

Is there anything other than proof of bonafide marriage that I need to have ready before the interview (medical check, biometrics, letter of employment/bank statement, etc)?

Also, does it make a difference whether I choose to remove conditions right after the divorce or if I wait a few months? 

No medical check, no letter of employment.  Biometrics will be either scheduled or waived by USCIS.  There is no need to wait.  You should file as soon as you receive the final divorce decree.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

25 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

No medical check, no letter of employment.  Biometrics will be either scheduled or waived by USCIS.  There is no need to wait.  You should file as soon as you receive the final divorce decree.  

My main motive behind waiting a few months is to get my finances and new living arrangement situated before I file. I also would like to get a better job than the retail one I have now so I have something to show for, if they ask what I do for a living.

I'm not sure how subjective the interview would be, but I don't want to give the impression that I could be the type of person who would require government benefits or anything of that sort in the future. Does waiting to file harm my chances though, or does it not make a difference?

32 minutes ago, Adam2658 said:

- joint health insurance

No one knows your situation better than yourself. It is best to spend a few days thinking about the other evidence you can gather and consult with the folks here. Some easy to get evidence that I submitted with my case were:

1. Listing my wife as emergency contact in my work portal
  2. Post cards that were addressed to both of us or wedding invitations.

Remember only God knows the true intentions of people marrying each other. The only reason USCIS requires proof is NOT to prove the legitamcy of your marriage but to make it harder for fraudsters to marry for the sake of the green card. The more proof people have the higher the bar will get for some random Joe to marry someone for a Greencard. Spend the weekend thinking about what else you can submit and I am pretty sure you will have a few more items to add to the list. Also start making a list of possible people who can provide affidavits. 

Last piece of advice is to try to have an amicable divorce. Having a resentful spouse on your back will probably not help your case if she/he were to contact USCIS.

Godspeed

4 minutes ago, Adam2658 said:

My main motive behind waiting a few months is to get my finances and new living arrangement situated before I file. I also would like to get a better job than the retail one I have now so I have something to show for, if they ask what I do for a living.

I'm not sure how subjective the interview would be, but I don't want to give the impression that I could be the type of person who would require government benefits or anything of that sort in the future. Does waiting to file harm my chances though, or does it not make a difference?

Your job does not matter as long as you can prove you are a person of decent character (no criminal records,drug use,...). That being said as I have stated above having your spouse help out or at the very least not be resentful will go a long way in helping your case. With the recent updates the I751 may take around 3-4 years to complete and having an ex who's resentful will not help. If you are helping her find a better living situation I would also ask her for a sworn testimony regarding the legitmacy of the marriage.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Adam2658 said:

The ONLY consideration will be the authenticity of the marriage.  Your employment, financial status, etc. is 100% irrelevant. 

9 minutes ago, A110 said:

Your job does not matter as long as you can prove you are a person of decent character (no criminal records,drug use,...). That being said as I have stated above having your spouse help out or at the very least not be resentful will go a long way in helping your case. With the recent updates the I751 may take around 3-4 years to complete and having an ex who's resentful will not help. If you are helping her find a better living situation I would also ask her for a sworn testimony regarding the legitmacy of the marriage.

I'm not worried about the legitimacy of our marriage. It was real. I'm more concerned about the technicalities that I have to have ready come the day of the interview. 

Also, she's not gonna help out. After everything gets settled she said she never wants to see me again. 

15 minutes ago, Adam2658 said:

I'm not worried about the legitimacy of our marriage. It was real. I'm more concerned about the technicalities that I have to have ready come the day of the interview. 

Also, she's not gonna help out. After everything gets settled she said she never wants to see me again. 

I751's have an extremely low denial rate so you are probably fine,that being said it comes down to how long and messy do you want your I751 to get. The more evidence and concrete proof you have the less likely you will encounter any weird questions from USCIS. I strongly suggest that you spend the weekend thinking about possible scenarios, and gathering as much evidence/info as possible. This is not so much about the effort but about how careful you are to plan it out. The actual job is rather irrelevant, focus on things that have a higher return on your effort.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.