2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/9/2023 at 1:55 PM, ak47 said:

Recent applicants who had interview are receiving the DS5535 with passports in their 221g. The DS5535 might be quick check for some applicants depending on where they have resided in last 15 years or so.

Will you be sending your passport with DS5535 ?

Not sure if I agree, most of my husband's last 15 years were in the same town in Canada at the same address until 2021, in 2021 he moved twice but has held a constant address again since 2021. And we been in AP since 10 months so I don't think this is necessarily the case that it can be quick for people depending on where they have resided in the last 15 years. ice-qube I think was born and raised in Canada, he was in AP I think for over a year and up until a few months ago it seemed like you almost needed a WOM to get out of the rut. However, I do feel that's starting to change because there have been some more recent APs that have cleared quicker without WOMs. It's all very random and you can't really come up with a trend tbh.

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Timeline
2 hours ago, PZibran325 said:

Not sure if I agree, most of my husband's last 15 years were in the same town in Canada at the same address until 2021, in 2021 he moved twice but has held a constant address again since 2021. And we been in AP since 10 months so I don't think this is necessarily the case that it can be quick for people depending on where they have resided in the last 15 years. ice-qube I think was born and raised in Canada, he was in AP I think for over a year and up until a few months ago it seemed like you almost needed a WOM to get out of the rut. However, I do feel that's starting to change because there have been some more recent APs that have cleared quicker without WOMs. It's all very random and you can't really come up with a trend tbh.

Its an observation based on the information from other sources(Fb groups). It is obviously case by case basis.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

@PanFriedTofu Do you have any news? Did you receive the DS-5535?

The embassy responded last week with a canned response. I haven't received any other email for DS-5535 or otherwise. Not really sure what to make of it 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, PanFriedTofu said:

The embassy responded last week with a canned response. I haven't received any other email for DS-5535 or otherwise. Not really sure what to make of it 🤷‍♂️

So weird!

Maybe it is time to ask your spouse to get a congress person involved, at least to inquire through another channel. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

So weird!

Maybe it is time to ask your spouse to get a congress person involved, at least to inquire through another channel. 

I know! 

We spoke to a lawyer and discussed all the details and they were also perplexed. Their only thought was maybe a name hit and to wait until 6-8 weeks have passed so that the embassy does the processing. 🤞

18 minutes ago, PanFriedTofu said:

I know! 

We spoke to a lawyer and discussed all the details and they were also perplexed. Their only thought was maybe a name hit and to wait until 6-8 weeks have passed so that the embassy does the processing. 🤞

Yeah, fingers crossed all is solved soon!

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Timeline

Hi all, just an update on our application. I had my visa interview on February 1st, 2023 and received a 221(g) refusal letter. I had to email a few weeks later to inquire what info I would need, and I ended up submitting all required info on March 2nd, 2023.

Today, I wrote to Montreal at their embassy email (montreal-iv-dv@state.gov) to inquire whether my application was received. Beyond asking Montreal through email, is there any other way for us to keep informed of where our application currently stands? I logged into the CEAC website but the only update really was they stated our application was at the Montreal embassy.

Will continue to keep everyone posted and best of luck to everyone on a speedy, successful application!

1 hour ago, Canucklehead said:

Hi all, just an update on our application. I had my visa interview on February 1st, 2023 and received a 221(g) refusal letter. I had to email a few weeks later to inquire what info I would need, and I ended up submitting all required info on March 2nd, 2023.

Today, I wrote to Montreal at their embassy email (montreal-iv-dv@state.gov) to inquire whether my application was received. Beyond asking Montreal through email, is there any other way for us to keep informed of where our application currently stands? I logged into the CEAC website but the only update really was they stated our application was at the Montreal embassy.

Will continue to keep everyone posted and best of luck to everyone on a speedy, successful application!

Do you mean you checked ceac.state.gov? Your status should currently be “Refused,” that’s the only way to track your case

I'm in this hell too, interview last week , all going well then handed back passport and refusal asking for the DS5535 form. I have no shady/criminal history or odd travel, just US Canada Mexico. What I do have is the most common male Muslim name and I think that's what did it. 

I don't work in any TAL occupations. I've been very very depressed/gutted all week. Feels like getting punched in the gut. Like you did something wrong. The consulate was full of terrified and stressed-out people. 

This was a huge fear of mine and it happened.

One thing the CO did say was this is not a refusal and these forms are processed faster now than they were in the past. However, on CEAC I see a big fat refused, ouch.

Timeline
3 hours ago, throwitaway said:

Do you mean you checked ceac.state.gov? Your status should currently be “Refused,” that’s the only way to track your case

So as far as I can see (unless I'm not looking in right spot), I do not see the word 'Status' anywhere on my CEAC profile. I do see:

YOUR CASE IS CURRENTLY AT: MONTREAL

Is this the right area to be looking (in the top right of the main page)?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.