Bill Hamze

How to transfer our child's vaccination records to the US?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I tried searching here on how to bring our USC child's vaccination records to the U.S. and making them official for admission into schools there, but I couldn't find anything. 

Background:

- I'm a USC and my wife is a new LPR. She already got her IR1 visa stamped into her passport.

- We're scheduled to arrive in the U.S. in a week. 

- We have a daughter together. Filed a CRBA and thus she is a USC. 

- We did her vaccinations here in Vietnam and have a nice record of every shot. Has all the names of vaccines, injection dates, doctor stamps, etc.

- We followed her vaccination schedule most closely to the one recommended by WHO.

We're going to take her vaccination record with us, but how do we make it official in the U.S.?

Will the Vietnamese records itself suffice? 

Or do we take them to a new pediatrician and explain that we need to make the record official and recognized by the U.S. school systems? 

Could we somehow find a blank yellow card and write the vaccinations in ourselves, and have a doctor review it, then sign / stamp it?

I'm sure we're not the first ones to go through this, so I'd love to understand how this process is usually done. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Bill Hamze said:

Will the Vietnamese records itself suffice?

They might, especially if you get a certified translation into English.  See below.

1 hour ago, Bill Hamze said:

do we take them to a new pediatrician and explain that we need to make the record official and recognized by the U.S. school systems?

Maybe a pediatrician can transcribe them somehow, but most (for liability purposes) might insist on running titer tests.  See below.

Why don't you contact the administration of the school district where you plan to move, and ask?  There's no uniform policy.  Avoid overthinking.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
2 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

They might, especially if you get a certified translation into English.  See below.

Maybe a pediatrician can transcribe them somehow, but most (for liability purposes) might insist on running titer tests.  See below.

Why don't you contact the administration of the school district where you plan to move, and ask?  There's no uniform policy.  Avoid overthinking.

Yeah, wouldn’t hurt us to email the district and ask. Thanks. I’m sure they have a process since it’s pretty diverse there with lots of immigrants.

Re translation, probably no need since it’s all just names of vaccines, dates, and stamps. Not much to translate if anything. 

Timeline

We just used our sons records from Vietnam and gave them to the doctor here when he had a physical for Kindegarten in USA. We also showed the school nurse as well. Was no problem at all since as you stated many schools are culturally diverse now. Good luck

Timeline
42 minutes ago, craig5977 said:

We just used our sons records from Vietnam and gave them to the doctor here when he had a physical for Kindegarten in USA. We also showed the school nurse as well. Was no problem at all since as you stated many schools are culturally diverse now. Good luck

Awesome, that’s great to know. Thanks!

It would probably be different from state to state and probably even from school district to school district, but for us in California the school accepted original hand filled "baby book" from the Philippines along with the records generated during the immigration physical.   They were not overly fussy about the format or any sort of "officialness". just if their was a record that the immunizations took place.  Later during a routine physical at a Kaiser Permanente clinic, the nurse there very carefully went through any and all records of vaccinations and imputed them all in the the California State Immunization database so their now exist a computer record of all vaccinations.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline

@top_secret Funny that you should mention Kaiser. I was looking at Kaiser health insurance plans for where we will live. It would be nice if we got a nurse willing to go through my daughters vax records and enter them into a database to make things easier for future enrollments.

12 hours ago, Bill Hamze said:

@top_secret Funny that you should mention Kaiser. I was looking at Kaiser health insurance plans for where we will live. It would be nice if we got a nurse willing to go through my daughters vax records and enter them into a database to make things easier for future enrollments.

With Kaiser it appeared that updating and computerizing any and all vaccination records was a front and center number one priority action item for new enrollees.   They proactively did the same with both my stepdaughter and wife at their first visits for any reason.  Now all the vaccinations are entered in the State of California database and we can just download a fancy pdf with the official state seal and all, which is quite convenient. 

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We had no problems with the school or the doctors taking our yellow vaccine books and put it into their records.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.