Stevephoto

Moving to the Philippines in 11 months--plenty of questions!

31 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, seekingthetruth said:

Just to be clear, don't use your credit card to get cash at ATMs.  That will hit you with big fees.  The exception would be that some banks / credit unions / brokerages will refund those feed.

Unfortunately, permanent residents, like 13A, also have to pay the travel tax that Filipinos pay.  Adult is p1620.

Oh ABSOLUTELY agree...I would never use a credit card for any cash advance...especially at an ATM!

Yeah I understand that 🙄!

Thanks again.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

On 1/24/2023 at 1:25 AM, Carpe Vinum said:

We will be going in the next couple of months. Going to use the BB one year privilege and get a feel for which visa to apply for.  My wife set up a bank account at BPI when she was there in April. She had to fill out an I-9 with them. Google it and read up on it. It was painless. 13A is probably best for you. SRRV has some advantages for me as I can get it cheap as a veteran. I have looked into the virtual mailbox providers. You have to be careful as banks are catching on and refusing to use them as the primary address. I.E they want an actual physical US address to send Debit and credit cards, too. I have Schwab and they are beginning to crack down on foreign users also. I have accounts at State Department Federal Credit Union and PenFed Credit Union. Both allow for foreign addresses. I see your bank is allowing a Philippine address. That is my biggest worry about relocating 100%. One day my bank just decides to suspend or close my account because I am in a foreign location. VPNs are fine but banks are becoming more sophisticated and can suspend your account. I just read of one account where Schwab suspended someones account because they couldn't answer a quiz about their past addresses and credit history. They were told that they would have to return to the US and provide a notarized letter from the US proving ID. As you can see I have been researching like you :-))

Most virtual mailboxes that I have looked at also give you a real physical address to use as a part of the service 

5 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

- You should subscribe to Philhealth as well.  A few years ago they raised the fee to 17,000p/ year for foreigners.  Normally this will only cover a certain % if you are hospitalized, that % ranging anywhere between 10- 50%.  Will depend on the services and it covers nothing for outpatient etc.  However the BIGGEST advantage of Philhealth is you will be admitted without having to pay a deposit upfront.  For example, if the hospital  does not recognize your private health insurance carrier, alot of times they wont admit you without an upfront deposit.  However, if you have Philhealth, they will.  This can be the difference between life and death as  well.  People have died waiting outside the emergency room as the hospital was requesting payments upfront, but with Philhealth, you will be immediately admitted.

Yes, I forgot to mention Philhealth.  Well worth the 17k and then you can supplement it with another plan.  One other advantage of Philhealth is that they review all the hospital and doctor charges, and have some caps.  So it is less likely that you can be overcharged.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

GREAT STUFF! Salamat everyone. So much to think about and plan. I will look over this thread over the weekend and start mt "to-do" list. We appreciate everyone.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

I would say simply:

1. VPN - An absolute must

2. 13a - Save yourself some serious hassle and do it stateside.

4.  Google Voice - A US number, and it receives text authentications.  It has worked for NFCU, IRS, Schwab, Vanguard, Nationwide, SS, and others for me.  I have only had one issue with a service spitting back that they don't take VOIP phone numbers.  It was non-financial and a non-essential service.

5. Need a physical address in the US.  A mailing service works, but a non-commercial address is better.  Be careful on address though.  Some financial companies withhold state taxes based on your address.  That is a problem if you lived in no income tax state and used a taxed state address of a relative.

6. Take Flicks' Philhealth recommendation

7. Police clearance - Might want to check with the consulate to see if it needs an apostille.  That is an extra layer of hassle.

8.  Money transfer - Use any service you like, but refer to No. 1.  Use a VPN so it looks like you are initiating from the US.  Never tell them or indicate that you live overseas. 

On the VPN, it can be placed on both your computer and a phone.  On the phone to allow you to do mobile banking and other services if you are more of a phone guy than a computer guy.  It can also be placed on an android tv box so you can watch US Netflix and/or Amazon.  Philippine Netflix has a more limited library.  VPN is also mandatory if you wander the darker outskirts of the internet looking for movies and TV programs.  

Finally done.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:32 PM, Talako said:

I would say simply:

1. VPN - An absolute must

2. 13a - Save yourself some serious hassle and do it stateside.

4.  Google Voice - A US number, and it receives text authentications.  It has worked for NFCU, IRS, Schwab, Vanguard, Nationwide, SS, and others for me.  I have only had one issue with a service spitting back that they don't take VOIP phone numbers.  It was non-financial and a non-essential service.

5. Need a physical address in the US.  A mailing service works, but a non-commercial address is better.  Be careful on address though.  Some financial companies withhold state taxes based on your address.  That is a problem if you lived in no income tax state and used a taxed state address of a relative.

6. Take Flicks' Philhealth recommendation

7. Police clearance - Might want to check with the consulate to see if it needs an apostille.  That is an extra layer of hassle.

8.  Money transfer - Use any service you like, but refer to No. 1.  Use a VPN so it looks like you are initiating from the US.  Never tell them or indicate that you live overseas. 

On the VPN, it can be placed on both your computer and a phone.  On the phone to allow you to do mobile banking and other services if you are more of a phone guy than a computer guy.  It can also be placed on an android tv box so you can watch US Netflix and/or Amazon.  Philippine Netflix has a more limited library.  VPN is also mandatory if you wander the darker outskirts of the internet looking for movies and TV programs.  

1. Totally agree! It is on the list and in the "budget."

2. That is the game plan. Salamat for confirming our choice.

4. I will look into google voice if keeping my old number is not an viable option. I had not thought of VOIP numbers.

5. Working on it and investing the tax implications

6. Already on the list!

7. Yes, we know about the Apostille process. We went through it last year when we bought the land (before Joan re-acquired her Philippines citizenship. Good point. I have several question for the consulate and I will add this.

8. I chatted with BPI (probably our choice for a USD accout and US checks take about a month to clear. Easy to handle now that we have the information, but it would be great to be able to use the transfer services for emergencies.

I am kind of old school (OK, maybe just "old--er!"), but ask @RO_AH, he'll confirm that I a skitterish about phone apps, but maybe it is time to join the 20th Century (I know, it was a bad joke!) By the same token, I don't go venturing too far online!

Regarding Netflix, yeah I know that Philippine Netflix is slim pickins--which is scary given the plethora of junk available on US Netflix!

SALAMAT again to everyone. Awesome as always.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

6 hours ago, Stevephoto said:

4. I will look into google voice if keeping my old number is not an viable option. I had not thought of VOIP numbers.

You can port your old number to Google voice for a one-time charge of $10-$15 rather than give it up.  I still have and use my Texas cell number that I have been using for the last ten years.

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:09 AM, Stevephoto said:

4.    Driving issues

A.    I have had a driver’s license for over 40 years. I understand that getting a driver’s license might be “interesting” once we get there. Do you see any issues with me obtaining a driver’s license as a person with a disability? To be honest, I would not be terribly upset to “retire” from driving, but it would be good to have a license for emergencies.

I followed up on this.  I have a step-daughter who is a manager of an office that does licencing medicals for LTO.  She says it is up to the doctor and his or her opinion.

What that means in real terms is that you may want to "shop around" if it is an issue to get the result you want.

Finally done.

11 hours ago, Talako said:

You can port your old number to Google voice for a one-time charge of $10-$15 rather than give it up.  I still have and use my Texas cell number that I have been using for the last ten years.

Would you still be able to receive texts?

6 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I've been using Google Voice as my primary phone number since 2006 when it was Grand Central before Google bought it out. It works for calls and text for "almost" everything.  You can send and receive SMS messages from your phone or online at voice.google.com.   Basically, anywhere in the world and have 3g or better data or WIFI, my US phone number works. If you miss a call it takes a voicemail, and transcribes it to an e-mail.   Every once and a while I will run into some application that will not accept anything but a true US cellular number but those are fairly rare.  It works fine with 'most' banks including Schwab and Chase.  You do need an actual US phone number to verify while creating the Google Voice account.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

19 hours ago, Talako said:

Yes I saw that. Sorry, I posted before I researched it. My badd! Thanks.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

19 hours ago, Talako said:

I followed up on this.  I have a step-daughter who is a manager of an office that does licencing medicals for LTO.  She says it is up to the doctor and his or her opinion.

What that means in real terms is that you may want to "shop around" if it is an issue to get the result you want.

Thank you so very much. I greatly appreciate it. My physician needs to sign off for me every time I renew my license here, so I know the process. I'll put my "shopping hat" on!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

9 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Yes, through Google voice.  It is what I use for text authentications.  I receive local texts on my local Philippine number, and I receive US texts through Google voice. 

I know I have US texts through popup notifications, and I they are also emailed to my Gmail account.  Voice messages on your US number are also transcribed and emailed.

Edit:  What Top_Secret said.  I answered before reading all the posts.

Edited by Talako
Updating

Finally done.

Great info in here. Following but still three years out. We just got back from two months over there setting up banking at a few places (BDO easy, BPI made us wait a week for permission). Also bought some land in Palawan and a couple condos in / around manila. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.