hey.atay1230

How to get married in Morocco (American Female/Moroccan Male)

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I am trying to get more information about the required papers for an American woman to get married to a Moroccan Man. I know it varies by city, but I am looking to get married in Sale/Rabat. I only have 3 weeks so I am trying to be prepared. I have read conflicting reports. Thank you in advance. 

7 hours ago, mmmegan94 said:

Hi everyone, 

I am trying to get more information about the required papers for an American woman to get married to a Moroccan Man. I know it varies by city, but I am looking to get married in Sale/Rabat. I only have 3 weeks so I am trying to be prepared. I have read conflicting reports. Thank you in advance. 

Your future husband doesn’t know the local laws? He probably can call to places and ask, don’t you think this will be better?

From US embassy info:

https://ma.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/marriage-information/

Internet Romance and Marriage Fraud

Many Americans befriend Moroccans through Internet dating and social networking sites and these relationships often lead to marriage or engagement.  While many of the marriages between Americans and Moroccans are successful, the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca warns against marriage fraud.  It is not uncommon for foreign nationals to enter into marriages with Americans solely for immigration purposes.  Relationships developed via correspondence, particularly those begun on the Internet, are especially susceptible to manipulation.  Often, the marriages end in divorce in the United States when the foreign national acquires legal permanent residence (“green card”) or U.S. citizenship.  In some cases, the new American or permanent resident then remarries a wife he divorced before, around the same time as entering into a relationship with a sponsoring American citizen.

Some of the signs that an Internet contact may be developing a relationship with an American in order to obtain an immigrant visa through marriage are:

• Declarations of love within days or weeks of the initial contact;
  • Proposals or discussions of marriage soon after initial contact;
  • Requests to the American to visit the foreign national’s home country soon after the declaration of love or proposal;
  • Responses to messages from the American friend are along the lines “I love you/Sorry I missed your call,” or similarly one-sided conversations;
  • Once engaged, married, or an immigrant visa petition is filed, suddenly starts missing scheduled appointments to chat or call.

While chat rooms, dating and social networking sites are great ways to make friends across international borders, the U.S. government urges Americans who meet foreign nationals on the Internet to take the time necessary to get to know them well before considering marriage and to keep in mind the signs noted above. Entering into a marriage contract for the principal purpose of facilitating immigration to the United States for an alien is against U.S. law and can result in serious penalties, including fines and imprisonment for the American citizen and the foreign national involved.

Marriage in Morocco

This document is intended only as a guide to marriage in Morocco. Requirements may vary according to local authorities and are subject to change. Marriage is a legal act governed by the law of Morocco and U.S. citizens are subject to those laws as interpreted by the appropriate Moroccan authorities. 

Marriages cannot be performed at U.S. Embassies or Consulates, nor do U.S. diplomatic personnel have the authority to preside over marriages. A Moroccan marriage is recognized in the U.S.; you do not need to register your marriage at the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca.

In order to receive the documents needed from the U.S. Consulate General, you must make a NOTARIAL appointment. If you appear for a PASSPORT RENEWAL appointment, you will be turned away and asked to schedule the correct service at another time.

The length of time needed to marry in Morocco varies. A non-Moslem man who wishes to marry a Moslem woman may anticipate one to three months to complete the process, including the time needed to convert to Islam. In general, the process is less complicated for a Moslem man who wishes to marry a non-Moslem woman.

The marriage process is handled by the Government of Morocco. After obtaining a completed Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry and notarized passport pages from the US Consulate in Casablanca for $100 fee, you will need to translate the Affidavit of marriage as well as all your foreign documents into Arabic.

Below is a list of documents needed in relation to getting married in Morocco, the first two are required from the US Consulate:

1. An Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry. This document is obtained at the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca by NOTARIAL appointment. There is a $50 fee for a Consular Officer to notarize the document. This affidavit is valid for six months from the date it is signed and notarized at the U.S. Consulate.
  2. Copies of your biographic passport and the page containing your entry date to Morocco must be notarized at the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca for a $50 fee. This document is obtained at the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca by NOTARIAL appointment.
  3. If divorced, provide original or certified copies of proof of dissolution of any previous marriage(s).
  4. If former spouse is deceased, provide original or certified copy of his or her death certificate (s).
  5. Provide an original or certified copy of your birth certificate.
  6. Evidence of employment from employer in the United States or source of income.
  7. A written statement indicating your intention to marry in Morocco.
  8. If resident in Morocco, a copy of the residency card.
  9. If resident in Morocco, obtain a Moroccan police record from the Ministry of Justice in Rabat (Office of Penal Affairs and Pardons).  (For U.S. citizens, resident in Morocco, you will need both an American and Moroccan police record.)
  10. If male, a notarized statement of religious denomination or a certified copy of a conversion document to Islam.  (Conversion documents are obtained from and notarized by Adouls, or religious/court notarials, at the Ministry of Justice in Rabat.) Women do not need this document.
  11. A medical certificate of good health from a doctor in Morocco. This document must be obtained in Morocco.
  12. Four (4) recent passport photos (3cm x 4cm, please note this is the same size required for a Moroccan passport).
  13. The fee for submitting an application for marriage to an Adoul is 150 Moroccan Dirham.
  14. An American police record must be obtained from a police department in the state where you last resided or from the FBI BEFORE coming to Morocco.

Where can I obtain the copy of my police record?

The U.S. Consulate cannot provide police records.  U.S. citizens who would like to obtain their police records are required to contact the FBI.  If you have not obtained your police records, you will need to submit your fingerprints to the FBI. The Consular Section cannot take your fingerprints and the Moroccan authorities will only fingerprint individuals who are resident to Morocco (holders of a carte de séjour). If you already have your fingerprints and wish to submit the criminal background check by mail, you will need:

• Fingerprint card with your name, date of birth and place of birth;
  • An informal note explaining the reason for your request;
  • And a certified check or money order payable to the U.S. Treasury for $18.00 in U.S. currency.

Please send your documents and the required fee to the FBI at the following address:

FBI, CJIS Division
SCU – MOD, D-2
1000 Cluster Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

The FBI will send your record in approximately 8 to 10 weeks.  For more information on Criminal Record Checks, please refer to:

http://www.fbi.gov

http://travel.state.gov

Important note about document requirements:  This list is not exhaustive.  Moroccan authorities may ask for additional information or other documents.

What do I do next?

Take your completed Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry and other documents to the following Government of Morocco office to be certified.  There is a fee for this certification.   The length of time needed to complete this phase of the process varies from a few days to a few months.

Annexe du Ministère des Affaires Etrangères & de la Coopération
Zankat  Tetouan
Hassan, Rabat
Tel: 0537-76-61-02

After obtaining the certification from the above office, you and your fiancé (e) must provide the Family Law Section at the Prosecutor’s office at the Court of Appeal in the city where you will be married with all the required documents.  Authorization to marry should be granted after the court completes administrative processing.  The length of time required for this process varies.  The file with your documents is forwarded to a family judge who will inform you of the next steps you must take in order to obtain your Moroccan marriage certificate==

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
20 hours ago, mmmegan94 said:

Hi everyone, 

the documents do not vary by city (or country side) as they all go to Rabat (capital ) for review to issue the marriage license 

only the way each city and who does the marriage documents for signing may vary

the best site is the US embassy CASA site as all the info is there

https://ma.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/marriage-information/

U do have to make an appointment at the US embassy for the affidavit to marry 

then get this and all your US documents translated to Arabic

travel to Office of foreign minister in Rabat with the affidavit and the translation

then to his home town for meetings with police and the judge who will send in your application to marry

most expensive part of this whole process were the translations  back in 2010 $10 a page and 6 copies were needed for both 

26 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

the documents do not vary by city (or country side) as they all go to Rabat (capital ) for review to issue the marriage license 

only the way each city and who does the marriage documents for signing may vary

the best site is the US embassy CASA site as all the info is there

U do have to make an appointment at the US embassy for the affidavit to marry 

then get this and all your US documents translated to Arabic

travel to Office of foreign minister in Rabat with the affidavit and the translation

then to his home town for meetings with police and the judge who will send in your application to marry

most expensive part of this whole process were the translations  back in 2010 $10 a page and 6 copies were needed for both 

Thank you for the response. What are the meetings for with the police? The US embassy says I only need a police record from Morocco if I am a resident in Morocco which I am not. I have my FBI police record already from the USA.  

Edited by mmmegan94

Timeline

what is not mentioned in the instructions are"

1.  u and fiancee need to decide on the dowry he will pay to u ,  his wife/  don't make this a large amount as most moroccans don't have a lot of money

we said our dowry was Adil hepling to buy my airline ticket to come to marry

2.  there is not a marriage ceremony/  in youssoufia the city court clerk asked me questions about my religion , the dowry,  etc (had to pay intrepreter as they would not allow Adil to do it . we both signed the document and were married

3. the day (s) after the family and friends have celebration of marriage ,   your makeup and hair will be done and the wedding planner will bring beautiful dress(es)

4.  you should be carried into the party and henna is done followed by the first meal of dates and milk 

5    there can be more than 1 day of dinners and dresses and parties -depends on time and family

Timeline
4 minutes ago, mmmegan94 said:

Thank you for the response. What are the meetings for with the police? The US embassy says I only need a police record from Morocco if I am a resident in Morocco which I am not. I have my FBI police record already from the USA.  

the police will meet with u and him to access the committment and your character

in reality your husband should take u to the police department when u arrive to let them know u are in the city (country of morocco)

the police report should be done within 90 days of the application  /otherwise just before u leave the USA

you may be able to pick up one like i did (i person) at my county clerk's office -it sufficed

Edited by JeanneAdil

2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

the police will meet with u and him to access the committment and your character

in reality your husband should take u to the police department when u arrive to let them know u are in the city (country of morocco)

the police report should be done within 90 days of the application  /otherwise just before u leave the USA

you may be able to pick up one like i did (i person) at my county clerk's office -it sufficed

Thanks again for all the information.  Do we have to make an appointment with the police in Morocco? How does that process work.

Timeline
2 hours ago, mmmegan94 said:

Thanks again for all the information.  Do we have to make an appointment with the police in Morocco? How does that process work.

let your husband handle that part after the u have been to the embassy and office of Foreign ministry in Rabat

he probably needs to call and make an appointment but he is the moroccan so he must do this

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

let your husband handle that part after the u have been to the embassy and office of Foreign ministry in Rabat

he probably needs to call and make an appointment but he is the moroccan so he must do this

Sorry he is working in France at the moment so I am trying to collect all of the info while he is out of the country. What do I do at the office of Foreign ministry in Rabat? Just have them notarized my affidavit from the US embassy. And do I need to make an appointment there? 

2 hours ago, mmmegan94 said:

Sorry he is working in France at the moment so I am trying to collect all of the info while he is out of the country. What do I do at the office of Foreign ministry in Rabat? Just have them notarized my affidavit from the US embassy. And do I need to make an appointment there? 

he will need to get some if not most of the documents himself, I don't think you can get them for him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.