2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
Just now, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Do you know roughly how long it takes them to get through it then? Would it average to "within 60 days" like the consulate says on their site? 

My Chinese colleague told me that almost all chinese H1B applicants need to go through admin processing. It typically takes 4 to 6 weeks to be processed in China. Who knows if it is Mantis or something else though. 

11 minutes ago, CondorMantis said:

My Chinese colleague told me that almost all chinese H1B applicants need to go through admin processing. It typically takes 4 to 6 weeks to be processed in China. Who knows if it is Mantis or something else though. 

Blah. We've crossed the 6 weeks mark last week, and so we're dangerously approaching the 8 week point. I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed and hoping for the best.. Not sure if IR1 is any different from H1B, but it is what it is.

Edited by Phil_K_IR1

What's super frustrating (good for them though, wouldn't wish this in anyone ) is you see other embassies starting to clear these 5535s efficiently.

I've recently seen posts from folks in Beruit and Ankara cleaning in 3-8 weeks. Even Islamabad.

I understand these  security clearances go to some other unknown agencies for processing, it just seems odd that for Canadians -who come from a country  which instantly  shares all police/security issues with the US... - would face such severe delays ? 

Saw a post from someone who was worried their spouse would be stuck in DS5535 because they lived in Turkey , close to Syria, but cleared in a few weeks? 

Yet Canadians, who mostly live in the thin habitable strip near the US border, are being heavily delayed?

I just really question what is going on?  Are our files just sitting there until someone picks them up, does a few clicks, "yeah he/she is good". 

If anyone had any sort of background security concerns, they would never be allowed to enter the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, ShawnK said:

What's super frustrating (good for them though, wouldn't wish this in anyone ) is you see other embassies starting to clear these 5535s efficiently.

I've recently seen posts from folks in Beruit and Ankara cleaning in 3-8 weeks. Even Islamabad.

I understand these  security clearances go to some other unknown agencies for processing, it just seems odd that for Canadians -who come from a country  which instantly  shares all police/security issues with the US... - would face such severe delays ? 

Saw a post from someone who was worried their spouse would be stuck in DS5535 because they lived in Turkey , close to Syria, but cleared in a few weeks? 

Yet Canadians, who mostly live in the thin habitable strip near the US border, are being heavily delayed?

I just really question what is going on?  Are our files just sitting there until someone picks them up, does a few clicks, "yeah he/she is good". 

If anyone had any sort of background security concerns, they would never be allowed to enter the US.

Ya I agree 100%.

When I was given 221g, I was told that a ds5535 will be sent to me but that never happened. I waited 3 weeks and took matters into my own hands and send in the anticipated information myself. I was only able to confirm receipt after multiple follow-up emails. 

I guess for anyone new here waiting for AP clearance, start looking for alternative route. WIT doesn’t sound like an effective solution anymore compared to a year ago. If you are given 221g with ds5535 requirement, you are in for a long long ride. I hope that I’m wrong but expect wait time to be at least 8+ months. 

7 minutes ago, APRIL2023 said:

Ya I agree 100%.

When I was given 221g, I was told that a ds5535 will be sent to me but that never happened. I waited 3 weeks and took matters into my own hands and send in the anticipated information myself. I was only able to confirm receipt after multiple follow-up emails. 

I guess for anyone new here waiting for AP clearance, start looking for alternative route. WIT doesn’t sound like an effective solution anymore compared to a year ago. If you are given 221g with ds5535 requirement, you are in for a long long ride. I hope that I’m wrong but expect wait time to be at least 8+ months. 

Or be like us and asked for a CV and still waiting lol

I wonder if it even matters anymore what you're asked to give.. they just take forever for no reason

1 hour ago, ShawnK said:

It's frustrating, but the reason for this is very likely the intent behind the DS-5535. In the countries you mentioned, the DS-5535 is probably being applied in a way that's consistent with its original intention - as a security check against individuals with certain flags in their profiles (whether you agree or disagree with the necessity of this additional layer of scrutiny likely comes down to your political views). 

In Canada, it's being used as a bottleneck to ease capacity constraints. The purpose is not to perform legitimate background checks triggered by specific criteria, but rather to punt a certain number of applicants down the road by removing processing timelines. At least this is the prevailing theory.

Edited by Daft_Cat

Is anyone here considering WoM but haven't started the process yet?

I talked to Goldstein today, apparently they're giving 10% discount to both me and the referred person if I refer someone to attend the initial free consultation. And apparently the discount doesn't disappear if one of us ends up not filing.

The bad news is that Goldstein has increased their fee to $6299 starting from January 1, so the discount just brings it back to a bit above what it used to be last year. I'll look at other lawyers too.

17 minutes ago, dmitrych said:

I talked to Goldstein today, apparently they're giving 10% discount to both me and the referred person if I refer someone to attend the initial free consultation. And apparently the discount doesn't disappear if one of us ends up not filing.

The bad news is that Goldstein has increased their fee to $6299 starting from January 1, so the discount just brings it back to a bit above what it used to be last year. I'll look at other lawyers too.

We just filed with Goldstein before the fee change.. hoping we have some success, I figured we had nothing to lose even if the WOMs have had push back recently. Goldstein seems to have a method that works for them . I have a feeling the fee increase is due to the extensions they’ve been facing.. but I will update the timeline as we go. Our interview was August 15, 2023. So it’s been 5 months, and after our 4 month wait inquiry with the consulate they got back to us in 3 weeks with the same generic AP message… seems like we are getting nowhere without intervention.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Or be like us and asked for a CV and still waiting lol

I wonder if it even matters anymore what you're asked to give.. they just take forever for no reason

Even before the DS-5535 issue started Montreal took 8 weeks to clear AP for missing or extra documents. You should be just about done. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, ShawnK said:

https://foia.state.gov/

might check the above web site , search record with MTL, keyword. and get the answers ;)

12 hours ago, ShawnK said:

My understanding of DS-5535 is that all of them go through the same line, regardless of the consulate. Those that cleared sooner, must not have been under the same SAO.

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

19 hours ago, dmitrych said:

What exactly is their method? I'm curious what they said regarding MTD.

Basically, you can respond to a MTD, government responds back...then you wait for the judge, and the judge can take as long as he/she wants. 

19 hours ago, dmitrych said:

On 1/16/2024 at 12:28 PM, APRIL2023 said:

Ya I agree 100%.

Seems now creeping up to 12+ months.

There seems to be no relief.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.