Klugscheißer

USCIS erased my first name and couldn't fix the error... any ideas what I'm supposed to do now?

8 posts in this topic

Good Morning,

So, I sent my ROC package in July and received my extension letter shortly after. Everything was correct, name, address, etc. About 2-3 weeks after that, I received my biometrics notice in the mail. The address was correct, but they erased my first name. It was addressed to "no given name" MY MIDDLE NAME, MY LAST NAME. Well, I thought, I could get it fixed when I go to the biometrics, so I didn't even try to do anything about it then.

I went to the biometrics appointment and explained what happened and they told me, they have never seen it before. They gave my paperwork to the officer and he tried to fix it in the system, but he couldn't. They told me, I have to call the hotline and let them fix it. I tried multiple times to talk to a representative, but couldn't get a real person on the phone. Even though it's not a typographical error, I filed the form to correct one. I was supposed to get a response by yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet.

I was already annoyed that I had to go to biometrics as it is because they had fingerprints on file and it was a 3 hour drive (one way) to the ASC... I was even more annoyed to hear that I had to go there because of a "name change", which they caused.

If I ever have to renew documents or apply for anything where they need to check my immigration status, they won't be able to. Proofing a name change that I didn't do is a little difficult. It's not like a name change from maiden to married name that I could proof.

So my question is... Does anybody know what I'm supposed to do now? I ran out of ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you guys!

I didn't notice that asking for "technical assistance" doesn't work anymore. Just came across the thread that says "infopass" or "lost receipt" works. Took less than 10 minutes to talk to a person. But they couldn't help either. They said I should wait another week and see if I get a response for my typographical error request and if I don't, I should call them again and they'll send another one out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Klugscheißer said:

Thank you guys!

I didn't notice that asking for "technical assistance" doesn't work anymore. Just came across the thread that says "infopass" or "lost receipt" works. Took less than 10 minutes to talk to a person. But they couldn't help either. They said I should wait another week and see if I get a response for my typographical error request and if I don't, I should call them again and they'll send another one out.

Next time ask for a tier 2 officer to call you regarding your case 

Just now, Mike E said:

Next time ask for a tier 2 officer to call you regarding your case 

I might do it, if I have to call again.

Hopefully, they just work on my request, so I don't have to call again. Lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband had a similar issue with ROC, his first name was not spelled correctly on the NOA for his I-751, and the same error on the biometrics notice.  They did not let him correct it at the ASC when he went for biometrics.  He tried the online typographical error correction twice, no response after many weeks of waiting.  Eventually he sent a letter, hard copy, via snail mail, to the NBC requesting the name correction, and included photocopies of everything: both NOAs, green card, passport, I-751, biometrics notice.  Within two weeks his online account case status showed "name updated."  So I suggest sending a letter with supporting documentation to the same USCIS address on the NOA.  USCIS makes many errors.  Good luck!

On 9/24/2022 at 6:35 AM, carmel34 said:

My husband had a similar issue with ROC, his first name was not spelled correctly on the NOA for his I-751, and the same error on the biometrics notice.  They did not let him correct it at the ASC when he went for biometrics.  He tried the online typographical error correction twice, no response after many weeks of waiting.  Eventually he sent a letter, hard copy, via snail mail, to the NBC requesting the name correction, and included photocopies of everything: both NOAs, green card, passport, I-751, biometrics notice.  Within two weeks his online account case status showed "name updated."  So I suggest sending a letter with supporting documentation to the same USCIS address on the NOA.  USCIS makes many errors.  Good luck!

Thank you!

I thought about that idea, too.

Will probably do it, if I don't hear back from them soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.