17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Greetings good people.

My reference that I’m following is from this page 

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-iv-visaapplyinfo.html

So far I know I need to fill out the I-130 and G-325a. I’m not sure if I need to prove extra circumstance but I do have a physicians letter recommending that I travel abroad for better care after a spinal cord injury.

Here are two questions right off the bat.

1) Do I need to ask permission before I go and submit at the embassy? I read that you have to get permission in some countries but I didn’t see anything on the playbook I’m following.

2) The only G-325a I found has “Deffered Action” written on it. Is this still good?

Thank you for your valuable time.

EEB27DD8-78E7-4672-AD22-62F6BE284929.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Read the site  /  a   USC would file a I 130 for spouse visa 

and we no longer do G 325 for spouse visa 

USC needs to follow the guides above to apply for I 130

The U.S. Embassy in Abuja does not accept immigrant visa petitions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

This might be old information.  I thought they stopped using the G-325a years ago.  Wasn't it replaced with a new I-130?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

Read the site  /  a   USC would file a I 130 for spouse visa 

and we no longer do G 325 for spouse visa 

USC needs to follow the guides above to apply for I 130

The U.S. Embassy in Abuja does not accept immigrant visa petitions.

Yep.  You beat me by about 5 seconds.  It's a long, long time since I've heard of the G-325a......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

@General Buhari, I think I would contact the consulate directly for DCF instructions.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

This might be old informatioin.  I thought they stopped using the G-325a years ago.  Wasn't it replaced with a new I-130?

yes,   last time i used it was 2009 for a K1 but not needed in 2010 for a spouse visa

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

@General Buhari, I think I would contact the consulate directly for DCF instructions.

Nigeria doesn't offer DCF

Nigeria is not one of the country with a USCIS field office so they do not offer DCF .

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Before you can file DCF. You need proof of US Domicile. What proof do you have?  Also you need to be in a country that allows DCF filing. 

I know that you are trying to get around the requirements for your wife to come to the US with you for medical attention, but you need to make sure you are filing the appropriate paperwork. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

25 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Nigeria is not one of the country with a USCIS field office so they do not offer DCF .

I'm not sure where you are getting this information. The website you have been copying and pasting from earlier (https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-iv-visaapplyinfo.html#) clearly states:

The Immigrant Visa Unit in Lagos accepts I-130 petitions for immediate relative immigrant classification from American citizens who are resident in Nigeria. To demonstrate residency, the American citizen petitioner must be able to show permission to reside in Nigeria (e.g. Nigerian Permanent Resident status, an Employment Status, or other permanent status) and must have been resident in Nigeria for at least six months before filing the petition.

@General Buhari, I would try to contact the Lagos Consulate and ask if they will accept your Direct Consular Filing. Be sure to clarify that you are a US Citizen, that you have been a legal resident in Nigeria for years, and that you and your wife need to return to the US for a medical emergency. It would definitely help if you have been filing your taxes in the US these past years, and if you have done other things to maintain your domicile (back accounts etc). Hopefully they will be able to give you an updated list of the required documents, because the list on the website seems outdated.

Filed: Timeline
32 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

I'm not sure where you are getting this information. The website you have been copying and pasting from earlier (https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-iv-visaapplyinfo.html#) clearly states:

@General Buhari, I would try to contact the Lagos Consulate and ask if they will accept your Direct Consular Filing. Be sure to clarify that you are a US Citizen, that you have been a legal resident in Nigeria for years, and that you and your wife need to return to the US for a medical emergency. It would definitely help if you have been filing your taxes in the US these past years, and if you have done other things to maintain your domicile (back accounts etc). Hopefully they will be able to give you an updated list of the required documents, because the list on the website seems outdated.

Thanks. I emailed them but they responded with an FAQ that doesn’t touch on DCF.

Thanks.

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

All consulates offer DCF with exceptional circumstances. 

Email the consulate and request DCF for medical emergency , show upcoming surgery. 

Prepare I-130 and I-130 A ( this replaced the G-325 A ) along with an I-864 ( be aware you may need another I-864 for Joint Sponsor) . 

I attached current links that will give you a bit of insight and helpful vocabulary as ammunition…given your condition, I don’t seem them refusing. 
Even if they do refuse, you qualify for Expedited processing.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3#footnote-3

there are some limited circumstances in which the U.S. Department of State (DOS) may accept and adjudicate Form I-130. USCIS no longer accepts and adjudicates routine Form I-130 petitions at its remaining international field offices.[3

• Medical emergencies – A petitioner or beneficiary is facing an urgent medical emergency that requires immediate travel.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/filing-petitions-outside-the-us.html

Petitioners may also request to file at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in certain limited circumstances, as described in USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 6, Part B, Chapter 3, and only if filing for immediate relatives (spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, or parent if the petitioner is 21 years of age or older

7 hours ago, General Buhari said:

Thanks. I emailed them but they responded with an FAQ that doesn’t touch on DCF.

Thanks.

Email them again , show them the two relevant links for DCF and insist on urgency. 
BUT you must understand, to get DCF ( or even regular USCIS filing)  you must state intent to Re Establish Domicile in the US …

Which email address did you send you query to? 
I would call the embassy at this number +23412278955 

or email at this account mailto:support-nigeria@ustraveldocs.com

Hopefully, you won’t get an automated response. 

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 2/16/2023 at 5:53 PM, Marieke H said:

u can file for nonimmigrant like student and tourist in Nigeria but not spouse or fiancee

https://ustraveldocs.com/ng/en/immigrant-visa/

From that site

In general, a person who wishes to immigrate to the United States must have a petition approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before applying for an immigrant visa. The petition is filed either by a qualified relative or a potential employer at a USCIS office in the United States. Specific information about filing immigrant petitions is available on the USCIS website. An individual with an approved petition and a priority date that is current for processing (when applicable) is eligible to apply for an immigrant visa or K nonimmigrant visa.

and from another site

and from V J  past info

Mar 8, 2013  Nigeria is not one of the country with a USCIS field office so they do not offer DCF . Also if you get a Nigerian passport the US embassy ..

https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/dcf-lagos-nigeria-119505/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.