2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, David1320 said:

I am very new here.  Your guidance would greatly appreciated. We have filed CR1/IR1 visa.

I have read so many DS 5535 story here and got very nervous, feels like it is very common now. I have been DQ Sep 2nd and expecting my interview would be soon in January or Early February 2023.

I am worried about couple of things, I stayed around 2 to 3 months with my wife recently because we have not spent time together. Does that will be reason for DS-5535 ?

What are the proof other than AOS and civil documents should i have to grab for visa ? 

Employment letter , pay stubs and T4s ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, 

Staying 2-3 months is not a reason.

There cna be different reasons for DS-5535. Name hits, education background, countries visited etc. I stayed for around 2 months in total with my wife in the US this year as well but faced no issues.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, dennisv said:

So got a DS-5535 at the lovely interview last week. How does one remember 15 years of travel history ?? 

I did a few things

1. Checked my email for train/bus/plane tickets

2. Used https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home to find my travel history to the states.

3. Checked stamps on my passports

4. Asked people who travelled with me

10 minutes ago, Rosinasaur said:

I did a few things

1. Checked my email for train/bus/plane tickets

2. Used https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home to find my travel history to the states.

3. Checked stamps on my passports

4. Asked people who travelled with me

I hear ya.. Thanks for the tips. It was the trips not to the US that caused me the most headache but yeah crazy exercise nonetheless. 

Did you find it interesting regarding the 5 yr phone, email and social media?

Timeline
30 minutes ago, dennisv said:

I hear ya.. Thanks for the tips. It was the trips not to the US that caused me the most headache but yeah crazy exercise nonetheless. 

sorry about your DS 5535

it was funny when they asked my 63 year old mom for her social media lol. Umm i barely taught her how to use facetime to call me lol

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

16 hours ago, dennisv said:

The whole process is funny and ridiculous for families waiting to reunite.

30 minutes ago, Tiabeanie said:

I apologize if this is a stupid question but if there is a change to your application status do you get an email from CEAC? Or do you just go on CEAC website to check for any changes?

No email, just a status change on CEAC.. Mine went to "Refused" on the day of the interview. I replied back to the consulate for the AP 2 days later, and today It looks like someone viewed my filed but no status changed.

4 minutes ago, dennisv said:

No email, just a status change on CEAC.. Mine went to "Refused" on the day of the interview. I replied back to the consulate for the AP 2 days later, and today It looks like someone viewed my filed but no status changed.

Oh okay I don't know why I thought I'd get an email regarding with my application. I'm just bummed out getting the 221g form, I didn't think I would be waiting more than 2 weeks but from what I've read in this thread it seems like I'll be waiting a minimum of 4-6 weeks 😔.

31 minutes ago, Tiabeanie said:

Oh okay I don't know why I thought I'd get an email regarding with my application. I'm just bummed out getting the 221g form, I didn't think I would be waiting more than 2 weeks but from what I've read in this thread it seems like I'll be waiting a minimum of 4-6 weeks 😔.

I hear ya. I'm only a week in, and happy I got the 221g back within 48 hours. However, you know how hard it was to finish the 15 year of travel history.. "Headbang" Good Luck!

Hi, I sent my passport along with some documents to the consulate and received an email confirming the receipt of the documents. After that the date of the case last update on my CEAC visa status has not changed (the last update is on 27th September which I believe is due to my updated medical exam), is this normal? Shouldn't it be updated after receiving the documents? What does it mean? Have they not checked my file and documents yet?

4 minutes ago, nyctor said:

Hey guys! I've been silent for awhile, but here's my timeline to share ya'll! Hope it helps. 

Interview: Dec. 16, 2021 (IR1 visa)

Got DS5535 at the interview and sent my information back on the same day. 

Status Updates:

(I had more updates between January and June, but I did not keep a record of them.)

Jul. 15, 2022

Aug. 30, 2022

Sept. 19, 2022

Sept. 22, 2022

Sept. 23, 2022

Sept. 27, 2022

Received an email from Montreal to send additional documents on Sept. 28, 2022

I had to redo my medical which was on Oct. 13, 2022. 

More updates on:

Oct. 5, 2022

Oct. 25, 2022

Finally today Nov. 16, 2022 it changed to ISSUED! 

We thought about filing WOM and had a consultation with one of the lawyers suggested here. We decided not to after the consultation. If you have any questions for me, I am happy to answer! 

Here's my question if any of you can answer:

Once I receive my passport, can I cross the border and come back to Canada to take care of things here? Or is it a single entry visa that I can cross only once?

Thanks! 

Oh wow!!! What a wild timeline!

Visa is a multiple entry but now you need to watch the clock on dates outside US .. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, nyctor said:

Hey guys! I've been silent for awhile, but here's my timeline to share ya'll! Hope it helps. 

Interview: Dec. 16, 2021 (IR1 visa)

Got DS5535 at the interview and sent my information back on the same day. 

Status Updates:

(I had more updates between January and June, but I did not keep a record of them.)

Jul. 15, 2022

Aug. 30, 2022

Sept. 19, 2022

Sept. 22, 2022

Sept. 23, 2022

Sept. 27, 2022

Received an email from Montreal to send additional documents on Sept. 28, 2022

I had to redo my medical which was on Oct. 13, 2022. 

More updates on:

Oct. 5, 2022

Oct. 25, 2022

Finally today Nov. 16, 2022 it changed to ISSUED! 

We thought about filing WOM and had a consultation with one of the lawyers suggested here. We decided not to after the consultation. If you have any questions for me, I am happy to answer! 

Here's my question if any of you can answer:

Once I receive my passport, can I cross the border and come back to Canada to take care of things here? Or is it a single entry visa that I can cross only once?

Thanks! 

Congratulations!! 

From my understanding you are able to enter the US to activate the green card and to make sure you're not late with entering since it is dependent on the date on your medical. But you are able to handle your errands and prepare for your move to America. All the best!

13 hours ago, candyg said:

Congratulations!! 

From my understanding you are able to enter the US to activate the green card and to make sure you're not late with entering since it is dependent on the date on your medical. But you are able to handle your errands and prepare for your move to America. All the best!

@candyg @dennisv

Thank you! I'll definitely keep an eye on the dates. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.