Elixz2

Can I apply for a b1/b2 visa for transit?

14 posts in this topic

I need to transit from my country to the US for a flight to a Middle Eastern country. Can I apply for a tourist visa for that purpose? Most likely I would be visiting the US for tourist purposes sometime in the future also but I don’t have any familial ties to the US who can give an invitation letter. 
Also what US address can I put on the application?
I am 22 years old, a student and have a public service job for almost 4 years plus over a year of training before that, so working for a total of almost 5 years.
Any information is appreciated.

5 minutes ago, Elixz2 said:

I need to transit from my country to the US for a flight to a Middle Eastern country. Can I apply for a tourist visa for that purpose? Most likely I would be visiting the US for tourist purposes sometime in the future also but I don’t have any familial ties to the US who can give an invitation letter. 
Also what US address can I put on the application?
I am 22 years old, a student and have a public service job for almost 4 years plus over a year of training before that, so working for a total of almost 5 years.
Any information is appreciated.

Anyone is free to apply for a B2.  There is no letter of invitation needed.  You don't need a US address.

Also- if it truly is just for transiting, that is a different type of visa (C visa).

10 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Also- if it truly is just for transiting, that is a different type of visa (C visa).

+100

I wonder what's your route @Elixz2

Australia has direct flights to Dubai, South America also. Africa, Europe and Asia probably do not make sense travelling via USA. Are you in the Carribbean? Many Carribbean countries have visa free travel to the UK and there are direct flights from there to Middle Eastern countries. The point is, USA visas are not easy to get.

Edited by OldUser

2 hours ago, OldUser said:

+100

I wonder what's your route @Elixz2

Australia has direct flights to Dubai, South America also. Africa, Europe and Asia probably do not make sense travelling via USA. Are you in the Carribbean? Many Carribbean countries have visa free travel to the UK and there are direct flights from there to Middle Eastern countries. The point is, USA visas are not easy to get.

My route is from Caribbean island to JFK to Dubai 

2 hours ago, milimelo said:

Which country are you traveling from and where to? 

Trinidad and Tobago 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

In the US (and wrt to international flights) regardless of whether you are transiting or not you'll have to go through customs and then recheck in (including luggage) with the transit flight/airline. Basically, you'll have to be admitted first and anyone can disappear after that; that's why it makes it hard.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As far as I can tell C or B has the same requirements same cost so B would be the obvious choice.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

@Elixz2 I checked flights from Tobago to Dubai and it does look like majority of flights involve transit via USA. Despite your country's visa free access to EU countries and UK, it doesn't help you much. It does look like you would need a visa to transit via USA. It also looks like transit visa C-1 is not much different from B1/B2 in terms of efforts required from you. In this case, I'd just apply for B1/B2. It would give you more options, in case if you want to visit USA as a tourist on your way to final destination or on your way back.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought there are direct flights to the UK

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Why specifically do you need to get to the US? If you hold Trinidad and Tobago passport, you are visa free to Brazil, UK, and the Schengen zone. A quick search shows me that the cheapest flight is actually via the UK. Just do that.

AOS/TPS/EAD obstacles with my non-US spouse

Ramos v. Nielsen happens
Late 2019 we decide to leave the USA for good because it wasn't worth it for us to stay in the USA in limbo.
US Immigration is interesting which is why I'm still here

20 hours ago, speedster said:

Why specifically do you need to get to the US? If you hold Trinidad and Tobago passport, you are visa free to Brazil, UK, and the Schengen zone. A quick search shows me that the cheapest flight is actually via the UK. Just do that.

How did you search? Maybe share some ideas with the OP. I did Google Flights from Tobago to Dubai, it showed a lot of flights transiting via US. Maybe your suggestion would help picking a better itenary for OP to avoid US transit and save $$$$

Edited by OldUser

Copa flies Trinidad and Tobago to Panama and can connect to Turkish Airlines there.   Both airlines are Star Alliance.  There is visa free transit in Panama and Istanbul.  You can buy tickets on https://www.turkishairlines.com/  searching ahead a few months with flexible dates you can find round trip for USD $2100 which probably isn't bad for visa free transit on that route.  My wife flew Turkish Airlines connecting to Copa three times on a Philippine passport.  It is a good option for "challenged passports".

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

3 hours ago, OldUser said:

How did you search? Maybe share some ideas with the OP. I did Google Flights from Tobago to Dubai, it showed a lot of flights transiting via US. Maybe your suggestion would help picking a better itenary for OP to avoid US transit and save $$$$

Many flights are transfer possible in the states, but I've used google flights and see a $1600 ticket round trip on British POS-London-DXB in May for example

AOS/TPS/EAD obstacles with my non-US spouse

Ramos v. Nielsen happens
Late 2019 we decide to leave the USA for good because it wasn't worth it for us to stay in the USA in limbo.
US Immigration is interesting which is why I'm still here

4 minutes ago, speedster said:

Many flights are transfer possible in the states, but I've used google flights and see a $1600 ticket round trip on British POS-London-DXB in May for example

Surely OP should take such flight to use his passport to change planes in Europe then. Saves a lot of effort and fees to get US visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.