msfayeD

N-400 APPLICATION *US NATURALIZATION BASED ON MARRIAGE

19 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I am starting to file my N-400 application, there is a section on the form that is asking about  spouse's previous marriage.. what if my husband doesn't remember when is the date of his previous marriage? I have their divorce decree but since we keep moving some of his old documents got lost.. does it matter to have an accurate date? he just remember the year.. and that relationship only lasted for 2yrs 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Was he married in the USA?

Critical documents like his previous marriage certificate and divorce decree should be scanned electronically 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
Just now, msfayeD said:

yes, he was married in the US 

He should order a new marriage certificate.  

is it necessary to have that? I have his divorce decree, and that marriage was dissolve.. just wondering if the accurate previous marriage date is important.. 

Edited by msfayeD

Timeline
7 minutes ago, msfayeD said:

is it necessary to have that? I have his divorce decree, and that marriage was dissolve.. just wondering if the accurate previous marriage date is important.. 

You can try without an accurate and see if you get an RFE or denial.  

@msfayeD how did your spouse complete I-130 for you in the past? They must have answered this question with dates of marriage and divorce.

Update: checked I-130, only asks for date of divorce... 

Edited by OldUser

34 minutes ago, OldUser said:

@msfayeD how did your spouse complete I-130 for you in the past? They must have answered this question with dates of marriage and divorce.

Update: checked I-130, only asks for date of divorce... 

Thanks for this, I will check our previous documents if he has those dates! It made me relieve, that there's another option aside from getting marriage certificate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

N 400 question 10 f asks for date of current spouse's former marriage (month , day and year)

tell him to contact the clerk of the court where he was married and ask for copy of marriage license 

he can get the dates by going to the county (or state) records office or just google his name (much of this is posted online)

Edited by JeanneAdil

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

N 400 question 10 f asks for date of current spouse's former marriage 

tell him to contact the clerk of the court where he was married and ask for copy of marriage license 

he can get the dates by going to the county (or state) records office or just google his name (much of this is posted online)

thank you so much! I really appreciate this info

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
9 hours ago, msfayeD said:

Hello, 

I am starting to file my N-400 application, there is a section on the form that is asking about  spouse's previous marriage.. what if my husband doesn't remember when is the date of his previous marriage? I have their divorce decree but since we keep moving some of his old documents got lost.. does it matter to have an accurate date? he just remember the year.. and that relationship only lasted for 2yrs 

Nah, the exact date was never an issue for us. We just made one up. My husband couldn't remember either other than the year, he went back and looked through his old check books (yes) for expenses related to the wedding and figured out the month was June. Then we just made up the exact day as he had no idea. It was never asked about. We did the same for the AOS, we made sure to put the same date on the N-400 that we put on the i-485, otherwise they may have wondered/asked. Or maybe it was the i-129f? Don't remember, but I remember us having to "make up" the date on two forms during my immigration journey. Better have the same date on both. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
7 minutes ago, OldUser said:

You're lucky. It only takes one IO to dig a little more.

They would've dug if it was important, this was not important information. 

54 minutes ago, Scandi said:

They would've dug if it was important, this was not important information. 

If it wasn't important, it wouldn't be on the form in my opinion. The form doesn't ask what your favorite movie is, because it's irrelevant. The form doesn't ask what your religion is, because it would be discriminatory. The USCIS ask for information about prior marriage to detect immigration fraud. 

Person A sponsoring person B sponsoring person C may can lead to suspicion. USICS may want to establish whether marriage between person A and B was ligitimate. Short marriage duration is one of the indicators of potential fraud.

I'm glad you naturalized without this being an issue. However, based on your profile, you're from Sweden. If the OP is from Africa, Middle East or Phillippines, or Muslim, they may have way more scrutiny you had. It would be in their interest to have accurate information and proof of their's spouse prior marriages.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
10 minutes ago, OldUser said:

If it wasn't important, it wouldn't be on the form in my opinion. The form doesn't ask what your favorite movie is, because it's irrelevant. The form doesn't ask what your religion is, because it would be discriminatory. The USCIS ask for information about prior marriage to detect immigration fraud. 

Person A sponsoring person B sponsoring person C may can lead to suspicion. USICS may want to establish whether marriage between person A and B was ligitimate. Short marriage duration is one of the indicators of potential fraud.

I'm glad you naturalized without this being an issue. However, based on your profile, you're from Sweden. If the OP is from Africa, Middle East or Phillippines, or Muslim, they may have way more scrutiny you had. It would be in their interest to have accurate information and proof of their's spouse prior marriages.

The form is generic and some it won't apply to all applicants. They will not make a specific form for each applicant, of course, we all have to answer the same questions even if they are of zero importance to our specific case. So yes, your situation will make them look into certain things, or NOT look into certain things. It will not be the same for all applicants. In our case, there was only one prior marriage and it ended 15 years before our current marriage, so when the first marriage started was of no importance. Obviously we still had to answer the question on the generic form, but it was irrelevant in our situation. Maybe it would've been important for others, such as marriages in other countries where there were no American records perhaps, or maybe for someone who had several marriages right after each other to make sure they didn't overlap etc. 

So yeah, not important information at all in our case, and therefore wasn't an issue at all. 

Edited by Scandi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.