Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,174 posts in this topic

Just planning my move to the US, but curious if it's permitted to work in Canada in the interim after initially crossing the border to the US in early January (looking for a house), then returning to Canada for 6 weeks before finally moving and transporting our belongings in late February. So is it possible to work in Canada in the interim (after the initial border crossing) until late February? 

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, CaveMan2 said:

Just planning my move to the US, but curious if it's permitted to work in Canada in the interim after initially crossing the border to the US in early January (looking for a house), then returning to Canada for 6 weeks before finally moving and transporting our belongings in late February. So is it possible to work in Canada in the interim (after the initial border crossing) until late February? 

Yes, once you have your green card you are. Taxes will be a bit more complex though so bare in mind the date that you declare yourself a non-resident of Canada for taxes, will be the date you become USA resident for tax purposes. I advice doing that after you leave permanently for good for simplicity. 

On 10/16/2022 at 9:28 AM, CaveMan2 said:

I also read on IR/CR forum that once you activate your green card - you immediately lose your Canadian medical coverage. I wasn't able to find a confirmation in any official resources, but it's something you also need to take in for consideration.

Edited by Van24

3 hours ago, Van24 said:

I also read on IR/CR forum that once you activate your green card - you immediately lose your Canadian medical coverage. I wasn't able to find a confirmation in any official resources, but it's something you also need to take in for consideration.

I have read many posts on this too. Also wondering if there is anything on an official Canadian site that confirms this? 

Edited by JustHopeful

I am new to this forum.

We have received our case id from NVC and are in the process of getting the documents ready. We are Indian citizens.

Having a hard time getting non-availability of birth certificate from India (Tamil Nadu). Anyone has recent
experience on how we can get it? Any contacts of agents or someone who can help us in this.

Appreciate any leads from other members. We cannot submit our documents until we get this, a major roadblock for us.
Thanks

Timeline
10 hours ago, Van24 said:

I doubt this is the case. How can OHIP/Provincial Health can know your immigration status (Immigration Canada) nor tax residency status (CRA).

26 minutes ago, ak47 said:

Congratulations VA21202. That is a good news.

I have a question. I have worked in US for a few years. do i need a PCC fbi clearance ? 

Thanks! No, in fact they have explicitly stated that you don’t need a PCC from the US (I forgot where they mentioned that but I’ve seen that note for sure). 

Edited by VA21202

3 minutes ago, VA21202 said:

Thanks! No, in fact they have explicitly stated that you don’t need a PCC from the US (I forgot where they mentioned that but I’ve seen that note for sure). 

Note: Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Edited by VA21202

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, Leeching Spouse said:

I doubt this is the case. How can OHIP/Provincial Health can know your immigration status (Immigration Canada) nor tax residency status (CRA).

https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-absence-from-alberta.aspx - In Alberta sounds like we have to contact them to let them know you are moving.

Timeline
3 hours ago, VA21202 said:

Happy to share that I had the interview this morning and the officer said I will be approved. Hoping to receive the passports soon.

Overall very smooth process, consulate staff were courteous, officer was great! Same questions that everyone has shared earlier: Workplace, Role, Company etc and some general questions about education and previous trips to the US. Documents request was nothing outside of the usual, all the standard docs listed on the Montreal specific page: Birth certificate, Police Certificate, Marriage/Divorce etc. 

Thanks all in the forum for keeping the convo going and the last 28 months since DQ (June 2020) were definitely not easy but became easier and more predictable based on experiences shared here. Wish you all the best, thanks!

Thanks for sharing the good news and all the best.

would you please let us know if you are originally from middle east?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.