Danny84

B2 Adjustment of Status

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been dating my girlfriend from méxico for almost 2 years now and she is costing on a tourist visa. We don’t want to do long distance anymore and i am thinking of preposing. how risky is doing adjustment of status. also is there still the 90 day rule ? what if her b2 is only good for 90 days. i just watched a video saying how risky this process is and k1 or cr1 is the best way to go. any advise would be appreciated.

Adjustment of status is painful in a sense that she would not be able to work for a year or so and would not be able to leave the US for year and a half or two. 

If you went CR1 visa route, once she enters the US, she's a green card holder with all the rights. Though it's also not a quick process.

Edited by OldUser

1 minute ago, OldUser said:

Adjustment of status is painful in a sense that she would not be able to work for a year or so and would not be able to leave the US for year and a half or two. 

If you went CR1 visa route, once she enters the US, she's a green card holder with all the rights. Though it's also not a quick process.

thank you. yes it still would be a longer wait for cr1. i guess my question is  still how risky is it and how do you avoid the 90 day rule if her visa is only good for 90 days? thanks!

4 minutes ago, Danny84 said:

thank you. yes it still would be a longer wait for cr1. i guess my question is  still how risky is it and how do you avoid the 90 day rule if her visa is only good for 90 days? thanks!

CR1 may be faster than Adjustment of Status in the end.

How risky depends how geniuine your relationship is, how much evidence of it you have and whether you planned AOS ahead of her coming to the US (e.g. immigrant intent).

Remember, you also need to marry her ASAP if you go this route.

She cannot adjust earlier than 60 days from her last entry. USCIS would presume she had an immigrant intent.

Don't underestimate the costs of adjusting and her inability to work and travel abroad.

Good luck!

Edited by OldUser

1 hour ago, Danny84 said:

Hello,

I have been dating my girlfriend from méxico for almost 2 years now and she is costing on a tourist visa. We don’t want to do long distance anymore and i am thinking of preposing. how risky is doing adjustment of status. also is there still the 90 day rule ? what if her b2 is only good for 90 days. i just watched a video saying how risky this process is and k1 or cr1 is the best way to go. any advise would be appreciated.

It is immigration fraud for her to enter the US with the intent to stay and adjust status.

You need to petition her for an immigrant visa.

5 hours ago, Danny84 said:

It is very risky because it is fraud. If your partner is not in America already then you can not plan to have he or she come on a tourist visa to adjust status.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

5 hours ago, Danny84 said:

5 hours ago, OldUser said:

CR1 may be faster than Adjustment of Status in the end.

How risky depends how geniuine your relationship is, how much evidence of it you have and whether you planned AOS ahead of her coming to the US (e.g. immigrant intent).

Remember, you also need to marry her ASAP if you go this route.

She cannot adjust earlier than 60 days from her last entry. USCIS would presume she had an immigrant intent.

Don't underestimate the costs of adjusting and her inability to work and travel abroad.

Good luck!

Reminder, it is against the site's TOS to discuss fraudulent activity in this forum. The OP stated that their partner is not currently in the US and is planning on visiting soon. This does not qualify for adjustment of status. Visajourney does not condone doing things fraudlently.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 hour ago, Unlockable said:

Reminder, it is against the site's TOS to discuss fraudulent activity in this forum. The OP stated that their partner is not currently in the US and is planning on visiting soon. This does not qualify for adjustment of status. Visajourney does not condone doing things fraudlently.

VJ Moderation

In fairness to op - if the girlfriend is not aware of op intent to propose ( surprise ) she will not be entering with intent.

1 hour ago, Unlockable said:

VJ Moderation

if you read the question it isn’t fraud because it would be a surprise. she is here visiting and has no intent on staying. i’m thinking of preposing. please be sure to read the the question before assuming fraudulent activity. i’m just curious how risky it is because of the assuming as you did. she came to visit with no intent to stay but i’m thinking of asking her to marry me.

2 hours ago, Danny84 said:

please read the list before responding.she is here and doesn’t know that i’m thinking of preposing.

OK. If she is here then you can proceed to AOS. However your first sentence in your first post was confusing. Possibly due to a typo?

Also when you said this...

what if her b2 is only good for 90 days.

it makes it seem as if she is not in the US because she should already be aware of how much time she has in the US if she has gone through customs or she can check her duration of stay via her I-94.

2 hours ago, JohnnyForeigner said:

In fairness to op - if the girlfriend is not aware of op intent to propose ( surprise ) she will not be entering with intent.

Still not allowed in this forum. Doesn't matter who is planning or if they are using the the plausible deniability tactic. Do not discuss fraudulent activity on this site.. period!

Edited by Unlockable

6 hours ago, Danny84 said:

if you read the question it isn’t fraud because it would be a surprise. she is here visiting and has no intent on staying. i’m thinking of preposing. please be sure to read the the question before assuming fraudulent activity. i’m just curious how risky it is because of the assuming as you did. she came to visit with no intent to stay but i’m thinking of asking her to marry me.

YOU are planning to bring someone over on a nonimmigrant visa and then have her stay and adjust status.   THAT is FRAUD.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.