purpleviking

Which application?

27 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!  I hate posting this in here as I know it probably annoys a lot of people.  Can someone direct me to which application I should be applying for?  I swear the U.S makes this so confusing compared to what I went through with getting my wife to Canada.  hah.

I am a Canadian looking to move to the U.S. with my family.

My wife was born a U.S citizen (now dual citizen - Canada/US), and we've been married for 10 years.  We also have 2 kids that are also dual citizen.  I am the only solo holder.  haha.

Can someone just please help me understand which application I should be looking to apply for in order to obtain residence in the U.S with my family?  It's so overwhelming and I really just need someone to say - this is the one you should be looking into.  Then I can at least have somewhere to start.  Heck I don't even mind paying for a lawyer at this point if anyone knows one.

Thank you everyone, and have a great night!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Below is a good guideline to start. However always use official uscis website for latest forms and instructions.

In short your wife will file a petition for you. Upon approval the visa application process will start as a next phase. Overall it may take 1.5 to 2 years.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

1 hour ago, purpleviking said:

Hello everyone!  I hate posting this in here as I know it probably annoys a lot of people.  Can someone direct me to which application I should be applying for?  I swear the U.S makes this so confusing compared to what I went through with getting my wife to Canada.  hah.

I am a Canadian looking to move to the U.S. with my family.

My wife was born a U.S citizen (now dual citizen - Canada/US), and we've been married for 10 years.  We also have 2 kids that are also dual citizen.  I am the only solo holder.  haha.

Can someone just please help me understand which application I should be looking to apply for in order to obtain residence in the U.S with my family?  It's so overwhelming and I really just need someone to say - this is the one you should be looking into.  Then I can at least have somewhere to start.  Heck I don't even mind paying for a lawyer at this point if anyone knows one.

Thank you everyone, and have a great night!

Your wife is the one who needs to file a petition for you ^^ 

Right now, you don't apply for anything until the I-130 is approved. 

So, follow the guides. I suggest you file the I-130 online. 

Then you and your wife should hang out in the Canada forum to see the steps you should take before the interview. 

Montreal can be fairly harsh when it comes to domicile.

Your wife and kids should start researching ways to establish domicile in the US. 

Edited by ROK2USA

1 minute ago, purpleviking said:

We are in Calgary, so looks like for us it'd be Vancouver.

Anyway - I will start looking into the I-130 for starters.  Thank you!

All IV interviews take place in Montreal. You do not get a choice. 

In Canada, immigrant visas are processed at the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal. For general information on immigrant visas, please visit the State Department. For information on applying for an immigrant visa in Canada, please consult the tabs below.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Spousal visas take 1-2 years from when your wife files the I-130 petition for you.  Montreal is very backed up for interviews so it could take more than 2 years.  She should consider moving to the US at least six months before your anticipated interview in Montreal, to get a job to show sufficient US-based income to sponsor you, and to establish a US domicile.  Montreal is very strict on US domicile for the petitioner.  Time apart may be unavoidable.  There is also the option of a joint sponsor in the US, she should read the I-864 and instructions to plan ahead.  Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Spousal visas take 1-2 years from when your wife files the I-130 petition for you.  Montreal is very backed up for interviews so it could take more than 2 years.  She should consider moving to the US at least six months before your anticipated interview in Montreal, to get a job to show sufficient US-based income to sponsor you, and to establish a US domicile.  Montreal is very strict on US domicile for the petitioner.  Time apart may be unavoidable.  There is also the option of a joint sponsor in the US, she should read the I-864 and instructions to plan ahead.  Good luck!

Both these things have seem to change. Montreal interview back log is almost gone. It is currently taking about 2 months from DQ to interview. Also since Covid, Montreal has been a bit lenient with domicile. Lots of approvals with "intent to domicile" if you head to the Canadian forum. 

5 minutes ago, waterlooengineer said:

Both these things have seem to change. Montreal interview back log is almost gone. It is currently taking about 2 months from DQ to interview. Also since Covid, Montreal has been a bit lenient with domicile. Lots of approvals with "intent to domicile" if you head to the Canadian forum. 

And in a couple months/ years they could change and be a little more harsh... always a good idea to keep informed about the current mood of the consulate. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, ROK2USA said:

And in a couple months/ years they could change and be a little more harsh... always a good idea to keep informed about the current mood of the consulate. 

For sure always better to be over prepared but it's tough for couples to separate and move to the US a few months prior. What Montreal has been recently doing is issuing 221G for extensive administrative processing. 

If God forbid, that gets issued, specially with your spouse moving ahead of the US... it can be a long separation. 

1 minute ago, waterlooengineer said:

For sure always better to be over prepared but it's tough for couples to separate and move to the US a few months prior. What Montreal has been recently doing is issuing 221G for extensive administrative processing. 

If God forbid, that gets issued, specially with your spouse moving ahead of the US... it can be a long separation. 

Problem is 221g in Canada can be 1 month or more~ so what is better? 

Partner move to the US 3-4 weeks before interview or you have to move after denial and wait on the visa being issued? 

Best is to pay attention to what Montreal is doing month to month so couples living in Canada can make the best decision for fast transition to the US. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, ROK2USA said:

Partner move to the US 3-4 weeks before interview or you have to move after denial and wait on the visa being issued? 

Best is to pay attention to what Montreal is doing month to month so couples living in Canada can make the best decision for fast transition to the US. 

Exactly. I agree with you and this is why I provided the latest info. Rather than repeating the same old statement that we have been seeing on the forums. "Montreal is back logged. Montreal is very strict with domicile." 

4 minutes ago, waterlooengineer said:

Exactly. I agree with you and this is why I provided the latest info. Rather than repeating the same old statement that we have been seeing on the forums. "Montreal is back logged. Montreal is very strict with domicile." 

Yep! My modus operandi is to link the https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/772877-part-iv-the-big-ir1cr1-dqd-message-group/#:~:text=61-,part IV%2C the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...,-By Hawk Riders

This way people know the latest updates and what is needed for visa issuance

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

It's not simply a 221g.  They are issuing a number of DS-5535's and people are stuck in AP purgatory for an eternity.  It seems to be a trade off for the previous waits for interviews. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.