RICHARD RILEY

I-864A Household member divorcing

39 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, nastra30 said:

Those are private lawsuits mostly by beneficiary suing sponsors. But has the US govt sued sponsors?

There was one of the state of Massachusetts. Don’t know about the federal government. Woman’s loser stepson refusing to work and claiming benefits and state claiming them back from her, and she was stuck indefinitely because he was refusing to naturalize. 

27 minutes ago, Chancy said:

You were misinformed.  You still have time to withdraw your I-864A.  The applicant is not an LPR yet, so the I-864A is not yet in effect.  Also, you signed an I-864A for someone who is applying for a visa from abroad, not applying for a green card inside the US, so it is the consulate in Manila that has jurisdiction over the case right now, not USCIS.  Withdraw your I-864A ASAP by contacting the IV unit at the US embassy in Manila via their public inquiry form here (select topic "Visa Processing") -- https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visa-inquiry-form/

This. I would also suggest so that it is on record, notifying NVC of the withdrawal as well. As per Mike’s post above it can (and must here) be done, but it must be done in writing.

The safest course of action is probably to communicate with both the NVC and the appropriate U.S. consulate. The request to withdraw a Form I-864 must be made in writing. When communicating the NVC you must include the visa application case number, as assigned by the NVC. This number can be found on the invoices issued by the NVC. (There will be one for the DS-260 and another for the Form I-864 – the invoice IDs will be different, but case number the same). The withdrawal letter should list the applicant’s full name and date of birth, along with the NVC case number.

The withdrawal letter should also be sent to the appropriate U.S. consulate. This can be somewhat trickier. Each consulate has an “immigrant visa” unit that processes permanent (i.e., “immigrant”) visa applications. But each consulate has different practices for how the immigrant visa unit communicates with applicants.

The written request to withdraw the Form I-864 should be sent in hard copy to the appropriate consulate – contact information can be found here. The letter should contain all the information included in the NVC letter. The letter should be sent with delivery confirmation. For guidelines on submitting immigrant visa-related documents to consulates, see the drop-down list on this Department of State page.

https://www.soundimmigration.com/withdraw-form-864-affidavit-support/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Don’t know about the federal government. 

So that's the parallel point I was trying to make in relation to CBP having authority with public charges . The federal govt by law has the authority to after people if they don't adhere to their I-864 obligations; they haven't so far but that doesn't mean they don't have authority to do so. Same with CBP, they do have authority to deny entry based on public charge; they just don't but that doesn't mean they don't have the authority to. 

2 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

So that's the parallel point I was trying to make in relation to CBP having authority with public charges . The federal govt by law has the authority to after people if they don't adhere to their I-864 obligations; they haven't so far but that doesn't mean they don't have authority to do so. Same with CBP, they do have authority to deny entry based on public charge; they just don't but that doesn't mean they don't have the authority to. 

So the answer to your question was indeed no. Got it, thanks, can we stop wasting time now that we have determined that (1) 864s can and are enforced (doesn’t matter by who if you still have to pay up, does it?) and (2) withdrawal  should be done before the visa is issued because CBP doesn’t magically know it’s been done and stop entry. Thanks.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

So the answer to your question was indeed no. Got it, thanks, can we stop wasting time now that we have determined that (1) 864s can and are enforced (doesn’t matter by who if you still have to pay up, does it?) and (2) withdrawal  should be done before the visa is issued because CBP doesn’t magically know it’s been done and stop entry. Thanks.

The answer is yes. I have already referenced the law. I didn't quote from thin air; stop gaslighting.
https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/791474-i-864a-household-member-divorcing/?do=findComment&comment=10752848

Edited by nastra30

19 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I would also suggest so that it is on record, notifying NVC of the withdrawal as well. As per Mike’s post above it can (and must here) be done, but it must be done in writing.

I agree.  Best to contact NVC and also to send the withdrawal request in writing to the consulate.

@RICHARD RILEY, here's the NVC public inquiry form -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/ask-nvc.html

Send your notarized letter of I-864A withdrawal to --

Consular Section - Immigrant Visa Unit

US Embassy in the Philippines

1201 Roxas Boulevard
Manila, Philippines 1000

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The only problem is I don't have the case number and the last time I talked to USCIS they didn't even want to talk to me unless she was actually present in the room with me. If I do contact the Embassy in Manila how can I prove to them that I am the household member and not somebody with bad intent?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, RICHARD RILEY said:

The only problem is I don't have the case number and the last time I talked to USCIS they didn't even want to talk to me unless she was actually present in the room with me. If I do contact the Embassy in Manila how can I prove to them that I am the household member and not somebody with bad intent?

Why are you talking to USCIS?

Send a copy of the document you signed with your letter to the address in Manilla that you were provided. Notarize your withdrawal letter.  

Edited by Mike E

3 hours ago, RICHARD RILEY said:

Notarize the letter

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.