daniel046

(Need Help) RFE for AOS from Field Office

9 posts in this topic

Hey,

I just received and RFE from local FO saying "Submit evidence [my name] and [my wife's name] share a marital life together. It should cover the time period from [Marriage Date] to the present etc." But the thing is we have been married for over 2.5 years and also submitted bunch of evidence when we filed in December 2021, such as lease, credit card statement, bank account statement, renters insurance, photos, jointly filed tax return and such. 

So, I am not sure why would USCIS will need evidence from the day we got married rather than the day after we filed which was a year ago.

Should I resubmit all the documents already sent again and just add updated bank statement and leases and stuff?

Thanks for your help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, daniel046 said:

So, I am not sure why would USCIS will need evidence from the day we got married rather than the day after we filed which was a year ago.

Sounds like your evidence was not sufficient.   It is advisable to just give them what they want for the entire period, even if you send some redundant evidence.  Good luck.  Concentrate on quality, not quantity.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, daniel046 said:

So, I am not sure why would USCIS will need evidence from the day we got married rather than the day after we filed which was a year ago

You needed to have filed with evidence of shared life from the date of marriage , not start at filing date of I-485. 
Avoid re sending documents you already submitted. Just cover the period starting from date of marriage to today ( date of response to RFE) ..do a thorough job , it’s worth it.

1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

Sounds like your evidence was not sufficient.   It is advisable to just give them what they want for the entire period, even if you send some redundant evidence.  Good luck.  Concentrate on quality, not quantity.

So, Would following evidence be good enough?

Lease from apartment from Jan 2020 till now we got married 6 month after and renters insurance,

Bank statements from Aug 2020 till now, joint tax return of 2 years but I did not have any income. Credit card statements for almost 1.5 years, electricity bill under both of our names, photos with different family, Does not have photos of wedding as it was done during corona lock down at courthouse, Affidavit from family members and friend.

5 minutes ago, Family said:

You needed to have filed with evidence of shared life from the date of marriage , not start at filing date of I-485. 
Avoid re sending documents you already submitted. Just cover the period starting from date of marriage to today ( date of response to RFE) ..do a thorough job , it’s worth it.

I guess you are misreading it, I did submit evidence from our date of marriage until we filed I-485. But RFE is still asking for evidence from Date of marriage which was already submitted.

12 minutes ago, daniel046 said:
19 minutes ago, Family said:

I guess you are misreading it, I did submit evidence from our date of marriage until we filed I-485. But RFE is still asking for evidence from Date of marriage which was already submitted.

I did misread, thanks for clarifying.

They are effectively screening cases and giving you a chance ..to supplement filing , so they can consider approving w interview waiver. 
Since your original filing was adequate and substantial , rather than re send the evidence you should list what you had sent and add some new items room the start of period plus extensive proof from date of filing to present .

Example , If you have submitted 3 months of bank statements from year one , find one or two for different months , same for credit cards, utility bills, old pay stubs etc. 

23 hours ago, daniel046 said:

So, Would following evidence be good enough?

Lease from apartment from Jan 2020 till now we got married 6 month after and renters insurance,

Bank statements from Aug 2020 till now, joint tax return of 2 years but I did not have any income. Credit card statements for almost 1.5 years, electricity bill under both of our names, photos with different family, Does not have photos of wedding as it was done during corona lock down at courthouse, Affidavit from family members and friend.

Other things we sent that I can think of on top of my head:

- Showing each other as beneficiaries of life insurance policies, pension accounts, emergency contacts at work 

- Any evidence of travels together - boarding passes, hotel bookings etc. If you travelled lots during said time I'd also include a brief timeline 

- Any letters/holiday/birthday cards addressed to you both or given to each other including the postmarked envelope if you still have it

- Receipts of wedding expenses and any significant gifts between you both 

- Any bills you share that have both names on them - we did electricity and Verizon iirc

- Select few screenshots of online comms you keep up as part of your day to day life from Whatsapp or w/e you use to communicate when you're not physically together

We didn't have any shared bank accounts or taxes at the time nor any affidavits. Our original submission was as thorough as it could've been at the time including the above and we got approved without a formal sit-down interview. 

Edited by ghostinthemachine

asdf

22 hours ago, ghostinthemachine said:

Other things we sent that I can think of on top of my head:

- Showing each other as beneficiaries of life insurance policies, pension accounts, emergency contacts at work 

- Any evidence of travels together - boarding passes, hotel bookings etc. If you travelled lots during said time I'd also include a brief timeline 

- Any letters/holiday/birthday cards addressed to you both or given to each other including the postmarked envelope if you still have it

- Receipts of wedding expenses and any significant gifts between you both 

- Any bills you share that have both names on them - we did electricity and Verizon iirc

- Select few screenshots of online comms you keep up as part of your day to day life from Whatsapp or w/e you use to communicate when you're not physically together

We didn't have any shared bank accounts or taxes at the time nor any affidavits. Our original submission was as thorough as it could've been at the time including the above and we got approved without a formal sit-down interview. 

I will try to gather as much other evidence, but she works minimum wage job and only part time, so does not have retirement account, and has insurance through medicaid so I cannot be added on.

I was wondering I have brokerage account through Robin hood, and Charles schwab, can I provide screen shot of her listed as beneficiary for those account. However, I only have total of 1000 usd invested in total as of now.

29 minutes ago, daniel046 said:

will try to gather as much other evidence, but she works minimum wage job and only part time, so does not have retirement account, and has insurance through medicaid so I cannot be added on.

I was wondering I have brokerage account through Robin hood, and Charles schwab, can I provide screen shot of her listed as beneficiary for those account. However, I only have total of 1000 usd invested in total as of now

Be careful to have her update her Medicaid insurance to correctly reflect her marital status and the combined household income…

You can add screenshots of your trade account designation or shoot an email request for pdf proof. 

Consider AAA membership ( if any ) Costco, gym, cell phone plans , utility bills ( even if in your name only, credit cards to show her as authorized user..any separate solo bank accounts you can add her as POA or POD if you wish to keep separate. ..or just statements that will show shared address. 

Throw in a couple of affidavits from family or friends that know you as a couple, ask your doctors for a copy of the emergency contact sheet you filled out and do a Medical/ Health Power of Attorney if you have not set up a will. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.