Fiance1

K1 VISA for Fiancee with Loan Debt? (merged)

60 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Fiance1 said:

I know there's a requirement for income above the poverty line to qualify as the sponsor for my foreign fiance from the Philippines to join me in the USA, but I'm curious if there is also a minimum savings balance? My income is about $100,000, but my bank savings are only 4-digits at the moment due to some ongoing home renovations. Does it matter how much cash I have sitting in my checking account or do I only need the income and the funds to cover all the associated fees?

If you are planning to file yourself, you are going to need to do some research on your own as well. I think a lot of people here have shown that they are more than willing to help people along the path, give guidance and such. Have you ever seen or heard anywhere that your savings matter? There are guides on this forum that give you all of the requirements for a K-1. A simple search on the internet will also yield this information. Income is the only financial requirement. You submit tax transcripts to show income.

4 hours ago, Fiance1 said:

I know there's a requirement for income above the poverty line to qualify as the sponsor for my foreign fiance from the Philippines to join me in the USA, but I'm curious if there is also a minimum savings balance? My income is about $100,000, but my bank savings are only 4-digits at the moment due to some ongoing home renovations. Does it matter how much cash I have sitting in my checking account or do I only need the income and the funds to cover all the associated fees?

Doesn't matter the size of your savings if you have sufficient income.  

Edited by IWander

8 hours ago, Fiance1 said:

All you need is your tax transcripts from the IRS.  Pretty simple.  Cash does not matter.

Finally done.

• 3 weeks later...

Question regarding the I-129F form...

The form instructions say: "Item Numbers 13. - 20.b. Your Employment History. Provide the names and addresses of your employers, your occupations, and the dates of employment for the jobs you have held over the last five years." It isn't clear to me though if by "Full Name of Employer," they want the actual person's name who was my immediate boss (e.g., supervisor - John Black, manager - Patrick Floss, director - Brian Parker), or if they want the name of the company (e.g., General Dynamics Bath Iron Works, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Huntington Ingalls Industries, etc). Can anyone clarify what is needed here?

8 minutes ago, Fiance1 said:

It isn't clear to me though if by "Full Name of Employer," they want the actual person's name who was my immediate boss (e.g., supervisor - John Black, manager - Patrick Floss, director - Brian Parker), or if they want the name of the company (e.g., General Dynamics Bath Iron Works, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Huntington Ingalls Industries, etc).

Enter the company name, not the staff name.

1 hour ago, Fiance1 said:

Should I staple any sheets, such as the 13 pages of the I-129F, together before mailing? Or does USCIS prefer to receive loose papers without staples?

I did a quick search for you - there is a page in USCIS called Tips for Filing Forms by Mail (wasn't sure if sharing the link was allowed). Somewhere in there it says not to use staples, instead use heavy duty paper clips.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

2 minutes ago, marriedtomrg said:

I did a quick search for you - there is a page in USCIS called Tips for Filing Forms by Mail (wasn't sure if sharing the link was allowed). Somewhere in there it says not to use staples, instead use heavy duty paper clips.

Perfect. Thank you. I've just been using the 14 page "Instructions for Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)" for guidance but it doesn't say anything about staples in there.

2 hours ago, Fiance1 said:

Perfect. Thank you. I've just been using the 14 page "Instructions for Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)" for guidance but it doesn't say anything about staples in there.

Early in our immigration journey, I used a LOT of paper clips, sticky notes and paper tabs to separate forms and identify which supporting documents were included. Used color ink to print descriptions on individual pages lol 

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

5 hours ago, marriedtomrg said:

These days the first thing they will often do with a mailed paper packet is disassemble it and feed it through an industrial document scanner to upload it to their network before they shred everything.  Staples would just be a nuisance making disassembly and scanning of the packet more difficult.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

On 11/6/2022 at 8:50 PM, Fiance1 said:

What's the latest on how long the entire process takes from start to finish? Last I heard everything was so backed up, most K1 VISAs are taking 2+ years. Is that only the case for filers from certain US states, or is it the case regardless of where the US Citizen filer is residing in the US? My fiancee seems convinced the process could be as short as 6 months. I'm skeptical though based on my Google search results...

If you create a timeline, the processing timeline VJ provides is based on the USCIS processing time estimate; inasmuch, it doesn't include the remainder of the process after USCIS approves the petition. You can look at the processing times tab, though, and look at K1 petitions from the Philippines that have been completed, which will maybe give you an idea of the wait. 

My wife's mother's friend, who is an attorney at the Manila consulate, has repeatedly talked about the embassy's backlog. My understanding is they have been prioritizing immigrant visas, which includes spousal visas, and the non-immigrant visas, which includes finance visas, have not been prioritized, which results in this substantially increased wait-time. I don't know what the estimate wait-time is, though. 

It might not be any help, but my wife and I got married in June of this year, and our petition was received by USCIS July 28. Our estimated wait time is 9 months for adjudication from USCIS, barring any hangups. We are prepared for a long wait for the Manila embassy phase, and we are kind of thinking about 15 months or so, probably. Hopefully not longer, but it could be. 

My plan is to keep saving money and going back to visit her every 4 to 6 months, as often as possible throughout the wait. I know not everyone has that convenience, but if you can do it, it really helps ease the heartache while you wait for your loved one. 

Best of luck, my friend. 🤙🏾

Does anyone know if I (the U.S. petitioner) need to provide evidence or an affidavit that I'm available to marry? I've never been married, and I don't see a requirement to provide proof of never being married, but I thought I should ask to confirm. If evidence is necessary, will a letter with my signature stating that I've never been married be sufficient? I would think that the U.S. government would have some sort of database to just quickly check to see if a U.S. citizen has ever been married, so they probably have no need for any proof to be included with my application.

3 hours ago, Fiance1 said:

I would think that the U.S. government would have some sort of database to just quickly check to see if a U.S. citizen has ever been married

You would think wrong. There is no national database. Marriage info is only at state level.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.