iamanamericanwife

Green card lost and expiring, should we apply for citizenshipship?

65 posts in this topic

Just now, iamanamericanwife said:

Seriously?! 😓

How does the change of address work? If you file online, is not the address updated on everything automatically?

You would believe so, but I have read too many horror stories in the forum about notifications sent to old addresses. 

Now, for every bad story there must be several good ones that are not posted here. But with immigration, one should minimize the risks. 

8 hours ago, iamanamericanwife said:

Seriously?! 😓

How does the change of address work? If you file online, is not the address updated on everything automatically?

It should but do not count on it. And USPS will not forward your USCIS mail, it will be returned if not delivered and that's one more thing to go wrong in the process. Good luck on getting your stamp!

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

Timeline

So we are going to apply for I-90 and N-400. 

Do we need to apply for I-90 first so we can attach the receipt?

My husband hashad  a GC for 10+yr. Is he better to apply for marriage requirements or another reason?

I think we can apply online. Do we need to print something and submit actual pictures or they need to be uploaded and the signature is electronic?

What do we need to send/upload?

6 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

So we are going to apply for I-90 and N-400. 

Do we need to apply for I-90 first so we can attach the receipt?

My husband hashad  a GC for 10+yr. Is he better to apply for marriage requirements or another reason?

I think we can apply online. Do we need to print something and submit actual pictures or they need to be uploaded and the signature is electronic?

What do we need to send/upload?

Yes, I-90 first and attach the receipt to N-400. Best to file under 5 year rule. 3 year marriage based filing requires more evidence and is unnecessary.

You can submit everything electronically.

9 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

I posted here some questions regarding the I-90 because I thought it was more appropriate forum. Someone answered but I would like to have a second opinion: 

1. Class of admission: CR6

2.&3. Embassy or consulate where the interview happened

4. If you don't have the GC image you can file a FOIA requesting one or upload the police report in its place. 

5. If you have the address where you will live in Florida, use that one and file a little before you move -some I-90 have been processed in a few weeks-. I suggest that because if you use current address and then change it, they might send the card to the old one. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

2.&3. Embassy or consulate where the interview happened

My husband was on a H1B visa when we got married. We had the interview in one of the 3 USCIS offices in our city 12 years ago. Not sure which one 😅. No embassy or consulate.

4. If you don't have the GC image you can file a FOIA requesting one or upload the police report in its place. 

I think we could do that but one of the option in the I-90 is missing GC and the form specifically says we can use any form of government ID so I think it is not necessary.

5. If you have the address where you will live in Florida, use that one and file a little before you move -some I-90 have been processed in a few weeks-. I suggest that because if you use current address and then change it, they might send the card to the old one. 

The problem about using the Florida address is that we are not residents there yet and we are going to apply for N-400 that requires that you lived at that address for at least 3 months. Since the processing time is 1.5-2 yrs. In 2 months we will send a change of address. It seems extremely unlikely that the card will be produced in 2 months and I think it is likely that because the N-400 application the new green card may never be sent because my husband will be naturalized before.

The user that answered in the other thread talks about AR-11 and I-865 for the change of address. Is the I-865 really necessary? I did not know that at the moment I am still my husband's sponsor.

4 hours ago, iamanamericanwife said:

My husband was on a H1B visa when we got married. We had the interview in one of the 3 USCIS offices in our city 12 years ago. Not sure which one 😅. No embassy or consulate.

I think we could do that but one of the option in the I-90 is missing GC and the form specifically says we can use any form of government ID so I think it is not necessary.

The problem about using the Florida address is that we are not residents there yet and we are going to apply for N-400 that requires that you lived at that address for at least 3 months. Since the processing time is 1.5-2 yrs. In 2 months we will send a change of address. It seems extremely unlikely that the card will be produced in 2 months and I think it is likely that because the N-400 application the new green card may never be sent because my husband will be naturalized before.

The user that answered in the other thread talks about AR-11 and I-865 for the change of address. Is the I-865 really necessary? I did not know that at the moment I am still my husband's sponsor.

To know which field office you were interviewed at, look it up based on your zip code back then: 

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-a-uscis-office/field-offices

You can file the I-90 now -which is the urgent one- and then file for citizenship 3 months after you move. The average estimated times that USCIS publishes are just for reference; as I said, there are reports of GC replacements being produced in literally a few weeks.

And you are still your husband's sponsor unless he's already worked 40 quarters -10 years- or until he naturalizes.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Timeline
7 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

To know which field office you were interviewed at, look it up based on your zip code back then: 

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-a-uscis-office/field-offices

The one that shows up here is definitely not where we were interviewed.😓

The office may have closed. But is it the specific office that release the GC?

Cannot we just use  "USCIS California Service center"?

You can file the I-90 now -which is the urgent one- and then file for citizenship 3 months after you move. The average estimated times that USCIS publishes are just for reference; as I said, there are reports of GC replacements being produced in literally a few weeks.

Ok. But before he would have to go on for biometric, right?

And you are still your husband's sponsor unless he's already worked 40 quarters -10 years- or until he naturalizes.

The 10 yr green card expires in June.  And he started working not to long after he got the 2yr one. So he has definitely worked more than 10yr.

2 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

And he started working not to long after he got the 2yr one. So he has definitely worked more than 10yr.

No breaks in employment at all?

3 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

Cannot we just use  "USCIS California Service center"?

You cannot just make up things on USCIS immigration forms, this causes troubles down the line.

If unsure, file FOIA today, get all of his immigration files within few months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A parallel thread in the General Immigration Discussion forum

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/798719-lost-green-card-questions-on-filing-i-90-online/

has been locked in favor of the current thread.

Merging these threads would have created an incomprehensible mess.

Please do not start multiple threads on essentially the same topic.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

So we applied for the I-90 on April 24 for a replacement for GC that was lost (and it was expiring in June). The card was in production April 26. And today (April 28). It says that the "Card was produced"... And the website says "Case closed"!

We paid $540 as requested by the online process. I thought they were going to take new fingerprints and pictures but they did not.

1) Should not the charge have been lower if they did not need biometrics? Can we get a partial refund?

2) Since the GC was expiring in June we were expecting a new GC with expiration 10yr from now. The USCIS person on the phone said that it was going to be the case. But now it seems strange that they will use the old picture... Are they going to send a GC expiring in one month?! Can we appeal to have a new GC expiring in 10yr if that happens without having to pay again? 

3) We called on April 26 and scheduled an appointment with the USCIS on May 1 to go to get an I-551 stamp. The person told us that the card was already in the process of being produced and it was going to take about 30 days before we got it. The person said we needed to have an "urgent" reason in order to get the stamp because otherwise we could have just waited for the GC. Since I was concerned that something may not have worked out, we were able to get an appointment with the reason that my husband needs to renew his DL and we have a letter from the DMV. But now that the case  is closed, will we be able to get the stamp? Or should I just cancel the appointment?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.