Mobius1

I-751 / Divorce circus show

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Boiler said:

No 1 is interesteting and a comment about Lawyers, well some Lawyers, EB1 for a guy who sells stuff on Etsy?

Case #1:  What?????  That first case is crazy!!!  An ETSY seller comes into the US via a B2, then files an I-485, EB1 case?????  Wow!!! 

Case #2:  Great questions and analysis by Jim Hacking.....

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OK I have now watched the show and have no issue with what Hacking said. He obviously is not active in day to day immigration situations, he has his speciality areas and often annoys me with some stuff he says where he clearly does not know. But his wife it sounds like has handled multiple variants of this issue. 

He did not address the issue about not Naturalising but my thought process is that if I was reviewing a case where RoC had been approved and a Divorce was underway or finalised and there had been no Divorce Waiver I would be going #######. 

There are certainly situations where a LPR should not seek to naturalise, criminal issues for example, but what I do not understand is this sort of situation is avoidable, you can faff around with the I 751 until the Divorce is finalised and they are pretty much always approved.

Now the whole concept of the I 751 strikes me as being stupid but that is another discussion.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
3 hours ago, Boiler said:

But his wife it sounds like has handled multiple variants of this issue. 

I’m a huge fan of the show and always have my popcorn ready. Amani (his wife) handles mostly i751s and seems to be pretty good at them. She has been on the show a handful times.

I agree with @Crazy Cat, the first case is crazy. I watched the show yesterday but was working and did not fully pay attention other than case 2, which is obviously OP. But case 1, a craftsman coming on a B1/B2, then applying for EB1 on the basis of exceptional ability…. Men, it gives me chills to think how greedy some attorneys can be. 
As for case #2, I’m also impressed by the analysis he did, and if you listen to what he says at the beginning, he says something along the lines of notifying USCIS even though the divorce decree was not issued, which is what I told OP prior to watching the show. Side comment: I’m proud of me!!!😂😂😂

I think Hacking did not mention N400 that much because he knows they have to figure out if there’s a way to it before hand

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

33 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

I’m a huge fan of the show and always have my popcorn ready. Amani (his wife) handles mostly i751s and seems to be pretty good at them.

I am going to consult Amani and see what her though process is to handle this. I have no doubt she is among the best of lawyers available. Most others are there just to rake in the fees even if clients case goes to hell.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Mobius1 said:

I am going to consult Amani and see what her though process is to handle this. I have no doubt she is among the best of lawyers available. Most others are there just to rake in the fees even if clients case goes to hell.

Exactly, there are so many greedy lawyers that would feed you Bs just to get your money. From what I’ve seen, Amani is pretty “aggressive” with i751s

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mobius1 said:

I am going to consult Amani

I think that is a very wise choice.  Good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Do let us know what she says. This might be useful for someone in the same situation.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Amani is pretty aggressive 

my impression is she wears the trousers

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 6/17/2022 at 1:52 PM, Mobius1 said:

According to Hacking, file a new I-751 solo even though I have the previous one approved. This is so weird, feels like a bad dream...

That YouTube advice is so off track and absolutely not necessary or prudent . @mindthegap can single handily cite enough relevant law to debunk it. 

You really have NOTHING to fear in going into the interview, no matter what questions you get asked about your marriage and it’s demise. You married in “ good faith “ and were approved based on the “ mountain “ of bonafides specific to the 2 year period between becoming LPR and the Joint Filing of the I-751. 

You have nothing to hide , did nothing wrong and can simply answer truthfully. Grilling may just mean a question about the date of separation ( it’s in your divorce  filing papers) but not on the Judgment itself…They simply won’t allege fraud in your case cause it was so well done that it cleared without an interview. 

All that early “ confusing lawyer advice you got re waiver” and even most recent “ refile now” advice , will actually work in your favor, the process itself/ extraordinary delay  is neither clear nor easily understood.

At the time of APPROVAL, you were still legally married , divorce proceedings not withstanding and you understood your obligation/ intention  was notify USCIS once you had obtained the final decree. You would be fine on your own , but always a good idea to take your attorney with you.

17 minutes ago, Family said:

That YouTube advice is so off track and absolutely not necessary or prudent . @mindthegap can single handily cite enough relevant law to debunk it. 

You really have NOTHING to fear in going into the interview, no matter what questions you get asked about your marriage and it’s demise. You married in “ good faith “ and were approved based on the “ mountain “ of bonafides specific to the 2 year period between becoming LPR and the Joint Filing of the I-751. 

You have nothing to hide , did nothing wrong and can simply answer truthfully. Grilling may just mean a question about the date of separation ( it’s in your divorce  filing papers) but not on the Judgment itself…They simply won’t allege fraud in your case cause it was so well done that it cleared without an interview. 

All that early “ confusing lawyer advice you got re waiver” and even most recent “ refile now” advice , will actually work in your favor, the process itself/ extraordinary delay  is neither clear nor easily understood.

At the time of APPROVAL, you were still legally married , divorce proceedings not withstanding and you understood your obligation/ intention  was notify USCIS once you had obtained the final decree. You would be fine on your own , but always a good idea to take your attorney with you.

Thanks for your input. I have yet to see a law in writing that says we are supposed to inform them of divorce filing or separation even. Like how there is one for address change.

Even if they feel it was a material fact not informed, outcome wouldn’t have changed.

If I do plan to do n400, u bet that lawyer who is so confident even now will be in the seat next to mine.

This is uscis we talking about, they just need any way to screw with people while raking their cash in.

Well, this old policy  memo from 2009 refers to Service Centers or Officers that may “ encounter “ information of separation or divorce proceedings that are NOT finalized during the processing of a jointly filed I-751.

It also states that Joint Filing is not waived for those separated or in divorce proceedings that are not finalized…as an example of the confusion surrounding the divorce waiver timing . 

But I must confess, for all its challenges, our immigration process is more transparent than most other parts of the world. 
I am happy for your N-400! 

Oops https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/memos/i-751_Filed_ Prior_Termination_3apr09.pdf

10 minutes ago, Family said:

Well, this old policy  memo from 2009 refers to Service Centers or Officers that may “ encounter “ information of separation or divorce proceedings that are NOT finalized during the processing of a jointly filed I-751.

It also states that Joint Filing is not waived for those separated or in divorce proceedings that are not finalized…as an example of the confusion surrounding the divorce waiver timing . 

But I must confess, for all its challenges, our immigration process is more transparent than most other parts of the world. 
I am happy for your N-400! 

Oops https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/memos/i-751_Filed_ Prior_Termination_3apr09.pdf

A college graduate could be given a task to read up the laws and situations and come up with solution articles for review and approval but obviously it’s a very difficult task for USCIS. And kept difficult to screw people over 

Edited by Mobius1

Well the law actually protected you from finding yourself in removal proceedings, as we speak and thank heavens USCIS is not allowed to oversimplify or limit  . 

Had you been required ( in black and white ) to immediately notify USCIS of divorce filing back in Feb 2021, you would NOT have been able to produce a final divorce decree within the allotted RFE time frame  ( 87 days) and an NTA would have been issued. 

The attorneys you consulted were trying to protect you from facing enormous expense and stress of going through removal proceedings to reaffirm the I-751 w divorce waiver. Your 9 month divorce was actually speedy, most can drag on and on. They were able to advise you of that ambiguous window and you had the opportunity to wait until you had decree in hand…without being penalized. 

A little scrutiny on your marriage as you interview for the N-400,  is a small inconvenience compared to having to deal with deportation and I hope you pat yourself on the back for being pro active and getting plenty of legal advice that you actually followed. You took advantage of a loophole, so to speak. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.