Ben & Katy

Uploading documents more than 6 MB to N400 electronic application

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

All,

I started the process for the N400 for my spouse on Friday.  I had a difficult time uploading each of our taxes for 2019, 2020 and 2021 in pdf form because it kept saying the file was over 6 MB.  

I finally decided to remove some pages out of the PDF to make it work.  I only included the 1040 and the state tax pages.  

I didn’t want to do it that way but I felt like I had no choice in order to make it all fit.  I have not submitted it yet as it is still in rough draft status.  

should I submit it like that or is there another way to include all pages of each tax return??

Timeline
Just now, Pleasework89 said:

On your search engine type compress pdf. It will shrink? the size of the file to make it fit.

Are you allowed to upload compressed files in a zip folder to the USCIS application?

Timeline
7 hours ago, Bob in Boston said:

Go to IRS.gov and download the transcripts, they come in .PDF. You can upload them.

Are the transcripts smaller than a tax return?

5 hours ago, EmilyW said:

Has the process changed because, when I filled in my N400, tax transcripts were not asked for.

we just had the intrview in March and yes they were asked for. marriage based

Section D of required evidence

D. Tax Returns and Overdue Taxes. Bring photocopies of income tax returns that you filed with the IRS for the past 5 years, or 3 years if filing for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen. Tax returns are not required for every case. However, USCIS strongly encourages you to bring your tax returns; especially if you are filing based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or have traveled outside the United States for a period that lasted 6 months or more. You can request copies of Federal tax documents at your local IRS office or www.irs.gov. You may also bring an original IRS tax transcript listing tax information for the past 5 years (3 years if filing on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen). To obtain a free IRS tax transcript, visit www.irs.gov. Select “Tools” and then select “Order a Return or Account Transcript.” For assistance, you can also call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946. If you have any Federal, state, or local taxes that are overdue, bring: (1) A signed agreement from the IRS, state, or local tax office showing you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and (2) Documentation from the IRS, state, or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

Edited by Bob in Boston

Timeline
On 5/22/2022 at 4:06 AM, Bob in Boston said:

Go to IRS.gov and download the transcripts, they come in .PDF. You can upload them.

So I downloaded the tax transcripts this morning after creating a login with the IRS.  

I deleted all my tax return uploads from Friday that I had uploaded and replaced them with the tax transcripts from 2019, 2020 and 2021. 

USCIS already sent an electronic letter saying that they received my request and were going to reutilize the fingerprints that my spouse took in December 2020. 

37 minutes ago, rubanitka said:

Which one would suffice? Return Transcript or Wage and Income? Thank you for the info

We just did the return. was good through all 3 processes. green card, 751 and N400. They ask you what you need it for , we chose immigration and thats what they recommended

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.