Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,203 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Characteristicall said:

Hello everyone. I'm in the same path as most of you, EB2-NIW, currently waiting for my IL. I have a question about US address. I've seen some people mention "providing a US address" during the consular interview. I also read a post by @pow123 , who also mentioned a US address during the interview. Does anyone know if we need to provide a US address to the consular officer during the interview? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks. 

Yes I believe I was asked for a US address during the interview. 

2 hours ago, pow123 said:

Yes I believe I was asked for a US address during the interview. 

Thank you for confirming, @pow123. May I ask what is this US address for? Is the question like "where are you going to stay in the US?"  I don't know where I would stay at this time.  If I am approved , I plan to look for a place to rent, but during the interview I would not know what the address would be. Or, is the question different than where I would be staying in the us? Any insights? Thanks a lot!

4 hours ago, Blueeyes1989 said:

@Characteristicall You need to provide US address during interview. What is your DQ date and priority date? I will add you to our EB tracker

Hi @Blueeyes1989, thanks for your response. The thing is, I don't know right now where I will be staying in the US. I  plan to rent an apartment if I get the visa. Do you know why they are asking a US address for? Is their question "where are you going to stay in the US" or something else? I have an attorney on file, who has a US address but it is not where I would stay int he US. It is only for paperwork and such. Thanks again. 

1 minute ago, Characteristicall said:

Thank you for confirming, @pow123. May I ask what is this US address for? Is the question like "where are you going to stay in the US?"  I don't know where I would stay at this time.  If I am approved , I plan to look for a place to rent, but during the interview I would not know what the address would be. Or, is the question different than where I would be staying in the us? Any insights? Thanks a lot!

I don't recall exactly how the question was phrased but both the consular officer and the CBP officer at my POE asked for my address in the US. I believe the address you provide determines where your social security card and green card are sent. You can change where the green card is sent on the USCIS website after entry but I don't believe you can do so for the SS card because it gets sent pretty fast (within 1-2 weeks of entry).

5 minutes ago, pow123 said:

I don't recall exactly how the question was phrased but both the consular officer and the CBP officer at my POE asked for my address in the US. I believe the address you provide determines where your social security card and green card are sent. You can change where the green card is sent on the USCIS website after entry but I don't believe you can do so for the SS card because it gets sent pretty fast (within 1-2 weeks of entry).

Oh, I see. I have an attorney on file, so I could perhaps give his US address. 

1 minute ago, Characteristicall said:

Oh, I see. I have an attorney on file, so I could perhaps give his US address. 

Yes that is an option. 

We actually did that at the POE because we were in the middle of a move. We gave our attorney's address as the mailing address and gave him a different "physical address". 

5 minutes ago, pow123 said:

Yes that is an option. 

We actually did that at the POE because we were in the middle of a move. We gave our attorney's address as the mailing address and gave him a different "physical address". 

Sounds great! Okay, I can then provide the attorney's address when asked. Thanks a lot. 

Update

EB2 NIW petition received by USCIS April 2020

USCIS approval Dec 2021

DQ'd May 27 2022

Interview and approval: Sept 23, 2022

I tried expediting my interview twice after being DQ'd , but was denied both times. I was surprised to receive my interview date in September. Interview was straightforward. 

1 hour ago, CaveMan2 said:

Update

EB2 NIW petition received by USCIS April 2020

USCIS approval Dec 2021

DQ'd May 27 2022

Interview and approval: Sept 23, 2022

I tried expediting my interview twice after being DQ'd , but was denied both times. I was surprised to receive my interview date in September. Interview was straightforward. 

What was the justification you used to try and expedite? 

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 10/7/2022 at 3:42 PM, CaveMan2 said:

I have a question about EB2 NIW expectations. I plan to move to the US in January 2023, but would like to go down there first to look for a house for 2-3 weeks, then return to Canada and transport all belongings. So it may take a month or so after my initial entry before I can start work. Is this an issue? 

No, this won't be an issue given that it will take 2-3 weeks to receive your SSN, and also driver's license etc. 

On 10/7/2022 at 5:19 PM, ALC said:

What was the justification you used to try and expedite? 

I am a healthcare worker, working in the field of mental health and addiction. With the opiate epidemic, expediting would be important since treating opiate addiction is a large part of my work. No luck with expedite requests however. 

15 hours ago, CaveMan2 said:

I am a healthcare worker, working in the field of mental health and addiction. With the opiate epidemic, expediting would be important since treating opiate addiction is a large part of my work. No luck with expedite requests however. 

Gotcha, yeah, from what I was told by my lawyer, the basis for expedition was more personal emergency types, than professional fields ect. But I am glad they were able to move you forward!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.