annab864

Getting remarried and changing my name with expired extension letter

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I’m getting remarried soon and wanting to change my last name. I’ve never done it previously. My I-751 has been pending since 2019, needless to say my GC and extension letter already expired ages ago. I have a relatively fresh stamp in my passport though. This is what Social Security website says regarding proof of immigration status: 

19EB43DB-E821-4ED6-BE8E-CBA40975D5B4.thumb.jpeg.2179e1238053cb5c18b62d0101858e04.jpeg

Do i send them a copy of my stamp, along with an expired GC copy? It says no expired documents allowed! What can be done? Thank you!

what is your current name ? do u still use ur ex spouse last name ?

means u want to change from ur ex spouse last name to maiden name before u are remarried ?

and what name do you have on ur expired GC + ROC?

or u just want to change ur current name ( dont know its maiden / ex spouse last name) AFTER u got remarried and take ur new spouse's last name ?

Edited by Misscloud

29 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

what is your current name ? do u still use ur ex spouse last name ?

means u want to change from ur ex spouse last name to maiden name before u are remarried ?

and what name do you have on ur expired GC + ROC?

or u just want to change ur current name ( dont know its maiden / ex spouse last name) AFTER u got remarried and take ur new spouse's last name ?

I want to change my maiden name to my future spouse’s last name after we get married. I didn’t change my last name in my previous marriage, kept my maiden name so this is the first time for me. GC+ROC have my maiden name!

6 minutes ago, annab864 said:

I want to change my maiden name to my future spouse’s last name after we get married. I didn’t change my last name in my previous marriage, kept my maiden name so this is the first time for me. GC+ROC have my maiden name!

if i were you i will wait until my ROC process finish, before i change my name ( but thats me)

but if you want to change immediately after u got married, you can try to bring ur marriage certificate + GC + ROC letter to SSA office also ur adit stamp on the passport. adit stamp = green card 

Edited by Misscloud

13 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

if i were you i will wait until my ROC process finish, before i change my name ( but thats me)

Would you say it’s better this way because i’d have to contact USCIS about the name change and so on? I thought about it, it may be more headache than good to try and update it with them too and there is always a chance a mistake may come up in the documents later, even after the name change. Thank you for your answer!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, annab864 said:

I’m getting remarried soon and wanting to change my last name

Change you last name on what documents?

5 hours ago, Mike E said:

Change you last name on what documents?

All of them! But i have to start with SS card before i move on to the driver’s license and so on

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, annab864 said:

All of them!

Based on my understanding of I-90 instructions (which say you cannot use I-90 while I-751 is pending)  won’t  be able to change the name on your green card until after your 10 card is issued or during your I-751 interview (assuming you get one).  

1 minute ago, annab864 said:

But i have to start with SS card before i move on to the driver’s license and so on

You should be able to change your name on your SS card with your passport, marriage certificate, and the I-551 stamp in that passport. 

It will not surprise me if SSA stymies you by either requesting a green card in your new name or your passport in your new name with a new I-551 stamp. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
20 hours ago, annab864 said:

Hi everyone, 

I’m getting remarried soon and wanting to change my last name. I’ve never done it previously. My I-751 has been pending since 2019, needless to say my GC and extension letter already expired ages ago. I have a relatively fresh stamp in my passport though. This is what Social Security website says regarding proof of immigration status: 

19EB43DB-E821-4ED6-BE8E-CBA40975D5B4.thumb.jpeg.2179e1238053cb5c18b62d0101858e04.jpeg

Do i send them a copy of my stamp, along with an expired GC copy? It says no expired documents allowed! What can be done? Thank you!

Knowing the USCIS and how difficult it is to get anything through I'd wait. In my opinion there is no need to create unnecessary issues. Of course, you are free to do as you please.

13 hours ago, Mike E said:

Based on my understanding of I-90 instructions (which say you cannot use I-90 while I-751 is pending)  won’t  be able to change the name on your green card until after your 10 card is issued or during your I-751 interview (assuming you get one).  

You should be able to change your name on your SS card with your passport, marriage certificate, and the I-551 stamp in that passport. 

It will not surprise me if SSA stymies you by either requesting a green card in your new name or your passport in your new name with a new I-551 stamp. 

Thank you so much for your help! Yes, looks like it is more of a headache indeed! I will wait until it’s time to apply for N400 (i will be eligible in September), hopefully i can do it then with more ease! 

1 hour ago, kvito28 said:

Knowing the USCIS and how difficult it is to get anything through I'd wait. In my opinion there is no need to create unnecessary issues. Of course, you are free to do as you please.

Gosh, i know! I decided to wait! Thank you for your advice as well!

Filed: Timeline

Ok so the general order of things is  USCIS-->Ssa-->Dmv--->banks employers etc.

This is the general order because USCIS controls the everify/save system which other agencies use to verify status.  

You should have applied for ROC with the new married name you wanted. 

The problem is for non citizens everything circles back to the name USCIS has on file for you. SSA will change a citizens name no problem based on a marriage certificate but as an immigrant they need to verify your status with USCIS which means the name must match what USCIS says. DMV typically requires the SS card and they also verify you with USCIS so they will only issue in the name USCIS says.

So the general order is USCIS-->SSA-->Dmv,banks,employers etc.

You can also file for a name change through your local court but you would still have to file the i90 afterwards to update USCIS. If you are simply taking your spouse last name you shouldn't need to do a court name change, as I said USCIS will process it.

You can also wait until n400 to change it. 

So what can you do now? 

Send a letter to the service center and local office (NOT a new 751, just a letter). Include your noa and relevant information and ask in it for them to ammend your pending 751 to show your married name.  Send with a tracking number.  You probably won't get any response back. You may see a case updated for name status online as well but no guarantee they will issue the card in the new name. If you have an interview you can ask in it for the change but again no guarantee they will as sometimes people are told it's too late even though it's really not.

If the card comes in the old name you will either have to file i90 and pay the fee or wait until n400 filing. 

22 hours ago, annab864 said:

Would you say it’s better this way because i’d have to contact USCIS about the name change and so on? I thought about it, it may be more headache than good to try and update it with them too and there is always a chance a mistake may come up in the documents later, even after the name change. Thank you for your answer!

If it’s me I won’t change my name period. ( I never did even though my last name name is so weird for people in the US I have to repeat / spell it multiple times ) 
It just headache and complicated especially when u have pending case with USCIS 

but everyone is different. There many reason people want to change their name. If I can choose, I want to be lady Gaga II ( the second ) 😛

1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

Ok so the general order of things is  USCIS-->Ssa-->Dmv--->banks employers etc.

This is the general order because USCIS controls the everify/save system which other agencies use to verify status.  

The problem is for non citizens everything circles back to the name USCIS has on file for you. SSA will change a citizens name no problem based on a marriage certificate but as an immigrant they need to verify your status with USCIS which means the name must match what USCIS says. DMV typically requires the SS card and they also verify you with USCIS so they will only issue in the name USCIS says.

So the general order is USCIS-->SSA-->Dmv,banks,employers etc.

You can also file for a name change through your local court but you would still have to file the i90 afterwards to update USCIS. If you are simply taking your spouse last name you shouldn't need to do a court name change, as I said USCIS will process it.

You can also wait until n400 to change it. 

So what can you do now? 

Send a letter to the service center and local office (NOT a new 751, just a letter). Include your noa and relevant information and ask in it for them to ammend your pending 751 to show your married name.  Send with a tracking number.  You probably won't get any response back. You may see a case updated for name status online as well but no guarantee they will issue the card in the new name. If you have an interview you can ask in it for the change but again no guarantee they will as sometimes people are told it's too late even though it's really not.

If the card comes in the old name you will either have to file i90 and pay the fee or wait until n400 filing. 

This is very helpful, thank you! We are not married yet but the wedding is coming up this summer and I’m eligible to apply for citizenship this September. If my I-751 is still pending until then, i will just file N400 with an updated last name. Sending a letter to local office and service center seems to be a good idea too, i am just hoping my case gets processed soon (case has been ready to be scheduled for an interview for almost a year) so i don’t have to go through extra steps that may or may not be successful. Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, Misscloud said:

If it’s me I won’t change my name period. ( I never did even though my last name name is so weird for people in the US I have to repeat / spell it multiple times ) 
It just headache and complicated especially when u have pending case with USCIS 

but everyone is different. There many reason people want to change their name. If I can choose, I want to be lady Gaga II ( the second ) 😛

My last name is long and weird too, i am so tired of spelling it out to everyone 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 10:05 AM, Villanelle said:

There may have been mild confusion for USCIS  , if OP filed her I-751 w both a divorce decree from first husband and a “ new married name” and marriage certificate to her next husband. 

On 6/11/2022 at 12:08 PM, annab864 said:

This is very helpful, thank you! We are not married yet but the wedding is coming up this summer and I’m eligible to apply for citizenship this September. If my I-751 is still pending until then, i will just file N400 with an updated last name. Sending a letter to local office and service center seems to be a good idea too, i am just hoping my case gets processed soon (case has been ready to be scheduled for an interview for almost a year) so i don’t have to go through extra steps that may or may not be successful. Thanks again! 

I would avoid sending in new marriage info to your pending I-751 before  approval that the first marriage was entered in good faith and evidence you sent at filing met the standards.

More than likely you will be scheduled for an I-751 interview and will need to update both you new marital status and legal name change resulting from new marriage. 

Changing your name at N-400 application in September, 2022 is your best course and if I-751 is still pending be aware they will not automatically send a plastic card once they see there is an N-400 filed….so you have a bit more waiting. 

2 hours ago, Family said:

There may have been mild confusion for USCIS  , if OP filed her I-751 w both a divorce decree from first husband and a “ new married name” and marriage certificate to her next husband. 

I would avoid sending in new marriage info to your pending I-751 before  approval that the first marriage was entered in good faith and evidence you sent at filing met the standards.

More than likely you will be scheduled for an I-751 interview and will need to update both you new marital status and legal name change resulting from new marriage. 

Changing your name at N-400 application in September, 2022 is your best course and if I-751 is still pending be aware they will not automatically send a plastic card once they see there is an N-400 filed….so you have a bit more waiting. 

Thank you so much for your input! I am hopeful to get a combo interview, I’ve been waiting since 2019! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.