Lynxyonok

Taking a cruise with a citizen of Russia

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So, heads up. If you take a Russian beneficiary on a trip, you may run into a case where US trade sanctions kick in.

This specific itinerary involved going on a cruise ship registered in Bahamas, with the cruise company having physical presence in United States. The itinerary did not include any US ports.

Dear <...>

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We hope this email finds you well.

We’re reaching out today with regards to booking <...> sailing on <...> departing on <...>. Our records show that <...> in this reservation is a citizen of RUSSIA. Due to current United States trade sanctions against the Crimea, Donetsk, and Luhansk, we are required to verify this guest's residency.

Please provide the residency address of the guest in the following format:

• Full Name
  • Street Address and House/Building Number
  • City/Town and Postal Code
  • Oblast/Krai (administrative region)
  • Country

In addition, please provide a copy of at least two of the following government issued documents, that reflect the guest’s current residence address. These items are required to keep this booking active.

• Passport
  • National Identity Card
  • Driver's License
  • Permanent Resident Alien Card
  • Permanent Resident Alien Application with an adjustment of status application pending

Please send all documentation necessary to RoyalGSR@rccl.com with the following booking number included in your email: <...>

Once you send the documents, there is nothing left for you to do! We'll only reach out if we need further information. If in the meantime, you have any questions, please contact us at 1-888-281-9344. 

Important Note: You may require a Visa, passport, or other travel documents based on our itinerary. Please be sure to check their travel requirements with a Visa service or a local consulate before their sailing.

Thank you for your cooperation and continued support. We look forward to seeing you onboard in the near future!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

even a naturalized US citizen can not travel to certain countries if the country he was born in demands a tourist visa

a Cuban born man with US naturalization was not allowed to enter Brazil (as seen on youtube) as cubans need tourist visas

a person coming to the US on a K 1 visa can not take a cruise out of the US until the AOS is complete

my BIL married a Russian girl and her parents came for the wedding.   he made plans for all to cruise on the honeymoon and paid for all 4 

to his dismay they were not allowed to board the ship as the K1 bene can not leave the US and the tourist visa for parents does not allow them to travel to other countries .   Does not matter where the ship is  licensed /  it matters what port it leaves out of.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

even a naturalized US citizen can not travel to certain countries if the country he was born in demands a tourist visa

a Cuban born man with US naturalization was not allowed to enter Brazil (as seen on youtube) as cubans need tourist visas

a person coming to the US on a K 1 visa can not take a cruise out of the US until the AOS is complete

my BIL married a Russian girl and her parents came for the wedding.   he made plans for all to cruise on the honeymoon and paid for all 4 

to his dismay they were not allowed to board the ship as the K1 bene can not leave the US and the tourist visa for parents does not allow them to travel to other countries .   Does not matter where the ship is  licensed /  it matters what port it leaves out of.

Thank you. I was just puzzled as to why US Sanctions were applied on a European trip.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Royal Caribbean has US presence, and therefore as a company is subject to abide by the sanctions, no matter the itinerary of a specific ship.  A cruise ship wholely owned and operated out of Egypt, with no US ties, would not be subjected to this, for example.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

An update: the cruise line cleared us after providing a number of documents (internal passports, foreign (external) passports, bank statements, insurance / pension certificate - essentially as many links between name & date of birth & residence as possible showing we were outside of the sanctioned regions).

But of course, they made us think that something was still required - note how "not" is missing where it's logically needed (red lettering). 😅

Something tells me I'm showing up at the airport with three pounds of paperwork when this is all said and done.

Next step: Spanish Schengen denial appeal attempt #2 followed by visa application #2 🤣

<...> / <...>-2023 / <...> / 1-62046712433

Inbox

default-user=s40-p

RoyalGSR@rccl.com

2:44 PM (3 hours ago)

to me

Good day:

We have received sufficient documentation for Trade Sanctions Requirements and have cleared the reservation for Trade Sanctions purposes.

Please note Trade Sanctions documentation is required to sail however standard Visa and passport requirements may exist for the sailing depending on the itinerary and are independent of the Trade Sanctions requirements. For specific requirements consult with a Visa service or local consulates to verify document requirements for the sailing.

Have a Royally Wonderful Day.

Sincerely,

Jessie Chinchilla
Resolutions Project Coordinator
Edited by Lynxyonok

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Lynxyonok said:

Chinchilla

Better than a weasel. :P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
3 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Better than a weasel. :P 

That's to be determined - they took 1.5 weeks to review documents (typical processing time - 3-5 days) and responded only after escalation (due to my unhealthy love of cruising I have a high status) and even then the e-mail is cryptic...

When I survive this old immigration ordeal, I'm going to have skin thicker than a hog.

giphy-3850684381.jpg

Timeline
On 1/24/2023 at 6:09 PM, Lynxyonok said:

But of course, they made us think that something was still required - note how "not" is missing where it's logically needed (red lettering). 😅

And double the pride, double the fall, as Star Wars teach us.

And just like this whole immigration processes teaches us, always ask questions and never assume.

Because I was assuming the case is approved and closed - but it's not, all the proof still have to be brought along...

-------

Dear <...>

Thank you for your email. You need to present the same documents you sent us to the pier agent. Besides, you need to review visa requirements for all countries in your itinerary, which are separate from Trade Sanction Documents.

For example, if you should need a Visa to go to Spain, then you would have to request that visa from their consulate or Embassy, and also bring the documents you sent us for Trade Sanctions.

I hope this answers your question.

Have a Royally Wonderful Day.

Sincerely,

Jessie Chinchilla
Resolutions Project Coordinator

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lynxyonok said:

Star Wars

See next.

this whole immigration process

May the force be with you.

Chinchilla

Still better than a weasel.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 1/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, JeanneAdil said:

We've had a lot of pre war cruise experience with this while my wife was a green card holder, citizen, and two sets of Russian friends on tourist visas at different times with Carnival cruise line.  It's really hard to get a firm answer out of them, but it worked out for us.  Basically once you get on the ship all is good.  We never had passports or green cards looked at until returning to the US.

The huge issue we did have was with Russian friends on a tourist visa that arrived (several years ago) in early January, around the 8th.  Checking in to get on the ship the cruise agent noted the US entry stamp in the Russian passport had the previous years date on it.  CBP had not updated their stamp to reflect the current year.  While we were trying to find a solution to this problem a call was made to the local CBP officer.  Was taking forever.  Our friend finally found a copy of his plane ticket on his phone that showed the correct date of his flight.  It apparently was enough to convince CBP they had made a mistake.  We all made the cruise, just barely.  

After getting on the ship there were no issues on or off and passport were not needed until returning to the US.  Carnival does cover their butt by telling passengers it's their responsibility to have proper visas for each stop, but on one of our first cruises when I was getting the hard sell to book another cruise while on board, I had a long discussion and that's when I was told that once you are on the ship there really wouldn't be a problem.

At least that was our experience.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Neonred said:

At least that was our experience.

Thank you so much for your input - especially about checking the stamp right after New Year's!

Have you cruised with any Russians after 2014  - or even after 2021?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Lynxyonok said:

Thank you so much for your input - especially about checking the stamp right after New Year's!

Have you cruised with any Russians after 2014  - or even after 2021?

Yes, after 2014 but not since Covid started.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I wanted to give everyone an update in case this is helpful to others.

Cruising is a great way to get to know someone as it's in a way a honeymoon (dear Uscis agent in charge of my case: I am not about to be on a honeymoon, this is an allegory, please don't deny us for being too married 🙄) with many mundane worries cast aside. It's not cheap, but it is a great way to leave a lasting impression on one's significant other. Yes, I'm an addict, and I even have a crystal block sent to me by a cruise line to diagnose my condition.

Down to business.

In short, we're still on track to take a mutual trip in May. But here's what it took:

- Getting a Schengen visa approved after the initial denial - nowadays most denials are over so called "point 2" and "point 10": the purpose of a trip and the evidence thereof is unclear; we provided extensive proof of our relationship and other prior meetings to overcome that

- Getting trade sanctions bar bypassed - it wasn't just about submitting documents to Guest Services and having to print them all anew to bring along for the boarding; it was about the entire check-in process as well. Our cruise line flat out did not populate essential fields for Russian citizens making them unable to check out, which required a long chat with cruise line tech support.

To answer a question as to why on earth would I go through all of this? My significant other has no friends or relatives in any third countries, forcing us to be dead set on Poland for Consulate interview. In addition, my SO has never been to Europe, meaning that we had to open a Schengen visa the best way possible (in our point of view).

Is all of this going to work? Ask me on May 7th...

@TBoneTX and may the 4th be with us :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.