Lonca

Must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States

19 posts in this topic

Hi

Anyone know what this means? Will they accept a cashier's cheque from a UK bank made out in dollars? Just to mention, the bank said that it will have the UK bank name on it and even though they have subsidiary in the US, they can't make the cheque from that subsidiary as it's a completely separate entity.

Or does it need to be a cheque or money order from the US (which essentially means I have to fly out to the US get a money order, come back to the UK and post the money order back to the US as part of the application).

I'm filing a petition for Alien worker from the UK and it's an application by post only. Credit cards aren't accepted (on the credit card form it says that the credit card must be from a US bank) and neither are online payments.

I contacted the UK embassy for advice but they ask me to contact USCIS but USCIS ask me to contact the UK embassy.

Thanks

Edited by Lonca

They don't accept local checks - only US ones. Shouldn't the US company petitioning the worker be the one to pay the fees? In which case, they have access to US banks.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Thanks for your reply. Really not the answer I was holding out for.

I'm self petitioning from the UK under NIW. The only payment option listed is a check/money order from US organisation or credit card from US organisation. So I'm out of luck.

Maybe my only option is to fly out to the US and purchase a money order under my name, bring it back to the UK and ironically post it back to the US, as ludicrous as it sounds.

You don't have anyone in the US who can pay the fee for you and you paypal/venmo/transfer them the money?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Lonca said:

Hi

Anyone know what this means? Will they accept a cashier's cheque from a UK bank made out in dollars? Just to mention, the bank said that it will have the UK bank name on it and even though they have subsidiary in the US, they can't make the cheque from that subsidiary as it's a completely separate entity.

Or does it need to be a cheque or money order from the US (which essentially means I have to fly out to the US get a money order, come back to the UK and post the money order back to the US as part of the application).

I'm filing a petition for Alien worker from the UK and it's an application by post only. Credit cards aren't accepted (on the credit card form it says that the credit card must be from a US bank) and neither are online payments.

I contacted the UK embassy for advice but they ask me to contact USCIS but USCIS ask me to contact the UK embassy.

Thanks

Do you bank with HSBC or Barclays?

Thanks but unfortunately I don't know anyone in the US who I can ask to create a cheque for me etc.

I asked HSBC and they said they can create a cashiers cheque in dollars BUT it will be from a UK organisation as the US subsidiary is a separate entity.

Therefore it will read 'HSBC United Kingdom' etc. on the cheque, not their US counter-part. Same for other banks (I asked a few!)

Also on the advice form it says:

If you live outside the United States, contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate for instructions on the method of payment.

I did ask the nearest (London) US Embassy asked me to go back to USCIS in the US as they couldn't help.

Edited by Lonca

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Lonca said:

Thanks but unfortunately I don't know anyone in the US who I can ask to create a cheque for me etc.

I asked HSBC and they said they can create a cashiers cheque in dollars BUT it will be from a UK organisation as the US subsidiary is a separate entity.

Therefore it will read 'HSBC United Kingdom' etc. on the cheque, not their US counter-part. Same for other banks (I asked a few!)

Also on the advice form it says:

If you live outside the United States, contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate for instructions on the method of payment.

I did ask the nearest (London) US Embassy asked me to go back to USCIS in the US as they couldn't help.

HSBC/Barclays can set you up with a checking account in the USA and they usually give a cheque book or (mastercard).

Edited by bonkane

Thanks, that would be amazing if possible but I'm not getting much information on the process by the banks.

Would I need to create a UK HSBC account in the first instance then call USA HSBC and request an international account. When I called they said only a debit card would be issued in the US without US residency (after opening a UK account). That was by calling US HSBC (local branch couldn't help).

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Lonca said:

Thanks, that would be amazing if possible but I'm not getting much information on the process by the banks.

Would I need to create a UK HSBC account in the first instance then call USA HSBC and request an international account. When I called they said only a debit card would be issued in the US without US residency (after opening a UK account). That was by calling US HSBC (local branch couldn't help).

I would create a HSBC bank account online and then go in to branch and ask for a US account.

However, I've just read they've sold their US retail banking subsidiary off: https://www.hsbc.com/news-and-media/media-releases/2021/hsbc-exits-us-mass-market-retail-banking

I am not sure if this is possible. I think its worth asking in branch for of the following banks HSBC/Santandar and Barclays.

Also, any luck with Revolut/Monzo etc?

Edited by bonkane

The HSBC branch couldn't help with overseas accounts, that would need to be through US by telephone and they said it'd be a debit card at best even if possible.

Barclays and Santander couldn't help (I visited them both in person). They said US side is separate entity but they could issue cheques in dollars (but from the working they wouldn't be suitable).

Revolut and Monzo I looked at but only they offer international transfers etc. not cheques.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, Lonca said:

Thanks

I would have thought London would have handled othe NIV applications - how did they handle payment before?

I would contact them again, quoting or showing what USCIS stated.

Is this for form I-140?

Yes, it is for I-140, it's not available online unfortunately, it must be posted to Texas.

I contacted USCIS again, they said they can't offer any advice for I-140 payments and they said I must contact my local embassy. My local embassy said they can't offer any advice for I-140 payments, and they said  must go back to USCIS.

Timeline
16 hours ago, Lonca said:

Yes, it is for I-140, it's not available online unfortunately, it must be posted to Texas.

I contacted USCIS again, they said they can't offer any advice for I-140 payments and they said I must contact my local embassy. My local embassy said they can't offer any advice for I-140 payments, and they said  must go back to USCIS.

I think just fly to the USA and get a money order and post it from there. I don’t see any way out 

Thanks, possibly that'll work but I'll have to make sure I can even purchase a money order before I travel. I have a UK passport and driving licence, credit cards etc. but maybe they won't issue without a US based ID and US address (I'm guessing they need that to issue refunds etc.) If USCIS reject the money order for example, it's going to be difficult to get a refund on it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Can your Lawyer not sort it and charge you?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.