hasmax80

Can you bring children to I-751 and N-400 combo interview

8 posts in this topic

My spouse will join me for combo I-751 and N-400 interview next month. We have two kids:4 year old daughter and my son is almost 2 years. My question is can I bring them to the interview? It will be in San Francisco field office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I don’t think it’s a good idea. Who’s taking care of them while you’re at the interview?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

A lawyer mentioned that is a good idea to bring the kids for I-751 Interview. My wife is the applicant and I will be with her during the interview. I will update you all after the interview.

The offices are still taking extra precautions to only allow individuals who are required to be there for the interviews. 

While it seems like a good idea to bring the rock solid proofs of your genuine marriage, pictures and birth certificates will suffice instead of physical presence. 

What you need to think about is, what if the security doesn't let your kids in, who will look after them when both of you are required to be in the waiting area.

So based on a lawyer input and some folks who had no issue bringing kids. That said you made a valid point and I came across USCIS visitor policy and it allows immediate family members listed as dependents in the application to accompany parents during the appointment. I have pasted below for the benefit of everyone. We decided to bring our kids because it is not possible logistically to leave them behind and we feel bringing them to the appointment will help our case not that it will be needed. I will let everyone how it goes.

USCIS Visitor Policy

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-visitor-policy

We must limit the number of people in our waiting rooms. Only the following people may accompany you at your appointment:

• An attorney;
  • An interpreter (if permitted under specific guidance about interpreters for affirmative asylum interviews);
  • A parent, legal guardian, or a trusted adult, if the applicant being interviewed is a minor;
  • Immediate family members listed as dependents on the application or interview notice; or
  • An individual assisting a disabled person
Edited by hasmax80

7 hours ago, hasmax80 said:

A lawyer mentioned that is a good idea to bring the kids for I-751 Interview. My wife is the applicant and I will be with her during the interview. I will update you all after the interview.

That fellow who advised you it’s a “ good idea” is not doing you any favors…it will NOT help your case but may seriously annoy/ distract your interviewing officer. ..not to mention that he/she may not be on the same wavelength as to COVID-19 protocols of squeezing all 4 of you in the small cubicle office. 

If you were attending a Job interview or had to appear in court for a traffic ticket..common sense sense would dictate that YOU need to focus and accord the process your undivided attention. 

Your children’s birth certificate is already part of the record..so whatever part of you agrees with the recommendation to bring the children…talk it through and shake it off as a truly bad idea. 

• 5 weeks later...

So we decided to take the kids and in fact officer appreciated this and he saod folks bring kids all the time and I did see many people who brought their children. My advise is bring your kids if they are well behaved and don't distrust the process. I understand not many can bring kids so not for everyone. I can tell you officer asked general questions and skipped over many unnecessary questions. It was very relaxed interview and he even share a lot about his kids kids; kids bring joy to any environment and bring the best sides of the officers. My wife passed her I-751 and then then her N-400. My wife was scheduled for 1pm same day oath ceremony and now she is a citizen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.