AnxiousRaccoon

K1 RFE DIvorce Decree Absolute

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello, sorry if I am posting this in the wrong part of the forum but I just need a little bit of insight from anybody who may have experienced the following RFE or know of a way to ensure that I can resolve this properly.

I filed for divorce in the United Kingdom and it was granted back in March 2021. I received my Divorce Decree Absolute along with an email stating that the divorce has been finalised so I know this to be true. When sending the K1 visa application back in November of 2021 with my fiancée I included in the envelope a copy of my decree absolute to clearly show that I am divorced and free to remarry. The UK now sends these electronically to print off at home so am unsure as to whether or not this caused some confusion as to be fair the certificate does look rather lackluster.

We received an RFE on the 6th of March with the following:

"As evidence of the termination of the beneficiary's prior marriage, you submitted Decree absolute. The evidence is not sufficient because it is not a final divorce decree. - Submit proof of the legal termination of the marriage(s) of-"

To be blunt I am Autistic so this has really thrown me off because that is exactly what I sent them? 😅 I am going to get it notorised tomorrow (the 15th) to be safe. I have also written a letter of statement explaining the divorce procedures and terminology here and printed off pages from gov.uk about divorce and highlighted sections where appropriate. Will this be sufficient? I just don't want to end up with a denial.

336022417_1306898703190631_5541053245815431626_n.jpg

I would do exactly the same. Hopefully it will suffice.

Just as a "funny" story: a few years ago, USCIS sent an RFE requesting for a translation to English of a UK birth certificate. Go figure.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Regional forum, from K1 P&P - as the divorce decree is from the UK~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 hours ago, AnxiousRaccoon said:

We received an RFE on the 6th of March with the following:

"As evidence of the termination of the beneficiary's prior marriage, you submitted Decree absolute. The evidence is not sufficient because it is not a final divorce decree. - Submit proof of the legal termination of the marriage(s) of-"

You have to submit what https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/UnitedKingdom.html says to submit.  What you have to submit varies by the country within the UK where the divorce took place  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 hours ago, Mike E said:

You have to submit what https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/UnitedKingdom.html says to submit.  What you have to submit varies by the country within the UK where the divorce took place  

Im in England, and I submitted exactly what was been requested from this list which was the complete decree absolute but not the nisi as I didn’t at the time think that had to submit that also - just the finalised document (all pages).

4 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Also, the letter seems to be requesting proof of termination of prior marriage(s) for you (the beneficiary), but also from the petitioner.  What did you/they submit?

Ah that may have been where I blacked out my full name and my ex’s? I have only ever had one prior marriage and my fiancée has never been married before.

E0215635-27E6-470B-81DE-50C5B18ECF80.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, AnxiousRaccoon said:

Im in England, and I submitted exactly what was been requested from this list which was the complete decree absolute but not the nisi as I didn’t at the time think that had to submit that also - just the finalised document (all pages

This seems to be a recurring problem as reported by VJ. See  the following for an example how people cope with such RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
5 hours ago, Mike E said:

This seems to be a recurring problem as reported by VJ. See  the following for an example how people cope with such RFEs

Follow this. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.