rileyroo

New I-134 Declaration of Support Question

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi! 

With this new form I haven't found any examples to look at, so I was hoping one of you might be able to help me on this question? 

I think it's asking for the income I provide for myself, but I'm not sure what to put in the last column. I don't have any dependents or support any other individuals. 

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 1.49.11 PM.png

You're the beneficiary? In the USCIS filling instructions it says it's asking about the income the beneficiary WILL receive. So I don't think it's asking about your current foreign income and you would answer with $0 since you won't be working instantly once you enter the US. 

USCIS and their 'one form fits all' is taking it to new levels with this one 🙄

@pushbrk you're the master of reading those forms.

Timeline

Agreed, this new form is annoying! 

I am the petitioner, filing on behalf of the beneficiary. So for that section, I did put $0 as he won't earn income like you said. But this section is asking about myself, so it's confusing. 

17 minutes ago, rileyroo said:

I am the petitioner, filing on behalf of the beneficiary. So for that section, I did put $0 as he won't earn income like you said. But this section is asking about myself, so it's confusing. 

Part 3, Item 15, is the information about the petitioner contributing to the beneficiary--NOT what the beneficiary will earn.

I believe this part is a remnant from the previous I-134 version?

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/758635-march-2021-k1-i-129f-filers/page/158/?tab=comments#comment-10668577

I showed how I would work backwards from the HHS guidelines to write a number for each beneficiary that the petitioner plans to support.

Many have said to put "0", and seems to work out.

But I personally would not just because by the K1 interview time, it would have been over a year wait for many and it is not worth risking giving the consulate any reason to assign the dreaded 221g.

Remember I-134 is not legally binding, but the I-864 is when you file with the I-485 for the adjustment of status after the K1 beneficiary enters the US and gets married within 90 days.

The I-134 just gives the consulate/embassy extra data to approve or not for the K1 visa.

So why risk showing that the petitioner will contribute "0" to support the K1 beneficiary after they enter the US when the petitioner needs to support the beneficiary anyways in the I-864?

37 minutes ago, rileyroo said:

Sorry was looking at the wrong part. This question was asked in the old form too ( i intend/ not intend to contribute... ). It's asking about how much you'll give to the beneficiary ( your fiance is the beneficiary). You can put $0 and add an explanation. 

Screenshot_20221125-204550_Drive.jpg

1 minute ago, EatBulaga said:

Part 3, Item 15, is the information about the petitioner contributing to the beneficiary--NOT what the beneficiary will earn.

OP was answering to me. I had looked at the wrong part.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

I believe this part is a remnant from the previous I-134 version?

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/758635-march-2021-k1-i-129f-filers/page/158/?tab=comments#comment-10668577

I showed how I would work backwards from the HHS guidelines to write a number for each beneficiary that the petitioner plans to support.

Many have said to put "0", and seems to work out.

But I personally would not just because by the K1 interview time, it would have been over a year wait for many and it is not worth risking giving the consulate any reason to assign the dreaded 221g.

Remember I-134 is not legally binding, but the I-864 is when you file with the I-485 for the adjustment of status after the K1 beneficiary enters the US and gets married within 90 days.

The I-134 just gives the consulate/embassy extra data to approve or not for the K1 visa.

So why risk showing that the petitioner will contribute "0" to support the K1 beneficiary after they enter the US when the petitioner needs to support the beneficiary anyways in the I-864?

Thank you for that other forum link, glad to see I'm not the only one confused! I agree, I'm hesitant to put $0 because I know I will have to financially support the beneficiary so it doesn't make much sense to me. I think I'm going to go ahead and do some math for that final column, rather than leave it blank. It seems to me that they just want to see a number that proves you can financially support in the future?

"Provide all of the information requested in the table below about yourself, all of your dependents, and any other individuals you financially support (do not include any individuals named in Part 2.). Information about assets that are not based on employment should be added in Item Number 20. and not in Item Number 15."

Actually this is a little different from the previous version. Petitioner lists self and any current dependents--NOT the K1 beneficiary. For example, if the petitioner has kids to support, then the petitioner has to list how much is contributed to supporting the dependents. And the petitioner can work backwards from the HHS guidelines like the example in my previous link. So making more than the HHS guidelines is that much more convincing of financial support, and lower risk for depending on government assistance.

So putting "0" can be interpreted by the consulate as the petitioner does not have any dependents.

Edited by EatBulaga

Timeline
3 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

"Provide all of the information requested in the table below about yourself, all of your dependents, and any other individuals you financially support (do not include any individuals named in Part 2.). Information about assets that are not based on employment should be added in Item Number 20. and not in Item Number 15."

Actually this is a little different from the previous version. Petitioner lists self and any current dependents--NOT the K1 beneficiary. For example, if the petitioner has kids to support, then the petitioner has to list how much is contributed to supporting the dependents. And the petitioner can work backwards from the HHS guidelines like the example in my previous link. So making more than the HHS guidelines is that much more convincing of financial support, and lower risk for depending on government assistance.

So putting "0" can be interpreted by the consulate as the petitioner does not have any dependents.

Oh I see! Okay so specifically it says "do not include any individuals named in Part 2" (aka the beneficiary). So I would fill it out like so -- because it is only asking about others that are NOT the beneficiary. And in this case I do not financially support others or have dependents. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 6.07.46 PM.png

4 minutes ago, rileyroo said:

Oh I see! Okay so specifically it says "do not include any individuals named in Part 2" (aka the beneficiary). So I would fill it out like so -- because it is only asking about others that are NOT the beneficiary. And in this case I do not financially support others or have dependents. 

Haha. Yes putting "0" would not have made any difference for you since you are single with no kids?

But at least we are not as confused. 😂

4 hours ago, rileyroo said:

Do not put 0 income here, put the total from your 1040 as this is your income declaration under "self" as you are the person to receive those benefits with 0 dependents. The form is specific that it is not for the person in section 2. If you write self this is your income. 

4 hours ago, rileyroo said:

It is wrong for you to put 0 here, the income you make is it not for you to support yourself?? So put that.

like seriously?? You support yourself with 0$ from your income ?

Edited by Samuel_

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
23 hours ago, rileyroo said:

I think it's a bad form, not actually intended for a fiancée situation.  I haven't studied the instructions yet, but you can still use the old version.  I recommend using the old version instead.

Has the fiancee scheduled the interview yet?  When is it?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

12 hours ago, pushbrk said:

I think it's a bad form, not actually intended for a fiancée situation.  I haven't studied the instructions yet, but you can still use the old version.  I recommend using the old version instead.

Has the fiancee scheduled the interview yet?  When is it?

What if they reject the old form?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.