Stevephoto

Sending money--again!

20 posts in this topic

SORRY! I know this is oft-repeated question but I have not found anything recent (aka last year or so). Most of you know that Joan and I are moving to the Philippines when I retire next year (I just posted some replies to someone else who is thinking about the same thing!) Our house(s) (duplex) are moving along beautifully and on schedule (and have already survived two earthquakes and a typhoon, so we got lucky and found a terrific architect/builder.) We are scheduled to start paying for the second half of the project next month--which is a hunk of change even spread over ten month. We stand to save a lot of money with the current and projected exchange rates and we want to get the best we can. So, here is the oft-asked question: Who do you use (now) to send money? We have used:

Xoom--stupidly expensive for the kind of money we need to send with a lousy exchange rate

Remitly--Our current choice. Reliable, reasonably fast, not "fees" for transfers over $1K, clear daily, monthly and 6 monthly limits (which fit our needs), BUT not the best exchange rate (even 1 PHP per $ could save us a LOT of money)

WU--Better exchange rate even with the debit card fees (I understand that there are no fees bank to bank, but I even WU said they would be cautious giving the actual bank account information!), but we have had problems with transfers going through with them before and they don't tell you what your transmittal limits are ("You will know each time you log in." Yeah, but what if I need to make a house payment and you tell me I have reached my limit!)

Wise--Wise has been highly recommended on this site. I opened an account and found their fees to be more than I want to pay.

Has anyone used XE or World Remit? I've read ok things about them, but...I trust all of you.

Salamat as always!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Have you tried Ria money transfer?  Found those OK for thousands.  But for rare big bangs, I used my US check deposited to my brother's account.

I have been bouncing back and forth between Remitly and Sendwave. I stopped using Remitly due to low rates but the last several months they have been the highest. I stopped using WU due to fees.

I've been using wise.com for the the last few years from sending my wife spending money so she could spend time with her family while waiting out the i130 to sending money to her family for special occasions birthdays and anniversaries. 

01/28/2019 - Mailed Express Mail USCIS Lockbox Phoenix

01/29/2019 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox
02/04/2019 - Receipt Notice Via Text Message assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

My relative is building a house in the Philippines he is about $300K US Dollars into it so far.  He uses his Charles Schwabb debit card and has his wife take out $1000 USD per day, He claims exchange rates are good, and you do get your transaction fees rebated at the end of the month.

Maybe send a Charles Schwab card over there to her parents and let them start withdrawing daily. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Mick Jones said:

My relative is building a house in the Philippines he is about $300K US Dollars into it so far.  He uses his Charles Schwabb debit card and has his wife take out $1000 USD per day, He claims exchange rates are good, and you do get your transaction fees rebated at the end of the month.

Maybe send a Charles Schwab card over there to her parents and let them start withdrawing daily. 

I too have used Wise and would transfer to my GCash, but am now using the Charles Schwab debit card. I set up an account and will be giving my fiancée the debit card. The monthly rebate of the ATM fees and decent exchange rate is what sold me. 

1 hour ago, Mick Jones said:

38 minutes ago, Kurt and Kristina said:

I too have used Wise and would transfer to my GCash, but am now using the Charles Schwab debit card. I set up an account and will be giving my fiancée the debit card. The monthly rebate of the ATM fees and decent exchange rate is what sold me. 

Just be careful if you have a normal Schwab investment account.  Just like Fidelity, if they know you are not living in the U.S., they will try to close your accounts.   Happened to me with Fidelity.  I tried to open an account with Schwab but when I told them I was living in the Philippines, they denied me.

Schwab Int'l will allow overseas residence, but some investments are limited.  I think it all has to do with investments in certain U.S. mutual funds.  Foreign residence is not allowed by law.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

22 hours ago, hunny&me said:

Have you tried Ria money transfer?  Found those OK for thousands.  But for rare big bangs, I used my US check deposited to my brother's account.

Salamat! Ria seems to be a subsidiary of XE. Do you have any information about fees, exchange rates and sending limits?

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

17 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

Just be careful if you have a normal Schwab investment account.  Just like Fidelity, if they know you are not living in the U.S., they will try to close your accounts.   Happened to me with Fidelity.  I tried to open an account with Schwab but when I told them I was living in the Philippines, they denied me.

Schwab Int'l will allow overseas residence, but some investments are limited.  I think it all has to do with investments in certain U.S. mutual funds.  Foreign residence is not allowed by law.

He maintains a US residence mailing address, but lives in the Philippines

Funny thing I was in Philippines a few months ago, I have Bank of America and Schwabb.  I couldn't log onto my BOA bank account, every time I tried it wanted to send a code to my US cellphone number which I didn't bring with me, nor would it worked in PI.

Schwabb was no problem checking my bank account while in Philippines.

I found that a little odd.

10 hours ago, Stevephoto said:

Salamat! Ria seems to be a subsidiary of XE. Do you have any information about fees, exchange rates and sending limits?

No fee on times I used it (Bank to Bank). Limit 2,999 per trans.  See xrate, fees here before you send >> https://riamoneytransfer.com/

Limits here >> https://help.riamoneytransfer.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406616779665-FAQs-on-send-limits

7 hours ago, Mick Jones said:

which I didn't bring with me, nor would it worked in PI.

That's 1 reason I have T-Mobile. Free international text and data roaming. I always bring my phone.

Glad someone posted about this - we are thinking of retiring in the Philippines in the next 8 years or so.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.