Mniko2000

Arrested for DV but case closed with no charges; how this would impact my citizenship application.

10 posts in this topic

I’m living in WA state. I filled N-400 in May but I was arrested for DV-assult4 one month before my naturalization interview (September). My criminal attorney was able to get an email from the Prosecutor indicating that they will declining to move forward with my case and the court records shows my case is dismissed with no charges. I went to interview and disclosed the arrest and provided all these documents to the officer as well as a declaration letter from my spouse asserting that the incident happened between us was misunderstanding and not an assault.

I’m worried since the case is dismissed without prejudiced and I don’t know if USCIS deny my application because of that. 

I’m waiting for USCIS decision, but wanted to know if anyone living in the state of Washington and been in the same situation before?  Would my application be denied?

I appreciate any insight. 

Edited by Mniko2000

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I expect an RFE requesting something with a raised and/or wet seal from the clerk of court or the prosecutor’s office saying the charge was dismissed. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
9 hours ago, Mniko2000 said:

Would my application be denied?

I don't think so, I expect your n400 will be approved. You provided your court disposition of your case dismissal and you provided additional information.

You may need to provide more information through an RFE.

Mostly I think your approval will be delayed as the field office supervisor will need to sign off on your case.

If your case is not decided after 120 days you can consider filing a de novo review court case since you have had your n400 interview. You would take your case to a immigration judge who can issue your citizenship.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

3 minutes ago, da95826 said:

your case is not decided after 120 days you can consider filing a de novo review court case since you have had your n400 interview. You would take your case to a immigration judge who can issue your citizenship.

Please elaborate….am not quite following what/where of this. Thank you 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Family said:

Please elaborate….am not quite following what/where of this.

With naturalization cases you can get a federal judge to review your case and they can approve it. This type of civil court case is called a de novo review. 

You would need to hire a lawyer and file a case with the correct court. It is the administrative appeal for naturalization cases. It is different from a mandamus case which simply forces USCIS or the State Department to make a decision on a immigration case.

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Approved June 08, 2022

Approved June 08, 2022

11 hours ago, da95826 said:

With naturalization cases you can get a federal judge to review your case and they can approve it. This type of civil court case is called a de novo review. 

You would need to hire a lawyer and file a case with the correct court. It is the administrative appeal for naturalization cases. It is different from a mandamus case which simply forces USCIS or the State Department to make a decision on a immigration case.

Delayed adjudication won’t catapult OP to sue . What you are suggesting can only happen IF there is a denial AND he first files N-336 AND that is also denied…then he may seek judicial review. …not for delay and not before he exhausts N-336. 

But OP must await a decision, but looks good for approval even if they pester him for additional records ( unlikely and should definitely refuse to provide copy of arrest report even if they ask…since there is no conviction. 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-b-chapter-6

Judicial Review

A naturalization applicant may request judicial review before a United States district court of his or her denied naturalization application after USCIS issues the decision following the hearing with a USCIS officer. [17] The applicant must file the request before the United States District Court having jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence. The district court reviews the case de novo and makes its own findings of fact and conclusions of law.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

@Family there is at least one law firm that disagrees with you. This firm periodically  posts to Reddit and has says a lot credible stuff. 

Timeline
18 hours ago, Family said:

Delayed adjudication won’t catapult OP to sue

Not sure if it is true or not I do believe that once the n400 interview has taken place a de novo review can happen. If the OP finds themself awaiting a decision six months or a year after the interview they should consult with a lawyer for their legal options to take the n400 case to court for either a de novo or a mandamus.

Hopefully the OPs case will be approved after a reasonable period of time of review by USCIS. Cases like this can have excessive delays with USCIS unable to make a decision with cases stuck in background checks or investigation.

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Approved June 08, 2022

Approved June 08, 2022

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.