MT & AP

Visitor Visas exchanged to Student F1 within US - Can a bring my husband with F2

11 posts in this topic

Dear friends,

I came to US with a Tourist Visa B1/B2 and I've adjusted the status to Student (F1) for 6 months more, however I don't have a F1 visa stamp on my passport, only the confirmation from USCIS.

My husband is on my hometown, can he apply for a F2 visa to come to US and stay with me?

Most people apply together for F1&F2 at the consulate, or when they are in US with another visa, they apply together to exchange their visa. My case looks particular once my original visa is Tourist, that's why I have this question, on my passport I only have stamp of B1/B2 visa.

Thank you,

Edited by MT & AP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You changed status to Student, you do not have a Student Visa.

It takes a long time to change status, how long did yours take?

I would expect his F2 application to be heavily scrutinized by whatever Consulate he will be applying at..

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Who suggested changing status within the US?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
6 hours ago, MT & AP said:

Dear friends,

I came to US with a Tourist Visa B1/B2 and I've adjusted the status to Student (F1) for 6 months more, however I don't have a F1 visa stamp on my passport, only the confirmation from USCIS.

My husband is on my hometown, can he apply for a F2 visa to come to US and stay with me?

Most people apply together for F1&F2 at the consulate, or when they are in US with another visa, they apply together to exchange their visa. My case looks particular once my original visa is Tourist, that's why I have this question, on my passport I only have stamp of B1/B2 visa.

Thank you,

Can you elaborate more. A school admitted you for a 6 month program? 

When you say confirmation, are you saying your COS has been approved by USCIS? 

Or you only have a receipt providing you with authorized stay until COS is approved?

Explaining it better:

I came last year to U.S. with a TOURIST VISA (B1/B2) and decided to study.

I've applied to a school (6 months program) and CHANGED MY STATUS with USCIS, I just got approved.

Now MY STATUS IS STUDENT (F1), however, I don't have a stamp on my passport as student. 

I would like to know if it will be possible, my husband apply from our hometown as a F2?

Timeline

Yes

when did you apply to change status?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

That was very quick much quicker than anything I have seen for a long time

Please let us know how the F2 goes 

6 hours ago, MT & AP said:

Explaining it better:

I came last year to U.S. with a TOURIST VISA (B1/B2) and decided to study.

I've applied to a school (6 months program) and CHANGED MY STATUS with USCIS, I just got approved.

Now MY STATUS IS STUDENT (F1), however, I don't have a stamp on my passport as student. 

I would like to know if it will be possible, my husband apply from our hometown as a F2?

Not sure how long the processing times are for an F2, but I would assume that it’s longer than 6 months? Have you checked what the processing times are? I think you might already be back in your home country before his F2 would be approved. (If it gets approved) 

Edited by Daphne .

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Timeline

F appointments are normally pretty quick.

Yes, your husband can apply for a F2 visa to come to the US and stay with you. He can apply for the F2 visa at a U.S. consulate in his home country. The fact that you have adjusted your status from a Tourist (B1/B2) visa to an F1 student visa, and don't have an F1 visa stamp on your passport should not impact your husband's ability to apply for an F2 visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.