AfroKing

NVC AOS: Is three year Tax transcripts important?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello amazing community!!

I'm now at the NVC stage and I and my spouse had read thoroughly the Form I864 with its instructions and thanks to @pushbrk for his comment on some of my questions i asked earlier.

Pardon my naivety but reading through some of the forums here, I've seen people get RFE for things that are stated on the NVC website and i sought to rely on experiences rather than what NVC says as it seems they don't even follow their own rules.

The Form I-864 states that ONLY the Income Tax transcript for the recent year is required and one only have to provide tax information for the three prior years. I wonder if anyone has gotten RFE for submitting only the recent tax year? My wife has the current tax transcript for 2021 and 2019 and we intend submitting the W2( to be safe) but her transcript for 2020 is not available due to some IRS related stuff.

If we are to flow with the three years tax submission, does it mean we have to submit it in this sequence based on the above mentioned documents we have

2021----- Tax transcript and W2

2020(transcript not available)--------1040 + W2's?

2019-----Tax transcript and w2

please, if you have gotten any RFE for submitting just transcript for the recent year, i'll like to read your experience. 

Thanks for your help

2 hours ago, AfroKing said:

Hello amazing community!!

I'm now at the NVC stage and I and my spouse had read thoroughly the Form I864 with its instructions and thanks to @pushbrk for his comment on some of my questions i asked earlier.

Pardon my naivety but reading through some of the forums here, I've seen people get RFE for things that are stated on the NVC website and i sought to rely on experiences rather than what NVC says as it seems they don't even follow their own rules.

The Form I-864 states that ONLY the Income Tax transcript for the recent year is required and one only have to provide tax information for the three prior years. I wonder if anyone has gotten RFE for submitting only the recent tax year? My wife has the current tax transcript for 2021 and 2019 and we intend submitting the W2( to be safe) but her transcript for 2020 is not available due to some IRS related stuff.

If we are to flow with the three years tax submission, does it mean we have to submit it in this sequence based on the above mentioned documents we have

2021----- Tax transcript and W2

2020(transcript not available)--------1040 + W2's?

2019-----Tax transcript and w2

please, if you have gotten any RFE for submitting just transcript for the recent year, i'll like to read your experience. 

Thanks for your help

For my IR1 case, I only submitted 1 year of tax transcript and supporting W2s. But I also uploaded 3 of my most recent pay stubs. On the I 864 form I did write down what my income was for the 3 previous yrs, but only submitted my most recent tax transcript.  I was approved by NVC with no issues or delays. 

Last year filed required, additional 3 years optional.

Tax return/transcript is used to measure income of petitioner to poverty levels.

If the last year's income is high enough (now that is subjective). I would use only the last year

If too close to the poverty level for the household size the I would add the last 3 years to show a trend of either higher pay or being above.

That said current income is key.

We used the last filed year's income but then we are over double the income listed on guidelines.

FYI - the case is evaluated on what you submit. So submit accordingly.

Timeline
10 hours ago, Ashleyg333 said:

For my IR1 case, I only submitted 1 year of tax transcript and supporting W2s. But I also uploaded 3 of my most recent pay stubs. On the I 864 form I did write down what my income was for the 3 previous yrs, but only submitted my most recent tax transcript.  I was approved by NVC with no issues or delays. 

Thanks for your input. I was just being paranoid based on the different stories and experiences I've read in threads here. The wait is crazy already and just don't want any error resulting in going back at the end of the line at NVC

Timeline
6 hours ago, randy32 said:

Last year filed required, additional 3 years optional.

Tax return/transcript is used to measure income of petitioner to poverty levels.

If the last year's income is high enough (now that is subjective). I would use only the last year

If too close to the poverty level for the household size the I would add the last 3 years to show a trend of either higher pay or being above.

That said current income is key.

We used the last filed year's income but then we are over double the income listed on guidelines.

FYI - the case is evaluated on what you submit. So submit accordingly.

Our household number is 2 and poverty guideline is 22,887. Spouse makes around 38k, do you think this income gap is clear enough? We also plan to use the I-864EZ form instead of the I864 since we feel we wouldn't need a joint sponsor.

Thanks for your immense input

7 hours ago, AfroKing said:

Our household number is 2 and poverty guideline is 22,887. Spouse makes around 38k, do you think this income gap is clear enough? We also plan to use the I-864EZ form instead of the I864 since we feel we wouldn't need a joint sponsor.

Thanks for your immense input

You should be fine using just last year's income.

If you meet the requirements for I-864EZ the use it.

Just to be clear, the amount earned for the last 3 years is required to be listed but only the returns for the last year is required to be attached.

Keep it simple

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 5/29/2022 at 9:52 PM, Ashleyg333 said:

Please how did you Upload your Tax Transcript? The tax transcript is in Pdf when download from the IRS website. I'm wondering if we can just upload the pdf directly to CEAC website or we have to print out the pdf and then re-scan, to upload. Thanks

3 minutes ago, AfroKing said:

Please how did you Upload your Tax Transcript? The tax transcript is in Pdf when download from the IRS website. I'm wondering if we can just upload the pdf directly to CEAC website or we have to print out the pdf and then re-scan, to upload. Thanks

You can upload the pdf directly,  no need to print out.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Ashleyg333 said:

You can upload the pdf directly,  no need to print out.

Please, an additional question. My wife's name was not fully written on her transcript. Her fist name is 7 letter words but just four was typed, her middle name was written in initials and her last name which is six letter words wasn't written in full, just four first alphabets was typed. Is this how its usually written or this is a typo from IRS we should be concerned about? She did not make any name mistake on her 1040 as we have a copy as sent to IRS.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You keep saying "tax transcript".  It must be a "Tax Return Transcript".  There are other kinds of tax transcripts that will not work.

I keep wondering if you are reading the form instructions, as the instructions are quite clear on what kind of transcript and what is required.  What is not listed as required, is optional.  

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

2 hours ago, AfroKing said:

Please, an additional question. My wife's name was not fully written on her transcript. Her fist name is 7 letter words but just four was typed, her middle name was written in initials and her last name which is six letter words wasn't written in full, just four first alphabets was typed. Is this how its usually written or this is a typo from IRS we should be concerned about? She did not make any name mistake on her 1040 as we have a copy as sent to IRS.

Not a typo, don't worry about how many letters of her name are on it.

For me, depending on the year, I have 3 different variations.

first four of last name only

first 4 of last name and first 4 first name

first 4 of last name, middle initial and first 4 first name

Filed: Other Timeline
On 6/13/2022 at 7:37 AM, pushbrk said:

You keep saying "tax transcript".  It must be a "Tax Return Transcript".  There are other kinds of tax transcripts that will not work.

I keep wondering if you are reading the form instructions, as the instructions are quite clear on what kind of transcript and what is required.  What is not listed as required, is optional.  

Echo to this, I submitted my previous year's Tax Return Transcript which you can get from IRS site.  I-864 require you to write down income from past 3 years, but only 1 tax return transcript is required and that's what I did and it was accepted by NVC.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.