jg121783

Questions about Balikbayan visa

9 posts in this topic

My wife and I are traveling to the Philippines December 10th. When I booked our tickets I wasn't paying attention and booked it so we are in the Philippines 33 days so I am assuming I will need a balikbayan visa correct? What documents do I need to obtain one? Unfortunately we have misplaced our original PSA copy of our marriage certificate. However we do have a photocopy of it along with the original local copy. Will this be sufficient or do we need an original copy of the PSA certificate? If we need the original is there any way we can obtain one before our trip from the consulate in Chicago? If not are there any other options or do I need to try to change the dates of our flight?

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

1 hour ago, jg121783 said:

My wife and I are traveling to the Philippines December 10th. When I booked our tickets I wasn't paying attention and booked it so we are in the Philippines 33 days so I am assuming I will need a balikbayan visa correct? What documents do I need to obtain one? Unfortunately we have misplaced our original PSA copy of our marriage certificate. However we do have a photocopy of it along with the original local copy. Will this be sufficient or do we need an original copy of the PSA certificate? If we need the original is there any way we can obtain one before our trip from the consulate in Chicago? If not are there any other options or do I need to try to change the dates of our flight?

When I was there all they needed was the marriage certificate that is it. So I would bring the photocopy and you should be good to go

2 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

When I was there all they needed was the marriage certificate that is it. So I would bring the photocopy and you should be good to go

So it doesnt have to be an original? 

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Just now, jg121783 said:

You should be good to go because I used a certified copy of ours but you know the Philippines. But this is what the embassy says: 

C. BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM 

Returning balikbayan may enter the Philippines without a visa and stay for a period one (1) year for tourism purposes. Under the Balikbayan Program (Republic Act 6768) of the Philippine government, the term balikbayan includes:

A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the country for a period of at least one (1) year from date of last departure;

A Filipino overseas worker;

A former Filipino citizen and his family members as this term is defined hereunder, who has been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines provided that the former Filipino citizen can show proof that his or her former Philippine citizenship (e.g. old/cancelled Philippine passport, Birth Certificate, or naturalization papers) upon arrival in the Philippines.

Foreigner spouses and children travelling with the former Filipino citizens may avail of this privilege by presenting before immigration officials legal documents establishing relationship with the former Filipino citizen upon arrival in the Philippines. These documents could either be a Marriage Certificate (for spouses) or Birth Certificate (for children). This privilege can only be availed of by family members/relatives if they are traveling to the Philippines together with the balikbayan (former Filipino).

https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/visa/persons-exempt-from-visa-requirements

9 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

That's right - a copy will suffice.

You would be entering as the spouse of a Balikbayan. Balikbayans are allowed to be in the Philippines visa free for  year. Just bring a copy of your marriage certificate.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

A copy of your marriage certificate should be good.  

We were never asked for it at any time last July when we got here.  My wife presented her two passports (both in married name) and mine, and that was it.  Our last name is odd enough that it would be tough to see that we are not married. 

Finally done.

3 hours ago, Talako said:

A copy of your marriage certificate should be good.  

We were never asked for it at any time last July when we got here.  My wife presented her two passports (both in married name) and mine, and that was it.  Our last name is odd enough that it would be tough to see that we are not married. 

Same here, they didn't ask for anything else but our passports.  We had everything but didn't need it.

Make sure you go through PI immigration together. Do not go through separately. 

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.