2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/19/2022 at 3:35 PM, Rosinasaur said:

I got tracking information yesterday saying my visa is on its way!

October 4, 2021: Interview. Informed we would get questions by email.
October 10th, 2021: DS5535 Submitted

December 2021 - May 2022: Multiple emails exchanged with consulate saying we were still in administrative processing

March 2022: Congresswoman's office give us a lot of false information and then ghosts us a lot. We also mailed our senator and they never got back to us.

June 2022: Started Lawsuit Process with Goldstein

July 14, 2022: Lawsuit filed

Aug 4, 2022: Lawsuit served

Sept 19, 2022: Motion filed to dismiss lawsuit

Early October: Goldstein submitted counterargument

November 16, 2022: CEAC updated to Approved
Nov 18, 2022: CEAC now Issued, tracking received

I would not really recommend filing with Goldstein. We never spoke directly with a lawyer. Our questions were mostly ignored by email or answered incorrectly ("we don't know" would have been a better and acceptable answer tbh). We had to fill in many forms stating what hardship we've been through which took ages. 

I'm glad we're almost at the other side. I wish the best of luck to all of you!

Congrats!! BTW did they email you a tracking number, like a separate email after your status said issued? I haven't received a tracking number when they issued my visa 😕 I keep checking but there's nothing. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, dennisv said:

@Waitinghere I got my DS5535 email like 3-4 hours after my interview, while I was sitting at the airport thinking. I sent it back within 48 hours.

I haven't tried crossing while on AP, but I heard mixed info regarding outcomes.

You can visit the USA as much as you want as a tourist during AP, to answer @dennisv and @Waitinghere, you just can't wait in the USA... you have to abide by normal tourism visit rules and only stay a maximum of 6 months. I have visited twice for a month or longer at a time since I got the DS-5535 in February.

2 hours ago, candyg said:

Congrats!! BTW did they email you a tracking number, like a separate email after your status said issued? I haven't received a tracking number when they issued my visa 😕 I keep checking but there's nothing. 

The tracking will come from from usvisa-info and it will be titled “U.S. DoS Visa system return travel document shipment notice.”

You’ll only get it once it’s shipped, which they seem to do usually Thurs and Fri. 

19 hours ago, Waitinghere said:

Hello everyone,

I was looking for some help here. I had my interview in October and had my passport taken, with officer giving me instructions on what to expect after having visa approved. Later that day I was phoned by embassy informing me that I am to undergo administrative processing with no further requests made. Since then I have been placed under this status, with no passport and no updates to be given. I am now wondering if anyone else had a similar situation, also, can I request to have my passport back and is it a possibility to try to cross the border again with a  while waiting in AP.

sorry for the many questions, just a confused person here. It definitely has been a long frustrating journey…

No 5535 is a good thing, you’ll probably resolve in 60-90 days. 

Timeline

My case date was updated today. But I think this is an inquiry update my congressperson sent on Friday. 
let’s see if this makes them review case and take next steps or if they send a generic response to congressperson. 

really hoping for a thanksgiving miracle here! Would be so nice to get an issued before Thursday 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Hey everyone, I applied for a spousal immigrant visa around a year ago. Had my interview on October 14th and the offer said my visa was approved and that I would receive my passport back in under 10 days. 3 hours later, I receive an email saying im in administrative processing and that I have to fill out the DS535 form. I've filled it out and submitted it on October 17th. I checked the status of my visa and it says refused and case updated on October 31st.

They still have my passport and I have work trips to do next month. What do I? What happens if I ask them back for my passport? anyone knows how to do it and how long it takes to get it back?

Ive read so many horrifying stories in this thread and part 1, I'm so anxious. Obviously we know if someone finds this group then it's because theyre going through this, but Im so concerned. Anyone knows of people in AP and that actually heard back in 2 months and under like they say it usually takes? 

Thanks!

I received an email from the consulate that they're waiting for my police certificate (even though I wasn't informed during my interview that my police certificate was wrong nor did they emailed me to tell me shortly after the interview that I had the wrong police certificate). I'm relieved that's the only thing I'm deficient in. I can kick myself since I probably would've been approved by now.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Tikitch said:

Hey everyone, I applied for a spousal immigrant visa around a year ago. Had my interview on October 14th and the offer said my visa was approved and that I would receive my passport back in under 10 days. 3 hours later, I receive an email saying im in administrative processing and that I have to fill out the DS535 form. I've filled it out and submitted it on October 17th. I checked the status of my visa and it says refused and case updated on October 31st.

They still have my passport and I have work trips to do next month. What do I? What happens if I ask them back for my passport? anyone knows how to do it and how long it takes to get it back?

Ive read so many horrifying stories in this thread and part 1, I'm so anxious. Obviously we know if someone finds this group then it's because theyre going through this, but Im so concerned. Anyone knows of people in AP and that actually heard back in 2 months and under like they say it usually takes? 

Thanks!

5535 can take anywhere from 60 days to god knows how long. some have been in it for 13+ months already. my mom was in it for 12 months and we are still waiting for visa as they asked for more information.

you can email them and ask for passport back. the email was given a few pages back. they will send the passport back and once they are done with 5535, they will ask for your passport back

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

1 minute ago, BatmanFlow said:

5535 can take anywhere from 60 days to god knows how long. some have been in it for 13+ months already. my mom was in it for 12 months and we are still waiting for visa as they asked for more information.

you can email them and ask for passport back. the email was given a few pages back. they will send the passport back and once they are done with 5535, they will ask for your passport back

My immigration lawyer advised me to not ask for my passport back. Does it delay the process to ask for it back? My lawyer seems to be convinced it will take up to 2months max, but after reading messages on the thread I'm for sure not I'm as optimistic. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Tikitch said:

My immigration lawyer advised me to not ask for my passport back. Does it delay the process to ask for it back? My lawyer seems to be convinced it will take up to 2months max, but after reading messages on the thread I'm for sure not I'm as optimistic. 

i am pretty sure your lawyer has zero idea how long this will take. every case is unique and lawyers cant really change that timeline unless you file a WOM and even then the government can ask for extensions, motion to dismiss, etc.

pretty sure asking for passport also has zero bearing on delays. we have people who have asked for passport back and got their cases processed before people who didnt ask their to be returned.

this process is pretty "your mileage may vary". Some are done within 60 days or less, and some cant see an end to this madness

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

1 minute ago, BatmanFlow said:

i am pretty sure your lawyer has zero idea how long this will take. every case is unique and lawyers cant really change that timeline unless you file a WOM and even then the government can ask for extensions, motion to dismiss, etc.

pretty sure asking for passport also has zero bearing on delays. we have people who have asked for passport back and got their cases processed before people who didnt ask their to be returned.

this process is pretty "your mileage may vary". Some are done within 60 days or less, and some cant see an end to this madness

I really appreciate your answers! So happy I found this thread! Thank you and good luck to everyone :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/21/2022 at 4:16 PM, candyg said:

I got an email with the subject line "U.S. DoS Visa system return travel document shipment notice" from donotreply@usvisa-info.com . In the body of the email, it had the Purolator tracking number. I did select to have it delivered to my home address.

As far as I'm aware, CEAC switched to Issued on the same day I got that email.

8 hours ago, Tikitch said:

No seasoned immigration lawyer in the field right now would ever say that Montreal of all places would take two months max, that’s just not the reputation it has. They don’t need your physical passport at all to background check you, it’s just for the printing, so I don’t see how it could delay your visa in any meaningful way (aside from the several days it will take to return it, print, and send it back to you). 

Edited by throwitaway

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.