Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,201 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, 3LabMom said:

We had our interview in Montreal today for EB-1.  It was approved and CEAC is showing "Issued."  They asked very few questions, most of the time was spent providing original documents and finger prints.  Our questions were what I intended to do for work/was I going to just find a job once I approved, if either of us had previously been married, had either of us ever lived outside of Canada and where we planned on living once we arrived in the US.  There were no issues updating our address or passport.  We were in and out in under an hour.

Congratulations @3LabMom! Can I ask - did you need to carry a travel history document? We are Canadian citizens with extensive travel to US since DQ & DS260 filing - wondering if we need to carry travel history. 

1 hour ago, DrJh07 said:

You can see the DQ here if you ask for the access.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14yZKxht6igwJPXPU0EehKmmN2hx1g3EchEuB5G0yNO4/edit#gid=0

I really hope that you will not have to wait too long like most of us. This experience has been soul crushing...

Hi DrJh07
I just asked access to the spreadsheets. Thanks

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, newbie75 said:

Congratulations @3LabMom! Can I ask - did you need to carry a travel history document? We are Canadian citizens with extensive travel to US since DQ & DS260 filing - wondering if we need to carry travel history. 

Thanks @newbie75 They did not ask about our travel history at all.  We did hear them asking the fellow next to us about his travel history though.  I did carry a travel history document (I had a 5 year and a 15 year ready).  Here is a list of what I brought with me:

I-140 Petition

Response to RFE

Previous Immigration File (Did a FOIA request as I was previously a green card holder as a minor)

Photocopies of all original docs (was only asked for copy of new passport)

Cancelled Passport that I had used on DS260

All original documents submitted to NVC (We provided updated police checks as the documentation provided says it expires after 1 year and I wasn't going to take a chance with ours that were two years old in May).

Last three years of tax returns for both my husband and I

Letter from company I do contract work for saying they plan to continue to utilize my services once I move to US

Current Work Orders

Mortgage Pre-Approval

Resume for both of us

2 passport style photos for each of us

Interview Letter

Appointment Registration Confirmation

NVC Invoice

IV Payment Fee Confirmation

DS260 for both of us

Proof of payment for 

5 year travel history

15 year travel history

I had everything broken down into different file folders with tabs for easy reference.  I know this is probably way too much stuff to bring, but I wanted to be overprepared and have anything they could possibly ask for.  Hope this helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, 3LabMom said:

I had everything broken down into different file folders with tabs for easy reference.  I know this is probably way too much stuff to bring, but I wanted to be overprepared and have anything they could possibly ask for.  Hope this helps.

It's definitely better to be over prepared than under.  When you're over, they ask for nothing.  When you're under, they ask for everything.  

I just did my Naturalization interview, took all the paperwork that had been provided when I submitted my petition, as instructed, and the only thing the interviewer asked to see was my passport and DL.  

Congrats on the approval and good luck with moving and FINALLY being able to begin the next chapter! 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

16 minutes ago, 3LabMom said:

Thanks @newbie75 They did not ask about our travel history at all.  We did hear them asking the fellow next to us about his travel history though.  I did carry a travel history document (I had a 5 year and a 15 year ready).  Here is a list of what I brought with me:

I-140 Petition

Response to RFE

Previous Immigration File (Did a FOIA request as I was previously a green card holder as a minor)

All original documents submitted to NVC (We provided updated police checks as the documentation provided says it expires after 1 year and I wasn't going to take a chance with ours that were two years old in May).

Letter from company I do contract work for saying they plan to continue to utilize my services once I move to US

Current Work Orders

Mortgage Pre-Approval

Resume for both of us

Interview Letter

NVC Invoice

DS260 for both of us

Proof of payment for 

5 year travel history

15 year travel history

This is super helpful @3LabMom! Thank you and much appreciate you sharing your experience and this information with the group.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, mam521 said:

It's definitely better to be over prepared than under.  When you're over, they ask for nothing.  When you're under, they ask for everything.  

I just did my Naturalization interview, took all the paperwork that had been provided when I submitted my petition, as instructed, and the only thing the interviewer asked to see was my passport and DL.  

Congrats on the approval and good luck with moving and FINALLY being able to begin the next chapter! 

Agreed @mam521!!   I also think it shows them how serious you are about the process and respect their time.

We are going to keep the documents as is and update prior to naturalization to avoid having to track down everything again.

Thank you.  We are hoping to head south in two weeks...ambitious I'm sure, but we just want to get settled. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, 3LabMom said:

Agreed @mam521!!   I also think it shows them how serious you are about the process and respect their time.

We are going to keep the documents as is and update prior to naturalization to avoid having to track down everything again.

Thank you.  We are hoping to head south in two weeks...ambitious I'm sure, but we just want to get settled. 

I still have my original Montreal consulate flexi folder with everything in it and the additional documents for my N-400.  I don't think I'll unload it until after everyone has their US passports and the kids have their N-600's!  PTSD with Immi is for real!

You'll make it - we had our interview, got approved, sold off extra stuff, packed the house and managed to come through the border during covid when it was closed within 3 weeks, so you'll be ok :D 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
52 minutes ago, 3LabMom said:

I-140 Petition

Response to RFE

Current Work Orders

Mortgage Pre-Approval

Resume for both of us

Interview Letter

NVC Invoice

DS260 for both of us

Proof of payment for 

5 year travel history

15 year travel history

@3LabMom Did they ask for the original or photocopies of the documents sent to USCIS too e.g., publications,  citations, recommendation letters, degrees, certifications, etc.?  Because if they do then I'm gonna need to take 3-4 suitcases of documents with me LOL 

2 hours ago, 3LabMom said:

I-140 Petition

Response to RFE

Current Work Orders

Mortgage Pre-Approval

Resume for both of us

Interview Letter

NVC Invoice

DS260 for both of us

Proof of payment for 

5 year travel history

15 year travel history

Damn, to say you are PREPARED is an understatement lol

Timeline
1 hour ago, Coco_2023 said:

@3LabMom Did they ask for the original or photocopies of the documents sent to USCIS too e.g., publications,  citations, recommendation letters, degrees, certifications, etc.?  Because if they do then I'm gonna need to take 3-4 suitcases of documents with me LOL 

Nope, I did have the copies in my I-140 though.  I don't think they are really looking at the merits of your case at this point, instead making sure you aren't a threat to national security, you have a plan for housing, you have a plan for work, and you are who you say you are type thing.

58 minutes ago, 3LabMom said:

By chance does anyone know how long it is taking to get the notification that your passport is being returned via Purolator?

In our case, status on the site changed from Ready to Issued the same day of the interview and received Purolator notification for tracking passport email next day evening.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, 3LabMom said:

Nope, I did have the copies in my I-140 though.  I don't think they are really looking at the merits of your case at this point, instead making sure you aren't a threat to national security, you have a plan for housing, you have a plan for work, and you are who you say you are type thing.

@3LabMom Did your IL get emailed or mailed to your home address?

Timeline
42 minutes ago, ACC24 said:

In our case, status on the site changed from Ready to Issued the same day of the interview and received Purolator notification for tracking passport email next day evening.

Ours was changed to Issued by the time we go back to the hotel, which was all of 15 min at most.  Hopefully we receive our tacking # tonight or Monday.

20 minutes ago, Coco_2023 said:

@3LabMom Did your IL get emailed or mailed to your home address?

E-mailed and mailed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.