aperson

Mailed in N-400 a week ago, no receipt yet. When to expect it?

31 posts in this topic

Hi there,

It seems like the overwhelming majority chooses to file N-400 online. But I actually mailed in my application last week, per my attorney's recommendation. Now I suffer from the anxiety of not getting receipt notice immediately haha. So I sent it in about 6 days ago. My credit card has not been charged yet, nor did I receive any text/email alert regarding receipt of the packet. My attorney did tell me it was successfully delivered to USCIS. Do you guys know when can I expect to see charges on my credit card and getting the receipt notice alerts?

Thanks!

N400 Timeline, 5 year rule

FO: Washington DC (Fairfax, VA)

2/9/23 Sent application by Mail

2/13/23 USCIS Received

2/16/23 USCIS NOA1 date and sent the mail

2/16/23 USCIS NOA2 and sent mail with online access code

2/18/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment and sent letter

2/24/23 Received NOA1 and NOA2 in the mail

2/25/23 Received Bio appointment letter in the mail

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

3/9/23 Online Update: Case is actively reviewed by USCIS

7/20/23 Case placed in queue for an interview to be scheduled

7/26/23 Interview Scheduled

9/1/23 Interview, decision cannot be made

9/7/23 Recommended for approval; Oath ceremony will be scheduled

9/8/23 Oath ceremony scheduled

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
13 minutes ago, aperson said:

per my attorney's recommendation

Did he say why?  Filing online was a piece of cake. It could be another week or so  before you receive the receipt.  Had you filed online, it would have been instantaneous. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

Did he say why?  Filing online was a piece of cake. It could be weeks before you receive the receipt.  Had you filed online, it would have been instantaneous. 

Gosh should've pushed for online application. She said there's appendix pages we need to attach along with other supporting documents like tax transcripts, etc that it's better to file by mail because online system might be glitchy at times. Another reason she mentioned is that by filing by mail, we have an exact physical copy of what we submit to USCIS in case of dispute/issues in the future. She does this for all her N-400 clients unless someone insists on online application, and she said generally no difference in processing times between the 2 methods. Oh well ship has sailed now. But thanks for your insight!

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, aperson said:

Gosh should've pushed for online application. She said there's appendix pages we need to attach along with other supporting documents like tax transcripts, etc that it's better to file by mail because online system might be glitchy at times. Another reason she mentioned is that by filing by mail, we have an exact physical copy of what we submit to USCIS in case of dispute/issues in the future. She does this for all her N-400 clients unless someone insists on online application, and she said generally no difference in processing times between the 2 methods. Oh well ship has sailed now. But thanks for your insight!

Sounds like your attorney is lacking in technical skills.  I also have an exact physical and electronic copy of everything I scanned and uploaded....such as tax transcripts, etc.  The online system was not "glitchy".  I can see every single document I uploaded...and I added some unsolicited documents.  We received the receipt notice as well as the "biometrics reuse" notice within a few minutes after submitting and paying the fee online.   Good luck.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Same here the attorney recommended mailing the form instead of online, but she gave me the option to do it online if I want to. I ended up mailing the form and still waiting for the receipt, sure when they actually sent.

2/13/23 Mailed application to USCIS

2/15/23 USCIS Received Application 

2/25/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment (online update)

3/15/23 Bio appointment 

3/15/23 Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

7/25/23 Interview was scheduled  

5 minutes ago, ArizonaPHX said:

Same here the attorney recommended mailing the form instead of online, but she gave me the option to do it online if I want to. I ended up mailing the form and still waiting for the receipt, sure when they actually sent.

Thanks for sharing! It seems like attorneys like mailing it in. I know at least 3 attorneys are in the mail camp instead of online. Did you just file it? We sent mine last Thursday, probably was delivered by this Monday.

Edited by aperson

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

2 hours ago, aperson said:

Thanks for sharing! It seems like attorneys like mailing it in. I know at least 3 attorneys are in the mail camp instead of online. Did you just file it? We sent mine last Thursday, probably was delivered by this Monday.

Yes, they sent mine this week, and I'm expecting a receipt next week if all goes well 

2/13/23 Mailed application to USCIS

2/15/23 USCIS Received Application 

2/25/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment (online update)

3/15/23 Bio appointment 

3/15/23 Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

7/25/23 Interview was scheduled  

14 minutes ago, ArizonaPHX said:

Yes, they sent mine this week, and I'm expecting a receipt next week if all goes well 

Just FYI - the charges literally got posted on my credit card activities a few hours ago. We also filed form G1145 so hopefully I get text or email alerts soon about the receipt number.

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Don't worry you'll get your receipt eventually.

You were probably right not pressuring the attorney to file electronically. The process for filing electronically via attorney is a bit cumbersome. There's a lot of little steps and cooperation between client and attorney in order for client to track the case in their account. Just take a look here

Additionally, if attorney is not confident filing electronically they can make easy mistakes affecting application.

After the file is in the system, it shouldn't matter whether it was submitted electronically or on paper.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Don't worry you'll get your receipt eventually.

You were probably right not pressuring the attorney to file electronically. The process for filing electronically via attorney is a bit cumbersome. There's a lot of little steps and cooperation between client and attorney in order for client to track the case in their account. Just take a look here

Additionally, if attorney is not confident filing electronically they can make easy mistakes affecting application.

After the file is in the system, it shouldn't matter whether it was submitted electronically or on paper.

Good luck!

This makes a ton of sense! Thanks for the insight. The charges just got posted on my credit card activities. So hopefully I get receipt notice soon!

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

My wife’s attorney insisted on online. As in, do that way or find another lawyer.  

There were the expected glitches but the results speak for themselves. Oath ceremony next week, after filing the first week of November.  

33 minutes ago, Mike E said:

My wife’s attorney insisted on online. As in, do that way or find another lawyer.  

There were the expected glitches but the results speak for themselves. Oath ceremony next week, after filing the first week of November.  

I guess one could ask the question "How many online cases have you filed so far and how did they go?" when talking to a lawyer before hiring them. I do not have a strong preference to method of filing, as long as the end result is success and whoever files it for me has attention to detail required.

Out of curiosity, did you have a chance to review everything before attorney submitted it? Did you have to do one-time access stuff? How easy is it so save a copy of everything submitted to PDF?

Edited by OldUser

Just wanted to update. Card was charged last night and received text this morning with the receipt number. Now waiting for bio.

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.