Biabarida

Do kids Residency affect mother's?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello. My wife is a Spanish National. I am US. I am planning on declaring dual residency for tax purposes. My wife and kids are visiting the states this summer for 8 weeks. 

I signed up myself and the kids for Medicaid. Now I'm worried that customs will say that Medicaid is a sign of intemt to immigrate on my wife's part. Is there any sense to my worry?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, Biabarida said:

Hello. My wife is a Spanish National. I am US. I am planning on declaring dual residency for tax purposes. My wife and kids are visiting the states this summer for 8 weeks. 

I signed up myself and the kids for Medicaid. Now I'm worried that customs will say that Medicaid is a sign of intemt to immigrate on my wife's part. Is there any sense to my worry?

Could be, yes.  Worse, signing up for Medicaid (a means tested benefit) is likely to trigger a public charge issue related to y our financial sponsorship.  If you qualify to put your family on Medicaid....AND...actually DO IT, you've basically declared your family to be likely public charges.

Does your wife intend to immigrate to the USA,  EVER?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thank you for your respectful response. I see now I made a mistake signing them up for Medicaid. I should have gotten them a private insurance.

She comes with them in a few days so I think i will buy the private insurance and try to cancel the Medicaid.... that way she can present it to the border authorities.  

Do you have any suggestions for a next move?

We aren't planning on immigrating to the US. We would like to just spend a few months a year in the states so my kids can meet and spend time w my family. And I work here whole they stay w family. 

Edited by Biabarida

Timeline

Thanks.  I didn't sign my wife up. The kids are us citizens. I'm just worried about how it will look to a border guard. But I also want my son to have access to quality healthcare.... that's why I did it but now I see that it creates a bad impression for the border guard. She has a long history of legally entering and leaving the US. We don't want to screw that up. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
6 hours ago, Biabarida said:

Thanks.  I didn't sign my wife up. The kids are us citizens. I'm just worried about how it will look to a border guard. But I also want my son to have access to quality healthcare.... that's why I did it but now I see that it creates a bad impression for the border guard. She has a long history of legally entering and leaving the US. We don't want to screw that up. 

Medicaid is a means tested benefit, if your family ever intends to immigrate to the U.S. this will be a public charge issue when the time comes to move here.

6 hours ago, Biabarida said:

I also want my son to have access to quality healthcare....

Quality healthcare in this country comes at a huge cost.

Filed: Timeline

As US citizens, the children qualify for Medicaid and any other benefit available for US citizens.  As long as you didn't sign up your wife, there really shouldn't be a problem.  And, it is unlikely that the immigration at the Port of Entry will even ask to see proof of health insurance coverage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.