Kymarla Mcfarlane

Consular took my passport for over a month🥺

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am onthe last stretch of my visa journey and it’s so frustrating that I decided to share my story. I know I am probably not the only one who is going through this, however, I do feel sometimes alone in my journey. 

So first, a back story. My father who is an American citizen filed for me in August 2018. At that time I was going to school in the states and I wanted to my adjust my status. Unfortunately , I had to come back to my home country due to financial reasons and I strongly believe that caused a delay in my journey  because I had to tell USCIS that I’m not in the country anymore. It took a whole year for the petition to be approved and another year for them to approve that I was no longer in the United States. So it was in 2020 when NVC contacted me stating that they have my case. That was in September and by December I was DQ. So we all know that due to coronavirus as well as the ban that Donald Trump placed on an immigration it further delayed my case for another year and a half.

Surprisingly I received an email from NVC stating the embassy has my case and  my interview date is April 5, 2022. Fast forward the interview was horrible I felt as if I was a criminal being interrogated and to be honest I bawled my eyes out because I really believed that it’s not going to be a good  outcome. The officer did take my passport and documents and gave me a 221g requesting tax documents and a marriage certificate for my parents and I submitted everything within a week time which was April 11, 2022.  

It’s been over a month now and I heard nothing from the embassy regarding my case and I check my status each day and it states that my visa has been refused. I am worried and anxious practically a ball of emotions and I don’t know what else to do. I have been waiting on this so long. I paused furthering my studies because of this and I have just been doing odd jobs to keep my self occupied until my time came. Now I feel as if I am wasting my years away and I need to get the ball rolling. I started my visa journey at 18 now I am 22 years old. 

As anyone been through this, please let me know your experience🙏🏾

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Why was your visa refused? 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Timeline
17 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Why was your visa refused? 

OP said it was refused under  221g for submission of additional documents.

To OP -- this is not a permanent refusal. It is an interim refusal pending your submission of the requested documents and the consular review of them.  I know you have been in the process for a long time, but the Embassy has only had your case for a couple of months.  It will take a little more time to review the additional documentation and complete the process.  Hang in there -- the end is in sight!

31 minutes ago, jan22 said:

OP said it was refused under  221g for submission of additional documents.

To OP -- this is not a permanent refusal. It is an interim refusal pending your submission of the requested documents and the consular review of them.  I know you have been in the process for a long time, but the Embassy has only had your case for a couple of months.  It will take a little more time to review the additional documentation and complete the process.  Hang in there -- the end is in sight!

This,

OP, you have to understand, while people think as soon as you submit additional documents to the embassy that someone takes them and reads them, the reality is that they get added to the pile of all the other additional documents people had to submit and it takes time for them to get to the top, linked to your case, and reviewed. Even at quiet embassies this can take a couple of week, the busier the embassy the longer it takes. As Jan says, it should pretty much be a formality from here, just waiting for them to review. 

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I just want to know if it is going to be issued or not. There was this girl who was  in the same situation as me and they asked her for additional documents. Her interview was a week before mine and they sent her an email recently stating that she should collect her passport. I do understand that each case is different but I am wondering if I would be as lucky as her. She waited a month and two weeks. 

31 minutes ago, Kymarla Mcfarlane said:

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I just want to know if it is going to be issued or not. There was this girl who was  in the same situation as me and they asked her for additional documents. Her interview was a week before mine and they sent her an email recently stating that she should collect her passport. I do understand that each case is different but I am wondering if I would be as lucky as her. She waited a month and two weeks. 

If you provided them what they asked for they should issue you a visa. They don’t keep your passport if they don’t think you are eligible for a visa. 

1 hour ago, Kymarla Mcfarlane said:

I just want to know if it is going to be issued or not.

No one here is in a position to tell you whether it will be issued.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You were in the US on a F1 visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.