leilabird

How to expedite I-90 Green Card Replacement processing time?

15 posts in this topic

I’m a green card holder and currently 5 months pregnant. My 2 year old toddler threw away all my cards including green card, driver’s license, social security card, and credit/debit cards. I filed for I90- Green Card Replacement in November 2021. I’m still waiting. My driver’s license expires in Feb 4, 2023 and I’m supposed to give birth on Feb 4, 2023 as well. I need a driver’s license to drive my baby to appointments or give birth at the hospital. The processing time says 16 months. It will mean I won’t receive my green card before the baby due date. How do I expedite this process? What application should I send?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
12 minutes ago, leilabird said:

I’m a green card holder and currently 5 months pregnant. My 2 year old toddler threw away all my cards including green card, driver’s license, social security card, and credit/debit cards. I filed for I90- Green Card Replacement in November 2021. I’m still waiting. My driver’s license expires in Feb 4, 2023 and I’m supposed to give birth on Feb 4, 2023 as well. I need a driver’s license to drive my baby to appointments or give birth at the hospital. The processing time says 16 months. It will mean I won’t receive my green card before the baby due date. How do I expedite this process? What application should I send?

New I-90 extension letters are now good for 24 months and USCIS says it will be sending 24 month  letters to those with 12 month letters.  

If you don’t get your 24 month letter by January, call USCIS, say “info pass”, and request an I-551 stamp 

Edited by Mike E

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I-90 extension letters are now good for 24 months and USCIS says it will be sending 24 month  letters to those with 12 month letters.  

If you don’t get your 24 month letter by January, call USCIS, say “info pass”, and request an I-551 stamp 

Thank you for your response!!! May I ask what is a I-90 extension letter? Are we talking about a receipt? Can I request for a new driver’s license with that receipt? Thanks so much!

Timeline
13 minutes ago, leilabird said:

Thank you for your response!!! May I ask what is a I-90 extension letter? Are we talking about a receipt? Can I request for a new driver’s license with that receipt? Thanks so much!

Sorry I am having a brain episode. Since you’ve lost the green card, the extension  letter / receipt by itself doesn’t do anything for you.

You will need the I-551 stamp to renew your DL.   

13 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Sorry I am having a brain episode. Since you’ve lost the green card, the extension  letter / receipt by itself doesn’t do anything for you.

You will need the I-551 stamp to renew your DL.   

I’m very confused. What’s a DL? Why do I need to file I-551? I already filed for I-90. Is it not enough? My green card has no expiration date. I just need a new replacement card and the I-90 needs to be expedited. Just wanted to know how to request expedite it. Thanks so much!  

10 minutes ago, leilabird said:

I’m very confused. What’s a DL? Why do I need to file I-551? I already filed for I-90. Is it not enough? My green card has no expiration date. I just need a new replacement card and the I-90 needs to be expedited. Just wanted to know how to request expedite it. Thanks so much!  

@leilabird DL = Driver's License

You need I-551 stamp because you don't have an expired Green Card with I-90 receipt, which would be proof of your status for DMV. I-90 letter on its own is not enough.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, leilabird said:

I’m very confused. What’s a DL?

drivers license 

Why do I need to file I-551?

In some if not most states, an I-551 is required for an LPR (lawful permanent resident) to get a DL. 

An I-551 is usually a green card. It can also be a stamp.

I already filed for I-90. Is it not enough?

In my experience, an I-90 receipt without a green card is not enough for an LPR to get a DL.  The rules might be different in your state. 

My green card has no expiration date.

When was your gc issued?

Were you under age 18 when you received it?

I just need a new replacement card and the I-90 needs to be expedited. Just wanted to know how to request expedite it. Thanks so much!  

I am sorry but I don’t see it being expedited.  Millions of LPRs are waiting like you for a replacement  gc.  You will likely need an I-551 stamp to get a new DL.  Or your new gc will be issued in time.  Which I also think is not likely. 

Edited by Mike E

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

drivers license 

In some if not most states, an I-551 is required for an LPR (lawful permanent resident) to get a DL. 

An I-551 is usually a green card. It can also be a stamp.

In my experience, an I-90 receipt without a green card is not enough for an LPR to get a DL.  The rules might be different in your state. 

When was your gc issued?

Were you under age 18 when you received it?

I am sorry but I don’t see it being expedited.  Millions of LPRs are waiting like you for a replacement  gc.  You will likely need an I-551 stamp to get a new DL.  Or your new gc will be issued in time.  Which I also think is not likely. 

Yes, I understand that I’m not the only one is waiting. I used to work with an immigration attorney and she expedited all my filings before. I guess I will have to get a lawyer. I was hoping to DIY this time.  

18 minutes ago, OldUser said:

@leilabird DL = Driver's License

You need I-551 stamp because you don't have an expired Green Card with I-90 receipt, which would be proof of your status for DMV. I-90 letter on its own is not enough.

Thank you so much! It all makes sense now. Thanks again!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Since you lost your original green card, the I-90 extension letter that you received back in Nov 21 is useless. So what you need to do is to call the 800 number, say info pass, and ask them to schedule you for an info pass appointment so that they can stamp you an I-551. That I-551 is your new green card, which you will present with the extension letter to get a new drivers license.

They will tell you they don’t have any appointments available, but go ahead and insist explaining your situation.

PS: you gotta love the terrible twos!  

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

8 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Since you lost your original green card, the I-90 extension letter that you received back in Nov 21 is useless. So what you need to do is to call the 800 number, say info pass, and ask them to schedule you for an info pass appointment so that they can stamp you an I-551. That I-551 is your new green card, which you will present with the extension letter to get a new drivers license.

They will tell you they don’t have any appointments available, but go ahead and insist explaining your situation.

PS: you gotta love the terrible twos!  

Is it possible to talk to a real person at the 800 number? I called and the robot directed me back to the USCIS website. But yeah, I’ll call tomorrow. 

(Ugh! We saw him on the home camera footage stealing my cards from the office desk drawer and casually putting my cards in to the trash can next to it. My husband took that trash out the next day🤦🏻‍♀️)

Edited by leilabird

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
15 minutes ago, leilabird said:

Is it possible to talk to a real person at the 800 number? I called and the robot directed me back to the USCIS website. But yeah, I’ll call tomorrow. 

(Ugh! We saw him on the home camera footage stealing my cards from the office desk drawer and casually putting my cards in to the trash can next to it. My husband took that trash out the next day🤦🏻‍♀️)

If you say info pass yes, they’ll connect you to an agent. Call first thing in the morning.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

• 1 year later...

On February 20, 2024 I received a notification saying my card is being produced. I waited 27 whole months. I applied because my two year old toddler threw away my documents. Now I have another kid who is 13 months old. Out of desperation I applied for US citizenship because people keep saying it’s 4-6 months to get approved. I had no intention to apply for US citizenship before because I really didn’t feel like I needed to. No difference to me honestly. On February 23, 2024 I got another notification saying my citizenship interview is scheduled. Crazy turn of events.

8 minutes ago, leilabird said:

On February 20, 2024 I received a notification saying my card is being produced. I waited 27 whole months. I applied because my two year old toddler threw away my documents. Now I have another kid who is 13 months old. Out of desperation I applied for US citizenship because people keep saying it’s 4-6 months to get approved. I had no intention to apply for US citizenship before because I really didn’t feel like I needed to. No difference to me honestly. On February 23, 2024 I got another notification saying my citizenship interview is scheduled. Crazy turn of events.

As a wild theory, USCIS reviewed entire immigration history when you applied for I-90 and once it was approved, it unlocked N-400. 

9 minutes ago, OldUser said:

As a wild theory, USCIS reviewed entire immigration history when you applied for I-90 and once it was approved, it unlocked N-400. 

Considering two different offices handling my applications I doubt that’s the case but who knows. I also reached out to my congresswoman’s office on February 14, 2024 and they responded to me the next day. The congresswoman’s office quickly sent their request regarding my i-90. So really, I have no idea if that helped either. I informed them and thanked them for their help. The congresswoman’s office didn’t sound like their request had anything to do with it since they didn’t get a response from the USCIS. They said they’ll email me when they get a response from USCIS for my record.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.