Purplerose14

ROC - No separate extension letter for children?

16 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I filed the form I-751 for both my son and I on the 23rd January and received a notice on the 26th January 2023..the extension letter..

However It did not mention my son who is 19

years old and will need to renew his drivers license when the green card expires on March 18th 2023…

He is also working and needs to be able to drive because of where we live in Pennsylvania, our own transport is necessary.

I’ve been going through the forum trying to find someone with a similar situation but no luck…

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Edited by Purplerose14

15 hours ago, Purplerose14 said:

Hey everyone,

I filed the form I-751 for both my son and I on the 23rd January and received a notice on the 26th January 2023..the extension letter..

However It did not mention my son who is 19

years old and will need to renew his drivers license when the green card expires on March 18th 2023…

He is also working and needs to be able to drive because of where we live in Pennsylvania, our own transport is necessary.

I’ve been going through the forum trying to find someone with a similar situation but no luck…

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Hey a friendly reminder of my post… just wondering if no one in the forum ever filed to remove conditions for their children or know anyone who did who can try to help

answer my question… it will be sooooo greatly appreciated 🙏

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

call USCIS, say “info pass”, and request a tier 2 officer call you referring your case. 

54 minutes ago, Mike E said:

call USCIS, say “info pass”, and request a tier 2 officer call you referring your case. 

Thank you so much… I appreciate your response 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I sent in my I-751 for myself and my 20 year old son in December 2022. We both got separate extension letters in separate envelopes the mail. His was addressed to him. They arrived the same day, but it’s possible your son’s is just delayed in the mail. 

7 hours ago, fjxs said:

I sent in my I-751 for myself and my 20 year old son in December 2022. We both got separate extension letters in separate envelopes the mail. His was addressed to him. They arrived the same day, but it’s possible your son’s is just delayed in the mail. 

Thank you so much!!…  I appreciate your response… this helps me so much, I got mines on Monday so I will wait a few days and then if I don’t receive it I will definitely call … 🙏💜

Just to update, I called the USCIS this morning and told my issue.  The officer had no idea about the procedures of the I-751 process and had to locate information to read and still wasn’t sure about it 😐

My case is at Nebraska btw..

But she was very friendly and was willing to help and for that I was appreciative,  she asked if I filled out a separate form for my son which she said is what she ‘thinks’ I should have done,  

I told her I was going off the instructions from the form on the USCIS website and it said one form fee and two biometrics… and to include children on the same form..

So she put in a request and gave me a number and said they will get back to me by the 26th Feb… 🙏 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This was years ago now for us. But we never did get a extension letter for my 4 kids. Thankfully I never needed it. Fingers crossed it is in the mail.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Is your child eligible to be included in your I-751 ie did you both get your green cards within 90 days of each other?  Also is a 19 y/o considered a child for I-751 purposes (I don't the answer, just curious if that could be an issue).

Many people have had good luck by writing and mailing a physical letter to the Nebraska Service Center. This seems to be much more successful than online erequests or tier 1 service requests. 

3 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

This was years ago now for us. But we never did get a extension letter for my 4 kids. Thankfully I never needed it. Fingers crossed it is in the mail.

The officer told me that there was nothing in the system for him except for the last time when we filed AOS,  he really needs his letter because he’s working and going to college and drivers license will need to be renewed.. so fingers crossed… 🥺 

9 hours ago, OldUser said:

@Purplerose14 infamous Tier 1...

1 hour ago, RamonGomez said:

Is your child eligible to be included in your I-751 ie did you both get your green cards within 90 days of each other?  Also is a 19 y/o considered a child for I-751 purposes (I don't the answer, just curious if that could be an issue).

Many people have had good luck by writing and mailing a physical letter to the Nebraska Service Center. This seems to be much more successful than online erequests or tier 1 service requests. 

I don’t mind answering it here just so that anyone else who may have a similar issue can benefit some day from this thread.. 

I asked the question in this forum on a separate thread just before I filed, if I had to fill just one form with two biometrics fee for my 19 year old and the response was yes.. 

I also read in the Uscis website, the instructions read.. that I had to include any children who got green cards within 90 days… and so, his and mines have the same timeline and expiry date as well..

Honestly I didn’t see an age limit, unless I missed something.  But, from other responses I saw that others were getting through with kids his age and older.

Im hoping that this was just an honest mistake on their part and that they correct it or if any mistake on my part then I will be able to correct it…

If not, then I will write them and try again.. 

Timeline
14 hours ago, Purplerose14 said:

The officer told me that there was nothing in the system for him except for the last time when we filed AOS,  he really needs his letter because he’s working and going to college and drivers license will need to be renewed.. so fingers crossed… 🥺 

Can you renew the drivers license now before the 2 year green card expires? Some states will give 4-7 year licenses even if proof of status expires before then 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.