12 posts in this topic

My daughter acquired  US citizenship through me before 18of age, and a US passport was issued for her , the question is : do I have to apply for certificate of naturalization for her or not . She already has a passport and a passport card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you already have a U.S. passport, you generally don't need to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. However, some people prefer to have a certificate as a form of back-up documentation. The Certificate of Citizenship does not expire. Therefore, it may give some citizens more reassurance than a U.S. passport

43 minutes ago, Disteny said:

do I have to apply for certificate of naturalization for her or not . She already has a passport and a passport card.

I think you mean the certificate of citizenship (CoC).  The certificate of naturalization is obtained via the N-400, not the N-600 process.  Applying for CoC via N-600 is optional.

It doesn't hurt to get Certificate of Citizenship. I wouldn't do it because I am cheap. It's very expensive!

Edited by discoverusa

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
19 hours ago, Disteny said:

My daughter acquired  US citizenship through me before 18of age, and a US passport was issued for her , the question is : do I have to apply for certificate of naturalization for her or not . She already has a passport and a passport card.

If you don’t want to file N-600 to get her a Certificate of Citizenship, do her a favor and preserve all the evidence that was used to apply for her passport:

* if applicable her green card and/or passport that has the stamped immigration visa.  If not applicable your evidence of physical presence

* if applicable your marriage certificate 

* if applicable evidence she was in your legal and physical custody 

* your USA Birth certificate, CRBA, naturalization certificate, or certificate of citizenship 

Otherwise down the road she might need a certificate of citizenship. Producing the evidence I’ve listed decades after she turns she 18 or after you have passed away is challenging. 

Increasingly, more bureaucracies are no longer satisfied with a U.S. passport or passport card as evidence of U.S. citizenship.  Examples I’ve see include:

* USCIS if your daughter wants to petition a relative to immigrate. Varies by case and IO

* federal civil service for certain roles 

* military  service for certain roles

* registering to vote online in the state of Tennessee

* California state DMV when electronic verification of citizenship does not work

* security clearances for certain work under contract to the federal government 

* SSA when issuing an SSN (unlikely to apply to your daughter if she got an SSN before age 18 … there is a secret policy that has stymied citizens born abroad who learn as adults that they are USA citizens) 

* passport agency if she loses both her passport and passport card and doesn’t want to pay the file search fee

10 years ago you never heard of most of the above. Not not a year goes by when I find another edge case.  Stricter interpretations of the PATRIOT and REAL ID laws are resulting in  citizens who don’t have a USA birth certificate, CRBA, certificate of naturalization, or certificate of citizenship to be treated as second class citizens.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Speaking from a personal experience here:

My sister was adopted and got her US citizenship when my step-father got his citizenship and my mother got het green card. 
My step-father has passed away and my mother had gotten her citizenship, since,

So, now mom is trying to settle up all affairs here before moving back to her home country to retire and one of the thing was to make sure my sister was taken care of. She then found out that my sister’s passport had expired and lost her passport before she turned 21 last year. In December, my sister applied for a renewal so she could go to Indonesia with her, but for whatever reason, the application was returned and she was asked to supply proof of citizenship. Now we are all scrambling to get her N600 filed. 

Take this story with a grain of salt. 

Edited by JourneyFromA2

23 hours ago, Chancy said:

I think you mean the certificate of citizenship (CoC).  The certificate of naturalization is obtained via the N-400, not the N-600 process.  Applying for CoC via N-600 is optional.

Yes I meant certificate of citizenship

4 hours ago, JourneyFromA2 said:

In December, my sister applied for a renewal so she could go to Indonesia with her, but for whatever reason, the application was returned and she was asked to supply proof of citizenship. Now we are all scrambling to get her N600 filed.

I do not recommend applying for N-600 if she cannot get a passport.  N-600 is a one-time deal.  If she gets denied, she will not be able to apply again.  Re-apply for a passport first, submitting other proof of citizenship.

23 hours ago, discoverusa said:

It doesn't hurt to get Certificate of Citizenship. I wouldn't do it because I am cheap. It's very expensive!

yeah , but it hurts my wallet

Just now, Chancy said:

I do not recommend applying for N-600 if she cannot get a passport.  N-600 is a one-time deal.  If she gets denied, she will not be able to apply again.  Re-apply for a passport first, submitting other proof of citizenship.

She already has a passport and a passport card

4 hours ago, JourneyFromA2 said:

Speaking from a personal experience here:

My sister was adopted and got her US citizenship when my step-father got his citizenship and my mother got het green card. 
My step-father has passed away and my mother had gotten her citizenship, since,

So, now mom is trying to settle up all affairs here before moving back to her home country to retire and one of the thing was to make sure my sister was taken care of. She then found out that my sister’s passport had expired and lost her passport before she turned 21 last year. In December, my sister applied for a renewal so she could go to Indonesia with her, but for whatever reason, the application was returned and she was asked to supply proof of citizenship. Now we are all scrambling to get her N600 filed. 

Take this story with a grain of salt. 

Oh man, then I have to apply for N-600 for her and pay the fees $1170 , we are not sure what is gonna happen in the future.

1 minute ago, Disteny said:

She already has a passport and a passport card

That's good.  My comment was referring to the post from JourneyFromA2 about applying for N-600 after a failed passport renewal.  Not a good idea.

5 hours ago, Mike E said:

If you don’t want to file N-600 to get her a Certificate of Citizenship, do her a favor and preserve all the evidence that was used to apply for her passport:

* if applicable her green card and/or passport that has the stamped immigration visa.  If not applicable your evidence of physical presence

* if applicable your marriage certificate 

* if applicable evidence she was in your legal and physical custody 

* your USA Birth certificate, CRBA, naturalization certificate, or certificate of citizenship 

Otherwise down the road she might need a certificate of citizenship. Producing the evidence I’ve listed decades after she turns she 18 or after you have passed away is challenging. 

Increasingly, more bureaucracies are no longer satisfied with a U.S. passport or passport card as evidence of U.S. citizenship.  Examples I’ve see include:

* USCIS if your daughter wants to petition a relative to immigrate. Varies by case and IO

* federal civil service for certain roles 

* military  service for certain roles

* registering to vote online in the state of Tennessee

* California state DMV when electronic verification of citizenship does not work

* security clearances for certain work under contract to the federal government 

* SSA when issuing an SSN (unlikely to apply to your daughter if she got an SSN before age 18 … there is a secret policy that has stymied citizens born abroad who learn as adults that they are USA citizens) 

* passport agency if she loses both her passport and passport card and doesn’t want to pay the file search fee

10 years ago you never heard of most of the above. Not not a year goes by when I find another edge case.  Stricter interpretations of the PATRIOT and REAL ID laws are resulting in  citizens who don’t have a USA birth certificate, CRBA, certificate of naturalization, or certificate of citizenship to be treated as second class citizens.  

wow , so the majority recommend certificate of citizenship , although the passport is a strong proof of citizenship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.