2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, mam521 said:

Ugh...just reading this makes me a bit sick in the pit of my stomach for you.  Extreme vetting and yet, it's sent by e-mail and forgotten about.  Makes you wonder how important it really is but yet, you're stuck in immigration purgatory as a result.  All I can say is I'm sorry and I'm sending timely passage vibes for everyone stuck in this process.  

That’s exactly it! Up to this point all forms and completed paperwork are tracked and barcoded. There’s no official data online that states the exact wait time, just the general 60 days resolution. I feel like I’m stuck at a system that’s intentionally designed to be opaque, while I don’t know how I got flagged the first place. 

Still waiting for the DS5535 from consulate…

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
49 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

I do wonder why they’re so hard on Canadians, it’s baffling.

Montreal is a bit of an enigma as far as consulates go. 

Maybe Canadian immigration is perceived as too easy.  Maybe it's because Canadians are some of the biggest violators in terms of overstay.  It's all a bit bizarre. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

On 4/16/2023 at 6:49 AM, LAMA9 said:

@can_do you can see the timelines for a bunch of us that filed WOMs last year here (see first two tabs):  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oh7cj_1HiWa-JH82xOeRtYb6gJWjU3KcF7ALuyQmV4w/edit?usp=sharing

you can see that the timelines from file to visa in hand differ.  For me personally, it took 95 days from file to case closed.  It generally takes 2 weeks from signing on with a lawyer for them to prepare your WOM and file it with the court.  Hope this helps.  Wish I had filed a lot sooner.  we waited for 7 months in DS-5535.  If I could do it all over again, I would have filed at 90 days.  Good luck to you!

Thank you so much for sharing this.

I just can't rationalize spending another ~$4K just to get a response, but then...

Hi Everyone,

I had my interview this past Thursday. Everything went well, and the officer even told me she intended on approving me and took my passport.  She told me to expect it within 2 weeks.  I received an email today to fill out the DS-5535 and status in CEAC is showing "refused".   

I have seen people denied at interview and then asked to fill out the form, but has anyone been in the situation as me where they have my passport now and was told they were going to approve?

At a loss and feeling super discouraged and confused.  I have a pretty extensive travel history so filling that out for past 15 years seems very daunting.  Any insight welcome.

Amanda

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, ajxl888 said:

Hi Everyone,

I had my interview this past Thursday. Everything went well, and the officer even told me she intended on approving me and took my passport.  She told me to expect it within 2 weeks.  I received an email today to fill out the DS-5535 and status in CEAC is showing "refused".   

I have seen people denied at interview and then asked to fill out the form, but has anyone been in the situation as me where they have my passport now and was told they were going to approve?

At a loss and feeling super discouraged and confused.  I have a pretty extensive travel history so filling that out for past 15 years seems very daunting.  Any insight welcome.

Amanda

Hi Amanda. Welcome to this crappy club. I had the same situation as you happen. My interview was short and seemed to go very well. My interviewing officer said she will recommend me for approval and even told me to enjoy my stay in my fiances state. My passport was kept. Two hours later I was shocked to receive the DS-5535 email.

I'm so sorry you're here 😞 

Edited by P3P

11 minutes ago, P3P said:

Hi Amanda. Welcome to this crappy club. I had the same situation as you happen. My interview was short and seemed to go very well. My interviewing officer said she will recommended me for approval and even told me to enjoy my stay in my fiances state. My passport was kept. Two hours later I was shocked to receive the DS-5535 email.

I'm so sorry you're here 😞 

Hi there, thank you.  I'm sorry you're in the same boat too.  Have you received any updates?

This is really such an awful process.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, ajxl888 said:

Hi there, thank you.  I'm sorry you're in the same boat too.  Have you received any updates?

This is really such an awful process.

I had my interview 13 months ago, not many updates during that time. I've gotten a few updates throughout the past month, so I think I may finally be moving onto the next step! The medical exam is only valid for 6 months, so those of us stuck for 6 months+ have to go through the process of getting an updated medical exam once the consulate requests it.

Also, you can request your passport back for in the meantime if you're wanting to travel.

45 minutes ago, P3P said:

I had my interview 13 months ago, not many updates during that time. I've gotten a few updates throughout the past month, so I think I may finally be moving onto the next step! The medical exam is only valid for 6 months, so those of us stuck for 6 months+ have to go through the process of getting an updated medical exam once the consulate requests it.

Also, you can request your passport back for in the meantime if you're wanting to travel.

Wow - I'm so sorry.  That's super discouraging to hear 😔

If you could share how to request my passport back, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, ajxl888 said:

Wow - I'm so sorry.  That's super discouraging to hear 😔

If you could share how to request my passport back, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Good news is that recently some people have already been asked for medical after only 6ish months. There is hope for sure!

I had used their public inquiry form, which I don't believe exists anymore. You can just send them an email requesting it.

13 minutes ago, ajxl888 said:

Hey Everyone - another question! 

For anyone who was received DS-5535, would the embassy send your passport back proactively?  Has this happened to anyone?  Or would you have to request for them to send it back?

Thanks!
Amanda

Montreal either keeps or returns your passport at interview, and applicants have had to request for them back when necessary. Some embassies though will keep your passport at interview, perhaps the CO meant to issue, but it’s later mailed back with a 221g slip. 

6 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

Montreal either keeps or returns your passport at interview, and applicants have had to request for them back when necessary. Some embassies though will keep your passport at interview, perhaps the CO meant to issue, but it’s later mailed back with a 221g slip. 

Got it.  Yeah, they kept mine but got DS-5535'd yesterday.  I just got an email though from them saying my passport is being sent back along with the Purolator tracking number.  So just a little confused.

On 4/17/2023 at 9:15 AM, Mmk2112 said:

No they don't ask such DS 5535 questions. However they will ask about returning dates and if you have return ticket, show them. or just your Canadian employment details or lease or property info. Even if you go to secondary (which is random) you will be cleared as you're legally good to visit USA for upto 6 months.

Has anyone ever been denied to go after they received the DS5535? I have never had any issues prior to the interview and I traveled quite often but always returned well in advance before the 6 months date. 

Also, does anyone know if they can specifically see if you’ve received the form and it currently says refused? Just curious as I don’t want to divulge unnecessary information and just want to answer questions when asked. 

thanks all! 

Just now, ajxl888 said:

Got it.  Yeah, they kept mine but got DS-5535'd yesterday.  I just got an email though from them saying my passport is being sent back along with the Purolator tracking number.  So just a little confused.

Ah, then yeah looks like you’ll have a 221g slip with your passport.

Sometimes the CO recommends approval at interview but a supervisor overrides it later upon review.

Wish you luck! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.