ToBeHappy

Traveling as Dual citizen

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 minutes ago, ToBeHappy said:

I have GH and US passports.

Can I travel with the Ghanaian passport to Ghana and travel back to the states with the US passport?

Or I need to use only the US passport

U.S. law is clear. You must leave and enter the USA on your U.S. passport. 

I don’t know about Ghana law, but generally you must enter and leave a country of which you are a citizen on that country’s passport.  So you would present both passports to the airline on each end. 

At  passport control in  Ghana show your Ghana  passport. At passport control in USA, show your U.S. passport.  

Edited by Mike E

1 hour ago, ToBeHappy said:

Hello guys,

I’m planning on traveling to GH and have some few questions I need answers to.

I have GH and US passports.

Can I travel with the Ghanaian passport to Ghana and travel back to the states with the US passport?

Or I need to use only the US passport?

Thank you

Fly in and out with your US passport, enter and leave Ghana on your other passport

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ghana
Timeline

As a dual citizen, I present my Ghana Passport or card in Ghana when I enter and leave Ghana in the airport. I present American passport when in the American and layover airport. I present both passports to the airline because they will ask for visas. There has never been an issue. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, GHbabe12 said:

As a dual citizen, I present my Ghana Passport or card in Ghana when I enter and leave Ghana in the airport. I present American passport when in the American and layover airport. I present both passports to the airline because they will ask for visas. There has never been an issue. 

Hi, thanks for the response.

so I don’t need to get Ghana visa in my USA passport since I will be traveling with both passports? 

29 minutes ago, ToBeHappy said:

Hi, thanks.

I see on the Ghana embassy in DC website, that you need to apply for a dual when you acquired a U.S. citizenship.

did you do this? 

We have nothing to do with Ghana, we just know how to enter/exit on two passports

4 hours ago, GHbabe12 said:

This is how to do it.  

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ghana
Timeline
6 hours ago, ToBeHappy said:

Hi, thanks for the response.

so I don’t need to get Ghana visa in my USA passport since I will be traveling with both passports? 

No, you don't need the visa. Just let the airlines know that you have both passports and can access each country. If you do it like I previously stated, none of the country border officials will need to see a visa either. If you have a valid Ghanaian passport, you shouldn't need a visa to enter or exit Ghana. Make sure that your passport isn't expired. If it is, you will need to renew it with the consulates.

The dual citizen card is incredibly hard to acquire. I tried to apply years ago and learned they hardly issue it.

Edited by GHbabe12
More info

There was a Supreme Court case about dual citizenship that was issued. There is some instruction on what to do when entering and leaving Ghana as well. https://thehague.mfa.gov.gh/ghana-government-directive-on-dual-nationality-and-application-for-dual-citizenship-cards-and-certificates

The Supreme Court ruled that the dual citizenship card is not mandatory, even if the executive branch had given instructions that it was. The directive above also points out the much more immediate problem for Ghanaians in countries that do not allow for dual citizenship, such as the Netherlands, where the dual citizenship card is more necessary, or the individual must apply for a visa to visit Ghana once their Ghanaian passport expires, as they could be putting their new citizenship at risk by applying for a new passport for Ghana. In that case, the dual citizen card is a life-saver (and money saver). For US/Ghana dual citizens, this is not an issue, and not letting either passport expire is a good goal. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, GHbabe12 said:

No, you don't need the visa. Just let the airlines know that you have both passports and can access each country. If you do it like I previously stated, none of the country border officials will need to see a visa either. If you have a valid Ghanaian passport, you shouldn't need a visa to enter or exit Ghana. Make sure that your passport isn't expired. If it is, you will need to renew it with the consulates.

The dual citizen card is incredibly hard to acquire. I tried to apply years ago and learned they hardly issue it.

You are the best.. I got my GH passport renewed in DC.

surprisingly I got the old Ghanaian passport not the one with the ECOWAS. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

@ToBeHappydon't make the mistake of applying for a GH visa. The airline just needs to make sure you have the required document to enter GH; that's it. Check in with your GH passport when leaving US to Ghana. I have done this countless times. Also, don't mess with dual citizenship cert; it's a money grab. The GH Supreme Court has already ruled it's NOT needed to travel to GH as a citizen.

Detailed instructions below:

*Traveling with Two Passport to Ghana*

--Departing USA to GHA--
1. At check-in counter: Check in with GHA Passport (If they ask how you'll be returning, let them know you also hold a USA passport)

2. At TSA Departure/Luggage Screening: Show USA passport (if requested)

3. Boarding: Board with GHA Passport

--Arriving in GHA--

1. At GHA Immigration(Arrival): Show GHA passport (They might ask you how you'll be returning to the USA, then declare to them you have a USA passport because you are a dual citizen)

2. Luggage Check (Arrival): Show GHA passport (if requested)

--Departing GHA to USA--

1. At check-in counter: Check in with USA Passport

2. At Immigration (Departure): Show GHA passport  (They might ask you how you are going to the USA, let them know you have a USA passport because you are a dual citizen)

3. GHA Departure/Luggage Screening: Show USA passport (if requested)

4. Boarding: Board with USA Passport

--Arriving in USA--

1. CBP/Immigration (Arrival): Show USA Passport

2. CBP Luggage Check:  Show USA Passport

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
20 hours ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Fly in and out with your US passport, enter and leave Ghana on your other passport

Won't work without a Ghana visa in his US passport. And it makes no sense to get visa to enter GH as a Ghanaian. He needs to fly out with his GH passport when checking in with the airline.

Edited by nastra30

Timeline
18 hours ago, nastra30 said:

@ToBeHappydon't make the mistake of applying for a GH visa. The airline just needs to make sure you have the required document to enter GH; that's it. Check in with your GH passport when leaving US to Ghana. I have done this countless times. Also, don't mess with dual citizenship cert; it's a money grab. The GH Supreme Court has already ruled it's NOT needed to travel to GH as a citizen.

Detailed instructions below:

*Traveling with Two Passport to Ghana*

--Departing USA to GHA--
1. At check-in counter: Check in with GHA Passport (If they ask how you'll be returning, let them know you also hold a USA passport)

2. At TSA Departure/Luggage Screening: Show USA passport (if requested)

3. Boarding: Board with GHA Passport

--Arriving in GHA--

1. At GHA Immigration(Arrival): Show GHA passport (They might ask you how you'll be returning to the USA, then declare to them you have a USA passport because you are a dual citizen)

2. Luggage Check (Arrival): Show GHA passport (if requested)

--Departing GHA to USA--

1. At check-in counter: Check in with USA Passport

2. At Immigration (Departure): Show GHA passport  (They might ask you how you are going to the USA, let them know you have a USA passport because you are a dual citizen)

3. GHA Departure/Luggage Screening: Show USA passport (if requested)

4. Boarding: Board with USA Passport

--Arriving in USA--

1. CBP/Immigration (Arrival): Show USA Passport

2. CBP Luggage Check:  Show USA Passport

This is brilliant. Thank you. I will start looking for flights now. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.