Jordan & Jenet

CR-1 Visa issued can't get CFO

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello All,

I need some assistance, We filed ROM months ago and it is still not processed, is there any way that my wife can get her CFO so that she can leave to the US without the certified processed copy of the report of marriage? This is getting crazy, We have waited so long and now this is stopping everything. 

We are both depressed as hell and don't know what to do at this point.

Thanks,
Jordan

2 minutes ago, Jordan & Jenet said:

Hello All,

I need some assistance, We filed ROM months ago and it is still not processed, is there any way that my wife can get her CFO so that she can leave to the US without the certified processed copy of the report of marriage? This is getting crazy, We have waited so long and now this is stopping everything. 

Thanks,
Jordan

So, do you have your Visa on hand? Have she tried to register for CFO and was she not allowed to take seminar because ROM on PSA paper is not available??  If so, have you reasoned with them that Consulate have backlog (provide maybe an email inquiry of their reply).

We mailed our ROM on Feb, opened/received by Sanfo Consulate on 03/22; we got our ROM back on 05/26 with registry date of 05/23.  They said transmission is in June, so waiting on monthend to request transmission number again.

You are likely to get some blowback from CFO but certainly there are people who made it through CFO without a ROM.  It can be done.  The rules for CFO are pretty much whatever the counselor says they rules are and therefore negotiable.  It could come down to luck of which counselor she gets and how they size up your wife from talking to her. 

I have also seen CFO occasionally come through at the last moment if there is a date specific crises such as "my flight is Tuesday and I'll lose my reservation and it will cost $500 if I can't make that flight and we are doing everything we can to get them to finish processing this ROM but they say it will take 6 months........"

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

1 hour ago, top_secret said:

You are likely to get some blowback from CFO but certainly there are people who made it through CFO without a ROM.  It can be done.

Agree.  I am one of those with a foreign marriage certificate but no ROM and got hassled by CFO for it, but I got my CFO certificate anyway.

@Jordan & Jenet, your wife is in a much better position than I was for the CFO counseling because you actually filed for ROM.  Just get those transmittal records from DFA.

Edited by Chancy
typo

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Agree.  I am one of those with a foreign marriage certificate but no ROM and got hassled by CFO for it, but I got my CFO certificate anyway.

@Jordan & Jenet, your wife is in a much better position than I was for the CFO counseling because you actually filed for ROM.  Just get those transmittal records from DFA.

Thank you, the first news really destroyed us. So this is giving us some hope and my wife will contact the counselor tomorrow again. I told her don't give up no matter what.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Jordan & Jenet said:

Hello All,

Thanks,
Jordan

Hey guys,

Please let me give you a word of advise. You have made it this far and we all know it is by far the most challenging experience you will probably ever go through! The CFO is the last hurdle before she gets on that plane! They absolutely LOVE to flex their muscles and abuse what little power they have it seems. Just stay the course and be strong for one another and things will be fine when she gets on that plane! It will all be worth it in the end! God Bless and good luck!

7 hours ago, Jordan & Jenet said:

This is getting crazy, We have waited so long and now this is stopping everything.

5 hours ago, Jordan & Jenet said:

Thank you, the first news really destroyed us.

Relax a bit. You need to be giving your wife confidence. We went through so many hurdles in the process along with Covid lock downs, sputum testing, 221g, 2nd medical because first expired. It's not the end of the world. You should know that this is a long process and be prepared for anything that comes your way. Keep a positive attitude, because getting down, depressed, "destroyed" over this is a waste of energy.

You are not the first to hit hurdles and definitely wont be the last. You are close to the finish line just stay strong.

Timeline
22 hours ago, Jordan & Jenet said:

Hello All,

Thanks,
Jordan

It has been over one year since we filed in Houston and we are still waiting.  For some unexplained  reason Houston would not accept the Death Certificate of previous husband and paperwork was sent to Manila for approval.  ROM has become a nightmare of paperwork and waiting on Manila to reply.

2 hours ago, PWB said:

It has been over one year since we filed in Houston and we are still waiting.  For some unexplained  reason Houston would not accept the Death Certificate of previous husband and paperwork was sent to Manila for approval.  ROM has become a nightmare of paperwork and waiting on Manila to reply.

@PWB Just curious on this.... The previous husband, was he a Filipino? If yes,  the death certificate that you submitted to Phil Houston Consulate, was it the PSA certified copy?

Timeline

No, and that is the problem.  The worst of circumstances, he was German and had returned home to Germany for heart treatment.  He attempted to travel back to the Philippines before he had fully recovered and died in flight.  The plane landed in Ethiopia and the hospital declared him deceased and issued a death certificate, that death certificate was good enough to get a CEN0MAR and a K1 visa, get married and all that, but it isn't good enough for the Houston Consulate who have refused to process our ROM. We have complained all the way to the Philippines Embassy in Washington and no help.  Our case is under review by PSA. 

7 hours ago, PWB said:

No, and that is the problem.  The worst of circumstances, he was German and had returned home to Germany for heart treatment.  He attempted to travel back to the Philippines before he had fully recovered and died in flight.  The plane landed in Ethiopia and the hospital declared him deceased and issued a death certificate, that death certificate was good enough to get a CEN0MAR and a K1 visa, get married and all that, but it isn't good enough for the Houston Consulate who have refused to process our ROM. We have complained all the way to the Philippines Embassy in Washington and no help.  Our case is under review by PSA. 

Maybe Report of Death? Hard though for which Consulate will that fall into or maybe report in Philippines.  Sorry, sounds complicated.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, hunny&me said:

Maybe Report of Death? Hard though for which Consulate will that fall into or maybe report in Philippines.  Sorry, sounds complicated.

The frustrating thing is his Death Certificate was approved for every aspects of our K1 visa and was never challenged any where except Houston.  Given the fact that Houston Consulate had a difficult time explaining what was needed.   They wanted a raised stamp.  We called then Ethiopian Hospital and was told the copy we had was the copy available.  Just as a side point there are no Ethiopian Consulate's open due to a war in their country and the Embassy was not helpful.   

1 hour ago, PWB said:

The frustrating thing is his Death Certificate was approved for every aspects of our K1 visa and was never challenged any where except Houston.  Given the fact that Houston Consulate had a difficult time explaining what was needed.   They wanted a raised stamp.  We called then Ethiopian Hospital and was told the copy we had was the copy available.  Just as a side point there are no Ethiopian Consulate's open due to a war in their country and the Embassy was not helpful.   

I see... Yes, Philippines is Biggie on Original or Certified documents (waiting for the time they join the digital era :)).  Maybe the death was reported to Germany? Maybe they have a centralized records (like PSA for Philippines) that your wife can request (ie - certified copy with raised stamp)?  Sorry, I feel your stress.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.