Gabriela Gaghana

Parent's Name on Birth Certificate

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello everyone i hope this post finding you really well. 

I almost to send our K1 Visa package, but I just realized that my parent's name isn't same with their birth certificate on my birth certificate. Is that a problem? Which name of my parent's that I should use to fill on the form, the one on my birth certificate or the one on their birth certificate?

I do really need your help and thank you so so much!

Best,

Gabby

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Gabriela Gaghana said:

Hello everyone i hope this post finding you really well. 

I almost to send our K1 Visa package, but I just realized that my parent's name isn't same with their birth certificate on my birth certificate. Is that a problem? Which name of my parent's that I should use to fill on the form, the one on my birth certificate or the one on their birth certificate?

I do really need your help and thank you so so much!

Best,

Gabby

I mean misspell of their names. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Gabriela Gaghana said:

Sorry just realized. None is correct 😢

You’ve a dilemma then.  

1. Write the correct name of your parent, provide your birth  certificate which has the wrong name and a written explanation that it is not correct. You then hope you don’t get an RFE

2. Use your parent’s name as it appears on your birth certificate.  If your parent ever seeks a visa to come to the U.S., then thus discrepancy might  have to be resolved 

Timeline

If the parent is already in the United States, what name is on their U.S or foreign document. It might be easier for you to prove that - that is their correct name. But if your parent are still abroad, then put the correct spelling in the k1 application AND include copies of parent birth certificate and your own birth certificate with the wrong spellings. Then write a letter addressing the wrong spellings, if you can have your parent sign an affidavit on the letter wherever they are. Then great.

I say all that to say this. In the future if you need to petition for them, it’s better to kinda clear it up now on the USCIS side, so that it’s already established in their record.

if you keep sweeping it under the carpet using the wrong names, chances are that it may come back to bite you.

But then again, parent/parent name is not the basis of a k1 application so you should be fine. It shouldn’t affect the approval.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

12 hours ago, Gabriela Gaghana said:

Yes, but just a minor miss spell like 1 alphabet.

One letter is different? That's it? I'd say just spell it the correct way. USCIS might not even notice, or will assume it is a typo on your birth certificate.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
On 11/8/2022 at 9:59 PM, Mike E said:

You’ve a dilemma then.  

1. Write the correct name of your parent, provide your birth  certificate which has the wrong name and a written explanation that it is not correct. You then hope you don’t get an RFE

2. Use your parent’s name as it appears on your birth certificate.  If your parent ever seeks a visa to come to the U.S., then thus discrepancy might  have to be resolved 

Ahh okay, thank you so much Mike for the info :)

Best,

Gabby

Timeline
On 11/9/2022 at 6:44 AM, usmsbow said:

One letter is different? That's it? I'd say just spell it the correct way. USCIS might not even notice, or will assume it is a typo on your birth certificate.

I will see first, but thank you :)

Best,

Gabby

Timeline
On 11/8/2022 at 10:42 PM, IoptimisticOne said:

If the parent is already in the United States, what name is on their U.S or foreign document. It might be easier for you to prove that - that is their correct name. But if your parent are still abroad, then put the correct spelling in the k1 application AND include copies of parent birth certificate and your own birth certificate with the wrong spellings. Then write a letter addressing the wrong spellings, if you can have your parent sign an affidavit on the letter wherever they are. Then great.

I say all that to say this. In the future if you need to petition for them, it’s better to kinda clear it up now on the USCIS side, so that it’s already established in their record.

if you keep sweeping it under the carpet using the wrong names, chances are that it may come back to bite you.

But then again, parent/parent name is not the basis of a k1 application so you should be fine. It shouldn’t affect the approval.

Hello, thank you for the the suggestion. 

Best,

Gabby

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.