prospectivelife

Would our ages and the time we've been in a relationship affect the K1 process?

5 posts in this topic

I met my American boyfriend in this year's February. We met up in person for the first time in June (I visited him in the US on an ESTA), and both of us felt empty and depressed after I had to fly back home. It was a fairly short visit, but we photographed our activities and us together. While daily long sessions of video-calling helps, it doesn't compare to the happiness we had when we were together. Also, since we're a same sex couple, we've gotten concerned about Justice Clarence Thomas' suggestion to challenge same sex marriages. In short, we feel stuck and afraid. We want to be together really badly, but my country doesn't recognize same sex marriages. We plan on traveling to countries together to alleviate the lack of physical contact (and to take pictures of us doing things, but that's secondary). If we were to start the K1 process now, should we be worried about the scrutiny we may face because of how young we are or for some other reason? He is 19 and I am 21. 

Also, since he is young, we will need to use his mother as a co-sponsor. She's agreed to help us and we get along perfectly. Would having a co-sponsor indicate anything negative?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, prospectivelife said:

I met my American boyfriend in this year's February. We met up in person for the first time in June (I visited him in the US on an ESTA), and both of us felt empty and depressed after I had to fly back home. It was a fairly short visit, but we photographed our activities and us together. While daily long sessions of video-calling helps, it doesn't compare to the happiness we had when we were together. Also, since we're a same sex couple, we've gotten concerned about Justice Clarence Thomas' suggestion to challenge same sex marriages. In short, we feel stuck and afraid. We want to be together really badly, but my country doesn't recognize same sex marriages. We plan on traveling to countries together to alleviate the lack of physical contact (and to take pictures of us doing things, but that's secondary). If we were to start the K1 process now, should we be worried about the scrutiny we may face because of how young we are or for some other reason? He is 19 and I am 21. 

Also, since he is young, we will need to use his mother as a co-sponsor. She's agreed to help us and we get along perfectly. Would having a co-sponsor indicate anything negative?

Same-sex relationship is not an issue - I do understand your concern, but no point in worrying about what may or may not happen in the nebulous future. 

Your ages are not an issue in the eyes of immigration. Of course, on a personal level you both need to take the commitment of marriage seriously and make sure this is what you both want, but you are close in age and being young will not affect your ability to go through the K1 process. 

Co-sponsor has no negative affect whatsoever as long as the sponsor meets/exceeds the income requirements. 

Edit: What is your home country? 

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

8 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

Same-sex relationship is not an issue - I do understand your concern, but no point in worrying about what may or may not happen in the nebulous future. 

Your ages are not an issue in the eyes of immigration. Of course, on a personal level you both need to take the commitment of marriage seriously and make sure this is what you both want, but you are close in age and being young will not affect your ability to go through the K1 process. 

Co-sponsor has no negative affect whatsoever as long as the sponsor meets/exceeds the income requirements. 

Edit: What is your home country? 

Thank you for the reassurance

I'm from a Baltic nation. Does that change anything?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, prospectivelife said:

Thank you for the reassurance

I'm from a Baltic nation. Does that change anything?

I don't think so, but I don't know enough about consulates there to give you specific info. If you go to the portal section at the top of the page you can search for your country, such as Estonia or Latvia, to get more specific info.

Additionally, the regional forum may be helpful to you as well: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/95-europe-amp-eurasia-except-the-uk-and-russia/

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You are young and have made a fast decision to make this a permanent relaitonship (February to June is fast)

that may influence the CO at interview so i would try to spend some more quality time together to assure the CO the relationship is real and stable

Remember on a K1 he can't work till he goes thru the AOS process and this will wear on a young person / sitting at home with nothing to do for months????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.