valentinanola

I-864 for US Citizen's children

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I recently posted as my husband and I are in the process of moving back to the US. A short intro:

I moved to NYC from London (I'm an Italian citizen) in January 2017 with a K-1 Visa and got married to my US Citizen husband within a month. I  got a conditional permanent resident green card, had our first baby in August 2018 and moved back to Italy in August 2019. We were meant to stay for only 6 months, but then due to COVID, work issues, and another pregnancy, we were forced to stay in Italy and I failed to remove conditions on my green card (which also was stolen along with my wallet a few months ago, so I do not have the physical one anymore but only copies of it).

We are now gearing up to apply for an I-130 to re-enter the country, both our children are US Citizens as one was born in the US and the other one was registered at the US Embassy in Rome after her birth. My question is: as I am the only one that will in fact be immigrating as both my children and my husband are US citizens, will the I-864 still have to account for a household of 4? Or will I be the only one needing a sponsor?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Household size is 4 but the only one needing sponsoring via I-864 is you. The $$ for sponsorship  is at the household level. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
34 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Household size is 4 but the only one needing sponsoring via I-864 is you. The $$ for sponsorship  is at the household level. 

Thanks! Since my husband works in Italy and doesn't have any assets in the US, his mom will be our co-sponsor. Should her income level only be enough for me or for our household?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, valentinanola said:

Thanks! Since my husband works in Italy and doesn't have any assets in the US, his mom will be our co-sponsor. Should her income level only be enough for me or for our household?

Your husband will fill out an I-864 as required by law, even if he doesn’t qualify. His income needed is based on his household—a household of 4. 

Mom can be a joint sponsor and fill out an I-864. She is only sponsoring you. Her income needed will be based on her household plus you. So if it’s just Mom, then household of 2—Mom plus you. Or maybe it’s Mom and Dad plus you—a household of 3.

The US citizens do not need to be sponsored.

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.