A.A

i-751 stuck on fingerprint were taken

12 posts in this topic

My wife applied for her i-751 in May 2021 and went to her fingerprint appointment in October 2021. The status on USCIS says "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken". It has been like this since October 2021.

Few questions

Is it normal to be stuck on "Fingerprints were taken"? I know the process takes a long time, but it is stuck on "fingerprint were taken". Shouldn't the status change?

What is the next step? Is it immediately the interview? Or is interview waived due to covid?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, A.A said:

My wife applied for her i-751 in May 2021 and went to her fingerprint appointment in October 2021. The status on USCIS says "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken". It has been like this since October 2021.

Few questions

Is it normal to be stuck on "Fingerprints were taken"? I know the process takes a long time, but it is stuck on "fingerprint were taken". Shouldn't the status change?

What is the next step? Is it immediately the interview? Or is interview waived due to covid?  

It is pretty normal to have the status stay "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken" for a long time (over a year or more). Some people get the update "Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" next, but some don't. Even if it does change to the "Ready" status, it does not mean you will get an interview or approval soon. 

As for interview - it depends. These days it looks like most people who went through an AOS interview get their ROC interview waived. However, there are always exceptions and some people who did not do an AOS interview still get their ROC interview waived.

On the flip side, if you end up filing N-400 while your I-751 is still processing, you may never get an update on the I-751 but receive a "combo interview" to approve both the N-400 and I-751 (even though the I-751 becomes moot at that point). 

The TL;DR - Yes it's normal and USCIS is inconsistent with updating the online status. You may or may not get an interview - just have to wait and see. 

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

45 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

It is pretty normal to have the status stay "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken" for a long time (over a year or more). Some people get the update "Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" next, but some don't. Even if it does change to the "Ready" status, it does not mean you will get an interview or approval soon. 

As for interview - it depends. These days it looks like most people who went through an AOS interview get their ROC interview waived. However, there are always exceptions and some people who did not do an AOS interview still get their ROC interview waived.

On the flip side, if you end up filing N-400 while your I-751 is still processing, you may never get an update on the I-751 but receive a "combo interview" to approve both the N-400 and I-751 (even though the I-751 becomes moot at that point). 

The TL;DR - Yes it's normal and USCIS is inconsistent with updating the online status. You may or may not get an interview - just have to wait and see. 

Great information, thank you.

One more question, what are an AOS interview and ROC interview? 

@A.A 

AOS - adjustment of status. This occurs when person entered the US with no intent to remain permanently, but then met someone, married, and decided to settle. Or K1 visa.

ROC - removal of conditions. This occurs when somebody received their permanent resident status based on marriage to US citizen and their marriage was less than 2 years when permanent residency was granted to immigrant.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, A.A said:

Great information, thank you.

One more question, what are an AOS interview and ROC interview? 

AOS = Adjustment of Status. If you went through the K1 (fiancé) visa process or adjusted status after marriage while here on another visa, you would have done AOS

ROC = Removal of Conditions. That is the I-751 process, to get a 10 year green card.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

1 hour ago, A.A said:

Few questions

Ours has had that notice since last December.  We don't expect any movement on our case for another year.  We also don't expect to have an interview, since we had one for AOS, and our case went straight to Nebraska.

They're not doing waivers due to Covid these days.

20 hours ago, A.A said:

Few questions

This is normal! My husbands has been sitting so long that he already applied for naturalization. He had his interview, passed it and now waiting. They said it will take less than a month for him to get the ceremony letter. The status has changed now with his I-751

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Unfortunately it’s extremely normal, We are from June, 2021 - Texas Service Center and it still shows “case was received” hopefully we all see some movement in the next 4-6 months. Crossing my fingers!

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Max_The_Cat said:

any update in your case? I applied for I-751 in June 2021, and my case has been stuck on biometrics since Oct 2022

Yes, my wife received her Greencard early August 2023. if you view our timeline it will give you exact dates. No interview or RFEs. I hope your process starts to see movement. We originally applied via K-1 visa.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:24 PM, A.A said:

Few questions

might as well file for n400 at this point. 

edit: didn't see a few last comments. congratz.

Edited by Legend of Summer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.