Chesterming

CRBA/Application for a passport

10 posts in this topic

I fulfil all the eligibility criteria needed for a CRBA, including my U.S. citizen parent’s 5 years physical presence in the USA, however I have a couple queries. I understand that you undergo an interview with an officer where you then prove the years of physical presence, and I was wondering how strict they are? I have proof of the 5 years, through two separate employment letters from firms my mother worked at which confirm the days she worked in the USA. On top of that, she was born there and lived there for 7 months before her parents moved, but unfortunately we can’t find a way to prove those 7 months. So my question is whether those 7 months will automatically be disqualified because we can’t prove them, and furthermore, are the officers open to understanding these sorts of circumstances, or are they very strict when it comes to this and won’t be willing to consider it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The onus is on you to provide the evidence for the time periods you are claiming.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

54 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The onus is on you to provide the evidence for the time periods you are claiming.

I full understand this, but I’m just looking for information that others may be able to provide. Another example is that I want to use is trips, but U.S. passports only shows entry stamps and not exit stamps, even when my embassy website says you can use expired passports… so I want just to go into the appointment with as much confidence/information as possible 

37 minutes ago, Chesterming said:

I full understand this, but I’m just looking for information that others may be able to provide. Another example is that I want to use is trips, but U.S. passports only shows entry stamps and not exit stamps, even when my embassy website says you can use expired passports… so I want just to go into the appointment with as much confidence/information as possible 

They’re strict.  I grew up here and kept having to get more data - college transcripts, address records, and finally when I dug up my 1974 passport that wasn’t renewed until 2006 they got the point that I never left the US for over two decades.  No passport no travel.
You’re gonna have a tough, tough interview.  I was pretty mad after mine.  Had to call “the dude from the back” to get that application in. 
Employment letters are going to get tossed.  You will need physical proof of address and employment like tax returns and W2’s.  That crazy lady even implied “you could have been out of the country between semesters” because my data was spotty - until I asked her “how without a passport?”.  That did it.

School records, address records, employment records backed by W2’s would be a good start.  Try pulling driving records showing active drivers licenses, etc.  You need a stack dude or they’re going to send you out to get it.

Edited by iwannaplay54

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I second @iwannaplay54. It will depend alot on the officer, but expect it not to be easy and you needing to provide proof down to weeks spent in the US. You can see our case how hard it was:

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, Chesterming said:

have proof of the 5 years, through two separate employment letters from firms my mother worked at which confirm the days she worked in the USA

Get this for your mother:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-7050.pdf

does she have just 5 years of physical presence?

1 hour ago, Mark88 said:

I second @iwannaplay54. It will depend alot on the officer, but expect it not to be easy and you needing to provide proof down to weeks spent in the US. You can see our case how hard it was:

It was Dhahran, the consulate is in constant contact with USCs in the area.  It should have been easy but there was a local at the desk.  I was exasperated and finally a real CO got called out to settle it.
Absent US citizenship our daughter was on the road to “stateless”.  There was no way I was walking out like that.  KSA doesnt award citizenship to anyone but a kiddo born to a Saudi father.  

Edited by iwannaplay54

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 12:46 AM, Mike E said:

Get this for your mother:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-7050.pdf

does she have just 5 years of physical presence?

Yes just over 5 years. Unfortunately those years were from 1991-92 and 1995-1999, so I’m struggling to find the proof because most of it doesn’t exist anymore. I’ll file that form and see what comes out, but I’m just worried that it will get denied as it won’t be enough…

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chesterming said:

Yes just over 5 years. Unfortunately those years were from 1991-92 and 1995-1999, so I’m struggling to find the proof because most of it doesn’t exist anymore. I’ll file that form and see what comes out, but I’m just worried that it will get denied as it won’t be enough…

Given she seems to have traveled frequently away from the USA, I agree that the consulate probably won't be convinced with under 6 years of social security statements. A private investigator might be able to provide convincing evidence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.